PDA

View Full Version : Texas A & M Officially Joins SEC

Franco
09-26-2011, 11:43 AM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/6946317/texas-aggies-hit-tipping-point-bolting-sec

Welcome Aggies to the best Football Conference in the land. I personally am happy to have such a great school, one loaded with class and character join us!

The Big 12's loss is the SEC's gain. Now, we just need one more quality university to join so that we can balance the two Divisions of the SEC.

aandw
09-26-2011, 11:50 AM
is it strickly a move for more money or do they think they will compete for championships?
i would prefer the other team come from the east (west virginia?) so Auburn can stay in the west. if they move to the east i fear Alabama will lose the every year game with Tennessee.

Raymond Little
09-26-2011, 11:57 AM
Now Vanderbilt can have some competition for the worst record in the SEC.:)

aandw
09-26-2011, 12:05 PM
i would think A&M will be better than that. fight it out with ole miss & miss state for the 5th-7th bowl bid. vandy is in the east division, i believe

road kill
09-26-2011, 12:07 PM
What exactly is the point?

RK

BonMallari
09-26-2011, 12:13 PM
guess Auburn , Miss St, and TAMU can argue about who has the best Vet school in the conference..they may be the conference doormat in football for a couple of years until they learn to recruit out of the shadow of Austin and prepare for SEC football...they will be an immediate threat in baseball, and basketball...and they may be dominant in track

Thanksgivings just wont be the same in our family without the annual UT vs A&M game..

TAMU is strong academically and now the SEC has their own built in Army cadets complete with knee high campaign boots and polished sabers...its a good school and would be proud if my son ever decided to go there..lots of good memories visiting the school...its produced some very fine people who have made a big impact on my life...sad to see them go

huntinman
09-26-2011, 12:33 PM
All this conference jumping is about TV revenues and nothing more. Money talks and everything else walks.

Hew
09-26-2011, 01:49 PM
Thanksgivings just wont be the same in our family without the annual UT vs A&M game..
I think you'll still get to keep that game. Most (if not all) SEC teams, the SEC sked is done by T-giving. Florida plays fsu on Thanksgiving weekend most years. I think UGA/GA Tech and South Carolina/Clempson also play on that weekend, too.

Don't worry...you'll get to cry yourself to sleep on that weekend just like a host of other out-of-conference fans do every year, too. :)

Hew
09-26-2011, 01:52 PM
I keep hearing Mizzou as the 14th. WTF?!? That would be a disappointment. I'd like to see West Virginia or Virginia Tech.

Raymond Little
09-26-2011, 01:53 PM
guess LSU, Auburn , Miss St, and TAMU can argue about who has the best Vet school in the conference..they may be the conference doormat in football for a couple of years until they learn to recruit out of the shadow of Austin and prepare for SEC football...they will be an immediate threat in baseball, and basketball...and they may be dominant in track

TAMU is strong academically and now the SEC has their own built in Army cadets complete with knee high campaign boots and polished sabers...its a good school and would be proud if my son ever decided to go there..lots of good memories visiting the school...its produced some very fine people who have made a big impact on my life...sad to see them go
Fixed it for ya Bon;-)

Franco
09-26-2011, 02:34 PM
I think the move is about being more competitve on the football field which is very important because of the revenue Football delivers to universities.

When you look at how the SEC players dominate the early rounds of the NFL draft, the athletes with an eye towards the NFL lean towards the SEC. All of which will help T A&M. No doubt it will help them recuit within the state and put them on an even playing field with U of Texas.

I had heard the Mizzou was going to stay put.

On a side note, I don't think there is any chance that the coaches poll will vote LSU and Bama as #1 and #2 for political reasons.

Jacob Hawkes
09-26-2011, 03:37 PM
The move is about gaining the Houston market. I like it cause it brings back the old LSU/TAMU rivalry.

M&K's Retrievers
09-26-2011, 03:50 PM
The move is about gaining the Houston market. I like it cause it brings back the old LSU/TAMU rivalry.

