PDA

View Full Version : Tonight's GOP National Security Debate

Franco
11-22-2011, 10:27 PM
I thought it to be the best debate, so far.

Candidates were given time to answer solid questions. Wolf Blitzer did a great job of handling and focusing the debate.

I though Newt was realistic in his answer to the illegal immigration issue.

I still like to hear what Santorum and Huntsman have to say. I thought Bachmann shed some good insight as to why we send billions annually to Pakistan.

Your thoughts?

Nor_Cal_Angler
11-22-2011, 11:07 PM
Content of the debate I agree, was the best so far....

But again, the setup was there for the canidates to focus on attacking each other and not having a united front against the left....

Many, Many, Many times Blitzer lead the canidates with baited questions/follow ups (example.."MR/Mrs would you like to challenge/respond to Mr/Mrs answer" when ever the person started talking about Pres. Obama) to IMO divert off of the differences between the GOP and it's agenda of replacing the current administration and focus on knocking off each other. As I was saying in the example..it seems like every time one of the canidates starts their answer with "their" differences with the Left/Pres. Obama the moderator or panel follows up with a lead to the next person baiting them to focus more each other rather than expanding on the differences of the left and right.

I have watched every debate and the only one that I found that did NOT focus on this was the debate put on by The Family Leader and hosted by Frank Luntz.

Jake

I agree with you on his balanced approach to the Illegal Immagration issue...He clearly stated that YES, some people will have to go...those that do not clearly show a defined contrabutation to our way and society, those that are not strongly tied to this country and those that have a track record of bad behavior..but he also said and I agree with...those that have a pattern of good behavior, contrabutions to the country, have families with generational roots, those that you would see at church and work paying taxes..should be allowed a PROCESS TO LEGALLY BECOME CITIZENS....and I agree that the MAJORITY of sound minded people of this country would feel the same as his position.

BonMallari
11-22-2011, 11:21 PM
I watched the debate in bits and pieces and will watch the replay, shortly, as long as the pain meds dont knock me out (had much needed dental work done today)

I think it showed the stark contrast between the current administration and the R nominees...but it also showed the difference between Ron Paul and the rest of the nominees, IMHO he did not endear himself to the pro Israel crowd in the country, nor does he seem to care...I also think that Huntsman showed that he is well versed in world affairs and could make a very good Sec of State

maybe I will see things differently on the replay

Nor_Cal_Angler
11-22-2011, 11:34 PM
I watched the debate in bits and pieces and will watch the replay, shortly, as long as the pain meds dont knock me out (had much needed dental work done today)

I think it showed the stark contrast between the current administration and the R nominees...but it also showed the difference between Ron Paul and the rest of the nominees, IMHO he did not endear himself to the pro Israel crowd in the country, nor does he seem to care...I also think that Huntsman showed that he is well versed in world affairs and could make a very good Sec of State

I could see that as being true...but I did not care for his idea's regarding the Middle East.

Jake

BonMallari
11-22-2011, 11:46 PM
I could see that as being true...but I did not care for his idea's regarding the Middle East.

Jake

right now everyones idea on what to do in the Middle East is pure speculation and could change with the next big event...IMHO our current SOS is nothing more than a messenger pigeon and the next Pres will need astrong presence there...maybe even like a John Bolton

Franco
11-23-2011, 06:34 AM

What he said was that Israel having 200 to 300 nuclear weapons was capable of taking care of themselves. Romney was the only one that stated Iran should be prevented from developing a bomb via military action.

Gingrich suggested sanctioning Iran's National Bank and cutting off gasoline to Iran since they only have one major refinery. Huntsman suggested that Russia and China would come to Iran's aide if we did. Cain said Iran had too many mountains and would have to defer to his experts.

Paul, Santorum, Huntsman, Bachamnn, Gingrich, Romney agreed that Pakistan was the bigger problem because of thier instability.

Hew
11-23-2011, 06:53 AM
Good for Gingrich to acknowledge the truth: deporting 11 million people is a logistical, political and fiscal PIPEDREAM and ABSURDITY. I'm starting to like him more and more.

