PDA

View Full Version : Something positive ...

Gerry Clinchy
11-16-2011, 01:15 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/11/12/aging-americans-can-stay-home-with-aid-villages/?test=gnews

People helping people. This is about a non-profit called a "village" to help elderly stay in their own homes at a substantial cost below them going into assisted living.

As we think about the costs of a larger elderly population in the near future, ideas like this provide new ways to provide care and assistance.

From the story, it seems like many of these "villages" are run and staffed exclusively by volunteers. There are also for-profit businesses that provide visiting services to the elderly. In fact, a dog friend I know, (who is over 90) is still in her home with 24-hour in-house "assistance". I'm sure she is in better shape for NOT being in some type of nursing home.

Franco
11-16-2011, 04:12 PM
Not all nursing homes are bad. The one I visit on a regular basis is very nice, very clean, bright and airy. Staff is courteous and the residents are well taken care of. They have daily activities, doctor visits and good tasting food. On Sundays, the old timers gather around a 60 inch Samsung to watch Football drinking good wine with snacks.

charly_t
11-16-2011, 05:29 PM
One of our grandaughters is in school to become a nurse and she told me the other day that they hear "stories" about the local nursing homes plus some that are not exactly local. She mentioned the one in a very small town about 13 miles from us as being the place to go if we need one. Some retirement apartments have people who are able who extend help to those who need help. Sis and some of her friends live in one of those apartment buildings ( Tenn. ). She does little things for her neighbors but it is not an organized thing. They also have a near by religious group who have an organized group of high school students who are called adopted grandchildren. Those young people do light duty chores or play games and Sis likes that. Some of our assisted living places in our area have a good reputation also.