fishduck
11-13-2011, 11:14 AM
Placements 1st 8
2cd 12
3rd. 15
4th 9
RJ. 16
JAm 5

The set ups were fair and challenging. A big thanks goes out to James Batte and Austin Channel for giving up their day and judging.

I think the placements are correct but did them from memory.
Mark Land

J. Walker
11-17-2011, 05:33 PM
Didn't here results.
Was told:
19 starters,
First series was a double,
9 dogs called back to 2nd series,
7 dogs called back to 4th series.

Anyone have an update on results?

Does anyone know what the first series setup actually was and what the conditions were like? It just seems unusual that half the dogs in a Qual. would go out on a double.

captainjack
11-18-2011, 08:49 AM
Does anyone know what the first series setup actually was and what the conditions were like? It just seems unusual that half the dogs in a Qual. would go out on a double.

I didn't get the full description of the set up, but I think the memory bird was retired. One of the handlers told me there were six handles and four pickups. No dog that handled was called back. Sometimes the handler's numbers may be off as they might not have seen every dog run.

fishduck
11-18-2011, 01:41 PM

I am terrible with distances so won't even try. Long bird was through a valley and up a hill. As the dogs pushed up the hill at an angle many were pushed left towards the flyer station. The long bird was thrown along a tree line, over a log. Easily found if the dog pushed the hill. Not a gimmee with the gun retired.

The flyer was the go bird and most dogs that got lost on the long bird eventually gravitated in that direction.

I thought it was a very good test. No tricks. The dogs that fought the factors and trusted themselves got the long bird.
Mark Land

J. Walker
11-18-2011, 05:11 PM
I am terrible with distances so won't even try. Long bird was through a valley and up a hill. As the dogs pushed up the hill at an angle many were pushed left towards the flyer station. The long bird was thrown along a tree line, over a log. Easily found if the dog pushed the hill. Not a gimmee with the gun retired.

The flyer was the go bird and most dogs that got lost on the long bird eventually gravitated in that direction.

I thought it was a very good test. No tricks. The dogs that fought the factors and trusted themselves got the long bird.
Mark Land

Was it a tight line for the long bird past the flyer?

captainjack
11-18-2011, 07:04 PM
Was it a tight line for the long bird past the flyer?

Wanted to add to this question...

Do you (Mark) think the setup was more suited for the natural marker or the dog schooled in technical setups (abilities aquired through training vs. natural abilities).

fishduck
11-21-2011, 11:17 AM
Sorry been duck hunting. The flyer was not even close to the line to the retired gun. It was very much a test of natural marking ability. If the dog remembered where the bird fell and fought the factors then they got the bird. Dogs will be dogs and some had brain farts on that day, including mine in the fourth.
Mark Land