road kill
11-29-2011, 07:36 AM
Oakland at New England!

Your predictions?

RK

Down East Labs 217
11-29-2011, 07:55 AM
Pittsburg at Baltimore

Baltimore will meet New England in a divisional round in Baltimore and win. Pittsburg will beat who ever they play.

Been a Pittsburg fan for 40 years.

Richard

road kill
11-29-2011, 08:02 AM
Pittsburg at Baltimore

Baltimore will meet New England in a divisional round in Baltimore and win. Pittsburg will beat who ever they play.

Been a Pittsburg fan for 40 years.

Richard

Yeah, they are very good, and want to revenge last year.

Good call!

stan b

Franco
11-29-2011, 08:13 AM
Bengals at Steelers;-)

Buzz
11-29-2011, 08:28 AM
Bengals at Steelers;-)

Having lived in Cincinnati for a decade of terrible football, I can tell you that this matchup would have the town rock's.

I used to just show up on Sunday afternoon and pick up $65 tickets for $25 bucks and sit inside row 10 on the 50 yard line. Normally I was there to watch the other team beat up on the Bengals.

BonMallari
11-29-2011, 09:23 AM
Oakland at New England!

Your predictions?

RK

yup, with both teams dedicating their seasons to their late owners, its only fitting that they meet in the AFC Championship

Franco
11-29-2011, 10:19 AM
Roger Goodell is pussyfying the NFL!

No longer can DB's attempt to jar the ball loose from a WR or TE and no longer can QB's be touched in fear of a Roughing The Player foul!

Might as well put flags in thier belts and call if Flag Football.

Yes, the NFL is taking protective measures against law suits but it is hurting the game.

Buzz
11-29-2011, 10:45 AM

No longer can DB's attempt to jar the ball loose from a WR or TE and no longer can QB's be touched in fear of a Roughing The Player foul!

Yes, the NFL is taking protective measures against law suits but it is hurting the game.

And the refs are not being consistent. On Thanksgiving Day, Stafford got hammered on a hit that took place after two steps by the defender. A series or two later Vanden Bosch got flagged for hitting Precious Rogers on a picture perfect hit just as he was letting go of the ball. Officiating this year has been TERRIBLE and INCONSISTENT.

Nor_Cal_Angler
11-29-2011, 10:50 AM
And the refs are not being consistent. On Thanksgiving Day, Stafford got hammered on a hit that took place after two steps by the defender. A series or two later Vanden Bosch got flagged for hitting Precious Rogers on a picture perfect hit just as he was letting go of the ball. Officiating this year has been TERRIBLE and INCONSISTENT.

THIS ^^^^^

Bal. V somebody...

Bal. V GB or 9ers (wishfull for 9ers) in the superbowl

GB wins (although the D is suspect)

Jake

road kill
11-29-2011, 02:14 PM

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This coming from a guy that thinks all games should be played indoors!!!!!

RK

BonMallari
11-29-2011, 02:46 PM

I disagree, Goodell is trying to protect the NFL brand...the league stars the QB's they are the faces of the league, who wants to watch the third string backup who was holding a clipboard starting for your team...

if you let the players go and declare open season,your stars are going to get hurt,and the product we see on the weekend is that of survival not who has the best talent..today's athlete is too big,too fast, and can launch themselves to do bodily harm,without certain rules it would be a bloodbath

LokiMeister
11-29-2011, 02:50 PM
Some, not me, would have you believe Tim Tebow will lead the Broncos to the AFC Championship win to beat Green Bay in Indianapolis.

starjack
11-29-2011, 03:32 PM
And the refs are not being consistent. On Thanksgiving Day, Stafford got hammered on a hit that took place after two steps by the defender. A series or two later Vanden Bosch got flagged for hitting Precious Rogers on a picture perfect hit just as he was letting go of the ball. Officiating this year has been TERRIBLE and INCONSISTENT.Could you please name the defender

Buzz
11-29-2011, 03:46 PM
Could you please name the defender

Pretty sure it was Matthews but I'll have to go back to the DVR.

Hew
11-29-2011, 04:30 PM
Some, not me, would have you believe Tim Tebow will lead the Broncos to the AFC Championship win to beat Green Bay in Indianapolis.
LMAO....somebody's got a man crush, somebody's got a man crush. I'm sure if you send him a friend request Timmy will friend ya and then you can stalk him properly.

starjack
11-29-2011, 04:30 PM
Pretty sure it was Matthews but I'll have to go back to the DVR.