Huh????:confused:

Goose
09-26-2011, 03:54 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/6946317/texas-aggies-hit-tipping-point-bolting-sec

Welcome Aggies to the best Football Conference in the land. I personally am happy to have such a great school, one loaded with class and character join us!

The Big 12's loss is the SEC's gain. Now, we just need one more quality university to join so that we can balance the two Divisions of the SEC.

I couldn't be happier with the move. It might take us a few years to compete in football with such an excellent conference but our basketball is looking better and our track teams only win national titles every year. In fact, I think we stole the track coach from LSU.

It will be sad to lose the Thanksgiving game with Texas but it wouldn't make any sense given that there are such strong teams in the SEC. Might have to change the lyrics to our War Hymn.

I can't wait even though it makes me feel old:(

Jacob Hawkes
09-26-2011, 06:50 PM
Huh????:confused:

What part did you not get?

Franco
09-26-2011, 07:59 PM
Here is the Wall St Journal's take on what's happening in College Football.
.................................................. .......

The rest of college football formally surrendered to the Southeastern Conference Sunday, ending a decades-long war that had become hopelessly one-sided.
The surrender took place just outside Appomattox, Va. SEC officials declined to explain why this site was chosen.
"What began 85 years ago in Pasadena has been finished today," the SEC said in a statement, referring to Alabama's 1926 Rose Bowl victory over Washington, which established Southern schools as a threat. "This is our sport now."
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204422404576592773857297688.html

Jacob Hawkes
09-26-2011, 08:01 PM
LOL. I read that elsewhere.

M&K's Retrievers
09-26-2011, 09:34 PM
What part did you not get?

Why would either the SEC or A&M expect to pick up any more of the Houston market than they already have?

Franco
09-26-2011, 10:52 PM
I'll speculate what Jacob is thinking by saying that having a major Texas U in the SEC would be a huge draw for east Texas and the Houston area. Especially, with the Big 12 falling apart. Texans are a proud football people and they will support a U playing with the big boys. From a recruiting standpoint, it should be a windfall for T A & M.

Cowtown
09-26-2011, 11:13 PM
I'll speculate what Jacob is thinking by saying that having a major Texas U in the SEC would be a huge draw for east Texas and the Houston area. Especially, with the Big 12 falling apart. Texans are a proud football people and they will support a U playing with the big boys. From a recruiting standpoint, it should be a windfall for T A & M.

Texas and Texas A&M already garner the largest fan bases in Texas and historically their fair share of the best recruiting classes in the nation.

TAMU already owns Houston in terms of fans and recruiting.

For 2012, according to Rivals, Texas has the #1 class and A$M has the #8 class (they had the talent in that class long before the SEC move).

Can't garner much more or do much better than than, regardless of conference.

Jacob Hawkes
09-27-2011, 01:51 AM
Texas and Texas A&M already garner the largest fan bases in Texas and historically their fair share of the best recruiting classes in the nation.

TAMU already owns Houston in terms of fans and recruiting.

For 2012, according to Rivals, Texas has the #1 class and A$M has the #8 class (they had the talent in that class long before the SEC move).

Can't garner much more or do much better than than, regardless of conference.

You just proved my point. It's about expanding in area as well as an okay team. Prior to that, The Big 12/10/whatever had that market. Now, it's The SEC. That said, LSU plucks as many Houston area recruits as it wants.

That's why there were rumors of Maryland joining. They'd get The DC Market. Expansion is as much about beefing up a conference (In most conferences.) as it is to tv contracts and capitalizing on big business for The SEC. I wish we would just go ahead & pick up Free Shoes U, VT, and either GT (Original SEC member. I do detest them.), Clemson, Miami (When the Canes are good, CFB is exciting.), TX (The SEC has the fortitude to tell the shorthorns where they can stick their ideas on things.), or OU. That would be a sick 16 team conference. I'm curious to see what Commissioner Slive has in mind. He's like the polar opposite to Beebe.

