PDA

View Full Version : Arkansas tests or trials

Andrew Fairchild
10-27-2011, 02:34 PM
I've never been to a hunt test or field trial before. I was wondering if there are any coming up in Arkansas and when they are. I'd like to go and watch to get some ideas of what goes on.

Jeff Huntington
10-27-2011, 03:03 PM
You are in luck....

this weekend just outside of Arkansas in Miami, OK about 1 hour from Fayetteville at the world famous Retreiver Academy (world famous in my eyes), Three Rivers HRC will be hosting the 2nd Annual Wood Duck Wally Benefit HT to benefit our wonderful Wally Winters who lost his battle with cancer earlier this year.

We will have a very large raffle and we have over 200 dogs entered in the event will only a few opening in started available. The Retreiver Academy has some of the finest grounds around and you will see some wonderful dog work and meet some fantastic people.

If you come, just ask for Jeff Huntington at the Red Barn HQ and I'll make sure to give you the grand tour of the facilities and tests and introduce you to some great folks. If you want any additional info, feel free to call me on my cell at 479-462-3266.

Click on "The Retriever Academy" banner at the top of this website to see the location and grounds used for the hunt test.

Jeff Huntington

Andrew Fairchild
10-27-2011, 03:19 PM
Thank you very much. I'll try my hardest to make it and bring little spook with me.

Andrew Fairchild
10-27-2011, 03:23 PM
What time does the ht start?

Jeff Huntington
10-27-2011, 03:26 PM
Test dog 7:45 am and it will run all day long with banquet and raffle Sat night then again on Sunday (no banquet Sunday.

Bryan Manning
10-27-2011, 04:09 PM
well just missed the central arkansas field trial it is the only field trial currently held in state. For AKC hunt there is a club in northern AR but I don't know when there test is Ozark Retriever club i think. A lot more HRC clubs here but membership is hurting and some have cancled there fall hunts. You can find dates and clubs on UKC website or HRC forum. Hope this helps some. Where is Goshen at?

Andrew Fairchild
10-27-2011, 04:32 PM
10 miles east of fayetteville just north of elkins

Jeff Huntington
10-27-2011, 04:36 PM
well just missed the central arkansas field trial it is the only field trial currently held in state. For AKC hunt there is a club in northern AR but I don't know when there test is Ozark Retriever club i think. A lot more HRC clubs here but membership is hurting and some have cancled there fall hunts. You can find dates and clubs on UKC website or HRC forum. Hope this helps some. Where is Goshen at?

Ozark hopefully will have a AKC in spring, they cancelled last year.

Fairchild, you are the closest you will be to a HT this weekend. Ozark has held their test at The Retreiver Academy last time also.

Come on out and let me know you are there. I'm not running a dog, just running around.

KPR's Texas Retrievers
10-28-2011, 12:09 PM
If you would like to see where and when hunt test and field trials are held you can go to www.entryexpress.net. You will have to sign up and login to review the events. This is a free website.
There are a lot of trials and hunts test in IL, LA, MO, OK, TN, TX and AR throughout the year. In this area of the country everything begins to slow down after the first or second week of December and kicks back off the end of February. If you are interested in retrievers these events are great to watch and be careful if you start you will get hooked. It is a lot of fun doing both.

Andrew Fairchild
10-28-2011, 01:16 PM
Thanks a bunch!

Jeff Huntington
10-28-2011, 02:31 PM
If you would like to see where and when hunt test and field trials are held you can go to www.entryexpress.net (http://www.entryexpress.net). You will have to sign up and login to review the events. This is a free website.
There are a lot of trials and hunts test in IL, LA, MO, OK, TN, TX and AR throughout the year. In this area of the country everything begins to slow down after the first or second week of December and kicks back off the end of February. If you are interested in retrievers these events are great to watch and be careful if you start you will get hooked. It is a lot of fun doing both.

Most of these will be AKC hunt tests and field trials. You can go to the HRC website to see the HRC calendar for tests. Most are winding down this time of year.

Jeff

Andrew Fairchild
10-28-2011, 02:34 PM
Whats the difference in AKC and HRC, and how they run their trials and tests?

Jeff Huntington
10-28-2011, 02:39 PM
Whats the difference in AKC and HRC, and how they run their trials and tests?

To the dog not a lot. It just depends I think on what you get started doing first. AKC can have more technical items in the advanced levels while HRC prides itself on being for the hunter with trying to use realistic hunting scenarios depending of course on terrain.

Really a lot to try to explain over the board. Both are good organizations and the dogs like to pick up ducks in both. Sometime we can get togther and train and I'll try to explain more. I live in Fort Smith which is not far from you.

Jeff

PS sent PM

Andrew Fairchild
10-28-2011, 02:55 PM
It's not far at all. I actually do a little hunting on the arkansas river close to clarksville in Spadra and a little in mulberry. I'm looking forward to training with the pup and seeing where things go. Is the trial tomorrow an akc event or hrc