PDA

View Full Version : Obama Campaigning

Gerry Clinchy
09-26-2011, 08:27 AM
Heard clips of Obama speaking to the Black Caucus. His tone & speaking cadence sounded so much like Rev. Wright that it's a little bit scary.

He's chanting, "Pass this bill," for a bill that hasn't even been presented. Analysts theorize that he is simply setting up a campaign strategy for painting the Rs as obstructionist when the bill doesn't pass (while he knows full well that many Ds also don't believe in another stimulus).

Rhetoric and blaiming someone else was workable in 2008, but it really does seem like the environment has changed ... and man-on-the-street is not convinced that just throwing govt money against the wall is the best answer.

Considering that 2008's campaign strategy had some brilliance to it ... use of the internet, etc., has the Obama campaign team lost its ingenuity?

M&K's Retrievers
09-26-2011, 08:52 AM
How about his bashing Perry as the governor of a state that's on fire because he doesn't believe in climate change. I didn't realize that arson or electrical shorts were caused by climate change. Friggin' jerk!! :confused:

road kill
09-26-2011, 09:46 AM
Heard clips of Obama speaking to the Black Caucus. His tone & speaking cadence sounded so much like Rev. Wright that it's a little bit scary.

He's chanting, "Pass this bill," for a bill that hasn't even been presented. Analysts theorize that he is simply setting up a campaign strategy for painting the Rs as obstructionist when the bill doesn't pass (while he knows full well that many Ds also don't believe in another stimulus).

Rhetoric and blaiming someone else was workable in 2008, but it really does seem like the environment has changed ... and man-on-the-street is not convinced that just throwing govt money against the wall is the best answer.

Considering that 2008's campaign strategy had some brilliance to it ... use of the internet, etc., has the Obama campaign team lost its ingenuity?

Should have given thought to that a couple three years ago, like I asked everyone to!!!!!

PRESS ON!!!!!:cool:

RK

zeus3925
09-26-2011, 10:32 AM
When you are with the homies, you speak like the homies. If spoke Harvard there, you ducks would be all over him for that.

BonMallari
09-26-2011, 10:55 AM
Let him campaign all he wants...it's all he knows..it's the community organizer in him....but as Uncle Bill has posted in here before,I am more afraid of those that would vote another term for him that BHO himself

huntinman
09-26-2011, 10:58 AM
When you are with the homies, you speak like the homies. If spoke Harvard there, you ducks would be all over him for that.

Yeah Hillary and Al Gore tried that. That worked real well:rolleyes:

road kill
09-26-2011, 11:21 AM
He is doing 1 helluva job zeus.....you should be proud!!:D

RK

Raymond Little
09-26-2011, 12:56 PM
Yeah Hillary and Al Gore tried that. That worked real well:rolleyes:

Obammer came of just as condisending as they did, but did not get the thrashing in the media because his is.................BLACK.:razz:

Gerry Clinchy
09-26-2011, 01:13 PM

Zeus, my thought was that he was "talking down" to them, as he would have spoken differently if he were making a Presidential address. If he were in a local social club, he might talk in "vernacular" ... but these are legislators, elected officials.

zeus3925
09-26-2011, 01:47 PM
He is doing 1 helluva job zeus.....you should be proud!!:D

RK

Tell you the truth, RK! Obama has not shown the fire-in-the-belly I would like to see. But the other side isn't coming up with much that I could vote for. Give me a candidate I could vote for

zeus3925
09-26-2011, 01:49 PM
Zeus, my thought was that he was "talking down" to them, as he would have spoken differently if he were making a Presidential address. If he were in a local social club, he might talk in "vernacular" ... but these are legislators, elected officials.

"W" knows the king's English very well. Yet he chose to speak to the masses in the tone of the unwashed. It worked for him.

Gerry Clinchy
09-26-2011, 01:56 PM
"W" knows the king's English very well. Yet he chose to speak to the masses in the tone of the unwashed. It worked for him.

But this group was not "the masses" ... these are elected officials. He should treat them with some degree of respect.

Granted, many of them, like good, ole Maxine may not deserve the respect, but he should be respecting her position as an elected official.

Why would we hold up W as the role model for O, when O & so many others aver that W was so not a role model to emulate?

zeus3925
09-26-2011, 02:27 PM
But this group was not "the masses" ... these are elected officials. He should treat them with some degree of respect.

Granted, many of them, like good, ole Maxine may not deserve the respect, but he should be respecting her position as an elected official.

Why would we hold up W as the role model for O, when O & so many others aver that W was so not a role model to emulate?

As they used to tell us in public speaking class, speeches are more than words. it is tone and non verbal communication. Tailor it to the audience or suffer the consequence.

I'm the last one to hold up W as a role model. But, was he an effective communicator with his intended audience? I would say so. After all, he did lose an election mainly when he spoke Yale to the masses in the campaign. After that he went folksy.

Gerry Clinchy
09-26-2011, 02:39 PM
However, when the President speaks, not just his immediate audience is going to hear it. So, if he might strike a chord with that portion of the audience, but the rest of those who will hear that speech may react in an opposite way.

I'd have to say that the best speeches are those that can be cogent with information, inspirational in their delivery (by virtue of conviction rather than gimmics), and be inclusive of the largest possible audience.

If I was Allen West in that audience, the delivery would not have won me over. But maybe there is nothing O could do to win over Allen West :-)

zeus3925
09-26-2011, 02:52 PM
However, when the President speaks, not just his immediate audience is going to hear it. So, if he might strike a chord with that portion of the audience, but the rest of those who will hear that speech may react in an opposite way.

I'd have to say that the best speeches are those that can be cogent with information, inspirational in their delivery (by virtue of conviction rather than gimmics), and be inclusive of the largest possible audience.

If I was Allen West in that audience, the delivery would not have won me over. But maybe there is nothing O could do to win over Allen West :-)

On a scale of 1 to 10, I would rank this as 0.5 as an issue. There are some other matters of import where the critics could spend their time yammering. For me it is a damn nice day out and I am going to run some blinds. Have a good one.

Gerry Clinchy
09-26-2011, 03:11 PM
Not trying to be contrary, Zeus ... but it is, perhaps, a core issue of the problem with DC v. the citizens.

The "powers that be" don't have to "talk down" to us to make their points or win our support. As long as they view their constituency as the "unwashed masses" that only they can "take care of" because they are so much smarter, we have a core problem.

I think there are plenty of people right on this forum that are intelligent enough to understand good English without the gimmics.

Gerry Clinchy
10-17-2011, 12:15 PM
Time for another bus tour ... this time VA and NC
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/10/17/obama-heads-out-on-bus-tour-to-sell-jobs-plan-amid-anger-at-corporate-america/

However, this time there will be no "campaigning" ... and the DNC will not be chipping in for the cost.