Hew
09-27-2011, 05:47 AM
That's why there were rumors of Maryland joining. They'd get The DC Market. Expansion is as much about beefing up a conference (In most conferences.) as it is to tv contracts and capitalizing on big business for The SEC. I wish we would just go ahead & pick up Free Shoes U, VT, and either GT (Original SEC member. I do detest them.), Clemson, Miami (When the Canes are good, CFB is exciting.), TX (The SEC has the fortitude to tell the shorthorns where they can stick their ideas on things.), or OU.
I ain't seeing the Maryland thing at all; DC TV market or not. They're wrong for the SEC (and vice versa) on so many levels. I also don't think there will be expansion from within the same state as a current SEC team....ruling out fsu, scUM, Ga. Tech and Clempson. The Big East is on the verge of unravelling and the ACC just tacitly admitted they're not a football conference by picking up Syracuse and Pitt...which means that West By God Virginia and Virginia Tech are RIPE for the pickin'. OU or OSU would be great...a girl can dream can't she? I'm glad we got A&M instead of Texas...as a UF alum I don't think we could tolerate any competition in the arrogant d-bag fan category. :D

dback
09-27-2011, 07:47 AM
I've been saying for over a year now this thing is headed for 4 'super conferences'. Don't know how it will all shake out but the SEC and it's success in many ways is a major factor in the moves....BCS might be on it's way out....playoff system enter left stage. From what I read, Oklahoma folks don't appear to cozy up to the idea of splitting up the two schools and sounds like they favor a move west with the shorthorns and Tech to form a PAC 16 keeping those four schools in one of 4 pods. Texas will need to make some concessions for that to happen in light of the fact that we just finished our own years long battle gaining concessions from U$C. They (and others) would be none to happy allowing Texas to play to their own tune. Going to be interesting but demanding to be the 10 ton longho......err... elephant in the room doesn't make for functional families.

Jacob Hawkes
09-27-2011, 10:47 AM
I ain't seeing the Maryland thing at all; DC TV market or not. They're wrong for the SEC (and vice versa) on so many levels. I also don't think there will be expansion from within the same state as a current SEC team....ruling out fsu, scUM, Ga. Tech and Clempson. The Big East is on the verge of unravelling and the ACC just tacitly admitted they're not a football conference by picking up Syracuse and Pitt...which means that West By God Virginia and Virginia Tech are RIPE for the pickin'. OU or OSU would be great...a girl can dream can't she? I'm glad we got A&M instead of Texas...as a UF alum I don't think we could tolerate any competition in the arrogant d-bag fan category. :D

I didn't say I agreed with the rumors about Maryland. It was just brought up for the point about expanding for markets.

I hope you're wrong about expanding within current states. My "Pipe dream" would be to add VT & Free Shoes U to The Least, I mean east. :-P:-P Then add OU to The Best. Of course that's what I would love to see. That would leave zero doubt that The SEC is about CFB & College Baseball.

LOL. Not all UF fans are terrible. We met some nice ones back in 03. Had an elderly couple come over for breakfast. The people we tailgated with were great. Now those in the stadium were terrible. Certainly not all of them, but the amount of d bags was enough, but their levels of it was the really bad part. It is what it is.

Cowtown
09-27-2011, 11:25 AM
You just proved my point. It's about expanding in area as well as an okay team. Prior to that, The Big 12/10/whatever had that market. Now, it's The SEC. That said, LSU plucks as many Houston area recruits as it wants.

That's why there were rumors of Maryland joining. They'd get The DC Market. Expansion is as much about beefing up a conference (In most conferences.) as it is to tv contracts and capitalizing on big business for The SEC. I wish we would just go ahead & pick up Free Shoes U, VT, and either GT (Original SEC member. I do detest them.), Clemson, Miami (When the Canes are good, CFB is exciting.), TX (The SEC has the fortitude to tell the shorthorns where they can stick their ideas on things.), or OU. That would be a sick 16 team conference. I'm curious to see what Commissioner Slive has in mind. He's like the polar opposite to Beebe.

I agree with you Jacob....I believe it helps the SEC get a big piece of the Houston TV market...and DFW. The Ag$ have a ton of alumni in DFW too.