Franco
11-23-2011, 07:06 AM
Ron Paul is being attacked in the neoconservative press this morning for these comments;

Ron Paul went out of his way to emphasize his support for medical marijuana, insisting that marijuana laws should be set not by the federal government but by the states.
"You can at least let sick people have marijuana because it's helpful," Paul said. "But the compassionate conservatives say, well we can't do this -- the federal government is going in there and overriding state laws and putting people like that in prison."
The Obama administration had promised a hands-off policy on marijuana laws, saying the issue was best regulated at the state level. But the number of raids has been on the rise, and last month federal prosecutors in California announced a crackdown on medical marijuana dispensaries, threatening to shutter state-licensed businesses.
"Why don't we handle the drugs like we handle alcohol?" Paul continued. "Alcohol's a deadly drug. The real deadly drugs are the prescription drugs, they kill more people than the illegal drugs."
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention released a report earlier this month showing that the number of deaths from overdoses of legal prescription painkillers has more than tripled in the past decade, killing 14,800 people in 2008, up from 4,000 deaths in 1999.
Paul's comments came as part of a larger commentary on drug policy. It's not the first time he's called for an end to the so-called war on drugs.
In June, he teamed up with Rep. Barney Frank (D-Mass.) to introduce legislation removing marijuana from the list of federally regulated substances. Though essentially dead upon arrival, the bill helps to illuminate Paul's views.
"I think the federal war on drugs is a total failure," said Paul to hearty applause from the audience.
"The drug war is out of control," he added. "I fear the drug war, because it undermines our civil liberties, it magnifies our problems on the borders -- we spent like over the last 40 years a trillion dollars on this war and, believe me, the kids can still get the drugs. It just hasn't worked."

road kill
11-23-2011, 07:06 AM
What he said was that Israel having 200 to 300 nuclear weapons was capable of taking care of themselves. Romney was the only one that stated Iran should be prevented from developing a bomb via military action.

Gingrich suggested sanctioning Iran's National Bank and cutting off gasoline to Iran since they only have one major refinery. Huntsman suggested that Russia and China would come to Iran's aide if we did. Cain said Iran had too many mountains and would have to defer to his experts.

Paul, Santorum, Huntsman, Bachamnn, Gingrich, Romney agreed that Pakistan was the bigger problem because of thier instability.

I missed that.

Or did you make it up.:D

RK

Franco
11-23-2011, 07:15 AM
I missed that.

Or did you make it up.:D

RK

THe question was very simple, "Would you use military action in preventing Iran from developing nuclear weapons?"

Cain said that Iran was very mountainous and that we would need a clear plan/mission.

The mission is to destroy their nukes is pretty simple to me.

So, he sidestepped the question. Usually, when he sidesteps questions he has said in the past that he has to defer to his experts. Cain is very good at not answering questions.

road kill
11-23-2011, 07:29 AM
THe question was very simple, "Would you use military action in preventing Iran from developing nuclear weapons?"

Cain said that Iran was very mountainous and that we would need a clear plan/mission.

The mission is to destroy their nukes is pretty simple to me.

So, he sidestepped the question. Usually, when he sidesteps questions he has said in the past that he has to defer to his experts. Cain is very good at not answering questions.

So.....I didn't miss it, you made it up.

I see how it is..........:rolleyes:

RK

Franco
11-23-2011, 07:41 AM
Cain is a know-nothing lightweight that doesn't belong on the stage. He can't answer anything straightforward.

Plus, he takes up valuable time that could be used on more serious candidates.

He was the flavor of the month, time to move on.

road kill
11-23-2011, 08:12 AM
Cain is a know-nothing lightweight that doesn't belong on the stage. He can't answer anything straightforward.

Plus, he takes up valuable time that could be used on more serious candidates.

He was the flavor of the month, time to move on.

Great, how astute.

Like I said, you made it up, embellished, exagerated to support your hatred for all things not Paul.:rolleyes:

RK

Franco
11-23-2011, 09:08 AM
Great, how astute.

Like I said, you made it up, embellished, exagerated to support your hatred for all things not Paul.:rolleyes:

RK

Wrong! Beside supporting R Pual, I also like Gingrich(though I have some reservations), Sanotrum, Romney and Huntsman. I'm not thinking past R Paul as log as he is competitve in the nomination process. If he doesn't get it, I could possibly support one of the above. No way would I vote for Perry, Cain or Bachamnn, at that point I'd just not vote.

Buzz
11-23-2011, 09:45 AM
Good for Gingrich to acknowledge the truth: deporting 11 million people is a logistical, political and fiscal PIPEDREAM and ABSURDITY. I'm starting to like him more and more.

Holy crap Hew, we agree on something. I'd like to see someone work up a realistic plan for rounding up 11 million people and shipping them out, then put a price tag on it. I know many will argue from their gut that it's more expensive to work them into our society...

Franco
11-23-2011, 10:06 AM
Speaking of Ron Paul;-), here is what the Christian Science Monitor has to say about his campaign. They also quote some of the major dailys.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Elections/President/2011/1120/Ron-Paul-s-strength-in-Iowa-shows-it-s-too-soon-to-write-him-off

road kill
11-23-2011, 10:19 AM
Speaking of Ron Paul;-), here is what the Christian Science Monitor has to say about his campaign. They also quote some of the major dailys.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Elections/President/2011/1120/Ron-Paul-s-strength-in-Iowa-shows-it-s-too-soon-to-write-him-off

If Mormonism is a cult, what is Christian Science?:confused:

Just askin'......

