PDA

View Full Version : Man Mistaken for Bear

Doc E
10-22-2011, 06:46 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/10/22/marine-reservist-shot-and-killed-by-oregon-bear-hunter/?test=latestnews
SILVERTON, Ore. A 20-year-old Marine reservist was fatally shot by a man who mistook him for a bear while on a hunting trip with his grandson, The Oregonian reported Saturday.
Christopher A. Ochoa, 20, was hiking with a friend Friday night near Silver Falls State Park, roughly 60 miles south of Portland, when he was shot by 67-year-old Gene Collier.
Collier was bear hunting with his 12-year-old grandson at the time of the shooting. He told authorities he mistook Ochoa, who was wearing dark clothing, for a bear moving in the brush, The Oregonian said.
Deputies responded to a call for help from Ochoa's friend, but the Marine reservist died at the scene, the paper said.
Ochoa, who was visiting the area from French Camp, Calif., was an active member of the Marine Corps Reserve and due back for duty on Oct. 25.
According to the paper, an investigation determined that Collier was not impaired by alcohol or drugs. The Marion County District Attorney's Office will determine whether to bring charges against the hunter, but told the newspaper the shooting appeared to be accidental.

Ken Bora
10-23-2011, 01:22 PM
stupid stupid stupid
first rule at hunter Ed. class Know your target!
stupid stupid stupid

so the guy had dark clothing, I wear dark clothing all the time.
stupid stupid stupid

the poor 12 year old

Cody Covey
10-24-2011, 12:38 PM
I hope it's not just a Northwest thing but I hear of this happening every year where some idiot shoots randomly into a tree or bush. Why is the world would you EVER do that? Just makes no sense.

Sue Kiefer
10-24-2011, 01:29 PM
It happens more than you thing during Wis. gun /deer season. Ask how many cows or horses are shot every yr.
Or stray bullets go whizzing past how many hunters heads..............:-x
Sue

charly_t
10-24-2011, 03:42 PM
It happens more than you thing during Wis. gun /deer season. Ask how many cows or horses are shot every yr.
Sue

Yep....calves get killed by deer hunters every year in OK.

twall
10-24-2011, 03:56 PM
I remember an incident in Florida 15+ years ago where a father and son were deer hunting together. They were on separate stands some distance apart. The son was going over to the fathers stand before the appointed time and was shot and killed by his father.

The human mind is a powerful thing. It causes many of us to do things, that result in tragedy, we never thought we would do.

Tom

charly_t
10-24-2011, 04:29 PM
I remember an incident in Florida 15+ years ago where a father and son were deer hunting together. They were on separate stands some distance apart. The son was going over to the fathers stand before the appointed time and was shot and killed by his father.

The human mind is a powerful thing. It causes many of us to do things, that result in tragedy, we never thought we would do.

Tom

Different mind problem.........
Yes, the human mind is not to be trusted at times. I remember being in the postion for my "stand" on the ground ( Dad's orders ). I was in a south pasture and one of the guys who was supposed to be hunting in a north pasture ( fences explained to that family ) came sauntering into my field of vision. White tail deer hunting of course. This guy was wearing white work gloves. I still shake my head when I think about him.

road kill
10-24-2011, 05:43 PM
Sue

How many???:confused:

RK

Sue Kiefer
10-25-2011, 12:03 PM
Stray bullets by a%%holes or killed livestock???
Late yr.
My stand I had 3 bullets go too dam close.
Young kids hunting wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy toooooooooooooo young and out of state tourists.
Oneida County.
Sue

road kill
10-25-2011, 12:18 PM
Stray bullets by a%%holes or killed livestock???
Late yr.
My stand I had 3 bullets go too dam close.
Young kids hunting wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy toooooooooooooo young and out of state tourists.
Oneida County.
Sue

Do you look like a deer???

RK

Sue Kiefer
10-25-2011, 01:40 PM
I guess.
Sue

road kill
10-25-2011, 01:53 PM
I guess.
Sue

Deer are beautiful animals........

RK

BonMallari
10-25-2011, 02:02 PM
Deer are beautiful animals........

RK

both the two legged dears, and the 4 legged deer...you can stalk one all your life and never get a shot at a true trophy....and then again you can be sitting there quiet as a mouse and a trophy walks right by,stops and gives you the shot of a lifetime...the only choice you have to make is which one is in your range, or do you let it walk and come back another year:D

jeff t.
10-25-2011, 03:02 PM
Reminds me of a joke that Fred Eaglsmith tells at some of his shows

One day, Sven and Ole were hunting, and suddenly a man came running out of the bushes yelling, "Don't shoot! Don't shoot! I'm not a deer!" Ole raised his gun and shot him dead. Sven said, "Ole, why did you shoot that man? He said he wasn't a deer!" And Ole replied, "Oh! I thought he said he was a deer!"

...rimshot