RK

HPL
11-23-2011, 10:50 AM
Wrong! Beside supporting R Pual, I also like Gingrich(though I have some reservations), Sanotrum, Romney and Huntsman. I'm not thinking past R Paul as log as he is competitve in the nomination process. If he doesn't get it, I could possibly support one of the above. No way would I vote for Perry, Cain or Bachamnn, at that point I'd just not vote.
Have to say that to some extent I feel the same, although I would probably switch RP & Newt in order of preference. I will say that when it comes to the Patriot Act I much prefer RP's position to Newt's. I have always thought that "The Patriot Act" sounded and still sounds a bit too Orwellian for my taste and although it sounds a bit cliche', I agree with RP as far as the terrorists winning as soon as we willingly agree to give up our civil rights. Pisses me off to just walk into an airport these days. I also pass through a border patrol checkpoint on a pretty regular basis and although it has been there for as long as I can remember (that's at least 55yrs) now there are all these cameras and sensors (which we probably wouldn't really need 90 miles from the border if we got control of the ACTUAL border) that I wonder what all they are recording and what records they keep on our movements. Really didn't like what Newt said about the Patriot act. Not a deal breaker, but although I like a lot of what Newt says, I find him a bit Machiavellian and he scares me sometimes.

Franco
11-23-2011, 10:55 AM
When we agree to cede our personal liberties, where does it end?

We know that if we give our government a little, history tells us that eventually they will abuse it.

We are a nation that either lives by The Constitution or not.

Franco
11-23-2011, 11:11 AM
If Mormonism is a cult, what is Christian Science?:confused:

Just askin'......

RK

All religions are cults.

Some more looney than others.

Christian Science
http://christianscience.com/

HPL
11-23-2011, 11:26 AM
All religions are cults.

Some more looney than others.

Christian Science
http://christianscience.com/
Amen Brother!

HPL

Gerry Clinchy
11-23-2011, 02:40 PM
Just listened to the whole debate.

I think we have to give this whole group some credit for at least having more ideas & substance than Obama had in his entire 2008 campaign. May not agree with all the ideas espoused by all of the participants, but they surely seem to have a better grasp of what the problems are than O does.

Have to agree with RP about Syria ... let them work this out with pressure already being placed upon them by their Arab neighbors. No need for us to get mired in that. Have to say I felt the same about Egypt and Libya as well.

Would also agree that Newt and Romney stand above the rest in their ability to articulate their views & plans.

Buzz
11-23-2011, 02:54 PM
We know Obama's approach to foreign policy amounts to paling around with terrorists!

Colt Farrington
11-23-2011, 04:00 PM
The problem that the Talk show/ Fox News wing of the Republican Party have with Ron Paul isn't his foreign policy, It's ALL of his policys. Ron Paul's presence exposes them as pseudo-conservatives. Look at the current field of front runners- all claim to be conservatives and all represent big business, open boarders, globalist, world banking interest. A candidate that thinks government ought to be limited to the powers of the constitution scares the hell out of the Republicans. They can't wait for him to go away.

Franco
11-23-2011, 04:16 PM
The problem that the Talk show/ Fox News wing of the Republican Party have with Ron Paul isn't his foreign policy, It's ALL of his policys. Ron Paul's presence exposes them as pseudo-conservatives. Look at the current field of front runners- all claim to be conservatives and all represent big business, open boarders, globalist, world banking interest. A candidate that thinks government ought to be limited to the powers of the constitution scares the hell out of the Republicans. They can't wait for him to go away.

Welcome to POTUS, Ghost River! Your remarks are right on the money.

We need more folks like you that cherish The Constitution!!!:)

Franco
11-23-2011, 04:20 PM
We know Obama's approach to foreign policy amounts to paling around with terrorists!

huh?

pal·ing (phttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/amacr.gifhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/prime.giflhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/ibreve.gifng)
n. 1. One of a row of upright pointed sticks forming a fence; a pale.
2. Pointed sticks used in making fences; pales.
3. A fence made of pales or pickets.

Buzz, you mean he's sticking their heads on pikes or hanging out with Sarah?;-)

I for one appriciate you attempt at humor!:cool:

Hew
11-23-2011, 04:50 PM
They can't wait for him to go away.
I know the American taxpayer can't wait for Paul to ride off into the sunset so we don't have to pay for all the pork he inserts into legislation. Why don't you guys study your own damn shrimp without my money. ;-)

BonMallari
11-23-2011, 05:11 PM
Welcome to POTUS, Ghost River! Your remarks are right on the money.

We need more folks like you that cherish The Constitution!!!:)

just because we dont share the same political views as you Franco does not mean that we dont cherish and respect the Constitution or does it make anyone on here more or less patriotic

Buzz
11-23-2011, 05:23 PM
huh?

pal·ing (phttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/amacr.gifhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/prime.giflhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/ibreve.gifng)
n. 1. One of a row of upright pointed sticks forming a fence; a pale.
2. Pointed sticks used in making fences; pales.
3. A fence made of pales or pickets.

Buzz, you mean he's sticking their heads on pikes or hanging out with Sarah?;-)

I for one appriciate you attempt at humor!:cool:

First I typed palling around, then I changed my mind & edited it! ;-)

twall
11-23-2011, 05:35 PM
So.....I didn't miss it, you made it up.

I see how it is..........:rolleyes:

RK

I hate to say it but, that is pretty much how Cain answered. He was definitely out of his league in this debate. This was his weakest one so far.

I still think he did better than our current POTUS.

Tom

charly_t
11-23-2011, 05:38 PM
Amen Brother!

HPL

Hey ! "You boys have quit preachin' and gone to 'meddlin'. " :-)

BonMallari
11-23-2011, 05:43 PM
I hate to say it but, that is pretty much how Cain answered. He was definitely out of his league in this debate. This was his weakest one so far.

I still think he did better than our current POTUS.

Tom

you are correct, have watched the debate replayed a couple of times and foreign affairs are not Cain's strong suit

but

this may be the first election where foreign affairs are not first and foremost on the mind of the American public,not saying its not important, but we have bigger fish to fry here at home....if we are choosing POTUS for his views on foreign affairs then you have different priorities THIS election cycle..this election is about the economy and the survival of our nation

Gerry Clinchy
11-23-2011, 08:44 PM
http://www.2012presidentialelectionnews.com/2011/11/video-watch-the-full-iowa-thanksgiving-family-forum/

The Nov. 19 debate in Iowa was interesting to watch. It was not really like a "debate". The participants voiced their views, not necessarily countering others views. They were also asked some personal questions that were not really debate questions. Romney & Huntsman were invited, but declined to participate.

BonMallari
11-23-2011, 08:55 PM
http://www.2012presidentialelectionnews.com/2011/11/video-watch-the-full-iowa-thanksgiving-family-forum/

The Nov. 19 debate in Iowa was interesting to watch. It was not really like a "debate". The participants voiced their views, not necessarily countering others views. They were also asked some personal questions that were not really debate questions. Romney & Huntsman were invited, but declined to participate.

I noticed that too....wonder if its because the anti Mormon sentiment "seems" to prevail there...I also think its kind of strange that the subject of his faith is always brought up against Romney, but never Huntsman who is also Mormon, as is Harry Reid, and never against the other candidates...anyone know why ?

Gerry Clinchy
11-23-2011, 09:05 PM
I noticed that too....wonder if its because the anti Mormon sentiment "seems" to prevail there...I also think its kind of strange that the subject of his faith is always brought up against Romney, but never Huntsman who is also Mormon, as is Harry Reid, and never against the other candidates...anyone know why ?

Have no clue. Personally, I think it could be just a media thing? Don't think most people care.

I don't think the audience in Iowa would have cared either. They did ask a question about faith in that setting. Don't think it would have been a problem for those two to answer, any more than the other people.

In the Iowa "debate", I was wondering how Newt would respond to the spiritual/faith question asked of the participants. Was kind of surprised at his response. Part of it, was that he would be "terrified" if a POTUS was an atheist, i.e. felt that a human could only bear the responsibility of POTUS if they had belief in a higher being from whom to draw strength & guidance.

JDogger
11-23-2011, 09:13 PM

Cause it's politics as usual Bon. It's a dirty game, and very likely to get dirtier this time around than we've ever seen before, and that's just the primaries.

JD

Franco
11-23-2011, 09:16 PM
you are correct, have watched the debate replayed a couple of times and foreign affairs are not Cain's strong suit

but

this may be the first election where foreign affairs are not first and foremost on the mind of the American public,not saying its not important, but we have bigger fish to fry here at home....if we are choosing POTUS for his views on foreign affairs then you have different priorities THIS election cycle..this election is about the economy and the survival of our nation

I want my POTUS to be a special person, one that can handle all the areas with insight, good judgement and ethics. They have to be well rounded and qualified, not just a slogan tosser.

gmhr1
11-27-2011, 12:01 PM
I think Newt is the only one smart enough to debate Obama and be President. I know he has baggage but of all I think he's the best one.

I keep waiting for Cain to say vote for me get a free Pizza!