If it was mattews hit that was close the Vander bosch hit was legit and should not have been called

LokiMeister
11-29-2011, 04:34 PM
LMAO....somebody's got a man crush, somebody's got a man crush. I'm sure if you send him a friend request Timmy will friend ya and then you can stalk him properly.

I resemble this remark...:rolleyes:

Franco
11-29-2011, 04:58 PM
I disagree, Goodell is trying to protect the NFL brand...the league stars the QB's they are the faces of the league, who wants to watch the third string backup who was holding a clipboard starting for your team...

if you let the players go and declare open season,your stars are going to get hurt,and the product we see on the weekend is that of survival not who has the best talent..today's athlete is too big,too fast, and can launch themselves to do bodily harm,without certain rules it would be a bloodbath

In regards to QB's, there is already a rule that they can't be hit below the knees.

QB's getting hit are a part of the game and I would venture to say that most that get hurt are more of freak accidents and not the result of a direct hit. I agree that players shouldn't lead with the helmet but the refs are blowing the calls. You can count at least 4 to 6 bad calls per game and if anything is hurting the game and turning fans off, it is the bad calls caused by the new rules!

I am also going back to my preseason selection of the Texans in the AFC now that they signed a solid QB today.

Texans vs Bengals in the AFC.

Buzz
11-29-2011, 05:55 PM
If it was mattews hit that was close the Vander bosch hit was legit and should not have been called

There hasn't been much talk on here about the Suh kick. That guy has be ome a huge liability to the Lions. With the reputation he has hung on the team, they will not get a fair shake from the officiating crews. They will get flagged for anything close. The story about that team should be them gradually clawing their way to respectability. In stead the story is about Suh and dirty play.

Buzz
11-29-2011, 06:08 PM
. I agree that players shouldn't lead with the helmet but the refs are blowing the calls. You can count at least 4 to 6 bad calls per game and if anything is hurting the game and turning fans off, it is the bad calls caused by the new rules!

Texans vs Bengals in the AFC.

I think the officiating has been terrible this year and it has had huge impact on many games. I think they are ruining the game. When I played, they taught you to lead with the forehead on hits. I had a coach who was an ex pro player and he taught on tackles to keep your eyes open and look it right into their numbers. He also taught us linebackers to shed lead blockers with a helmet under the chin and linemen to shed blockers putting them off balance by lifting with a hand under the chin. I think both approaches are illegal now.

LokiMeister
11-29-2011, 10:27 PM
When I played, they taught you to lead with the forehead on hits. I had a coach who was an ex pro player and he taught on tackles to keep your eyes open and look it right into their numbers.

Isn't that called spearing?

BonMallari
11-29-2011, 10:57 PM

spearing in the rule books deals with using the CROWN of the helmet...a lot of the cheap hits are because the fundamentals like Buzz was taught are no longer taught to younger players...you can thank the Deion Sanders era for that, they started to chip and strip players...probably the last two good open field tacklers were Ron Woodson and Ronnie Lott, maybe Troy Palamalu now

mngundog
11-30-2011, 02:41 AM
spearing in the rule books deals with using the CROWN of the helmet...a lot of the cheap hits are because the fundamentals like Buzz was taught are no longer taught to younger players...you can thank the Deion Sanders era for that, they started to chip and strip players...probably the last two good open field tacklers were Ron Woodson and Ronnie Lott, maybe Troy Palamalu now
In 2008 Troy had the 42 most tackles for the D-back postision at 55, the #1 tackler that season had 105. In the last 5 seasons, 2008 was the only year he was in the top 50 in tackles for D-backs. There's no way he should be in this conversation.

Buzz
11-30-2011, 07:50 AM

I think at the time, spearing was leading with the top of the head. Good way to become paralyzed.

duk4me
11-30-2011, 08:25 AM
Looks like the real AFC championship game has already been won by Indy 0-11 over Miami 3-8. THe suck for Luck championship.:razz:

starjack
11-30-2011, 01:10 PM
There hasn't been much talk on here about the Suh kick. That guy has be ome a huge liability to the Lions. With the reputation he has hung on the team, they will not get a fair shake from the officiating crews. They will get flagged for anything close. The story about that team should be them gradually clawing their way to respectability. In stead the story is about Suh and dirty play.

Heard on a sport talk show that sue (not a misspelling) is trying to get it down to 1 game Goodell better stick to his guns. What would they be saying if he broke D Smiths arm

paul young
11-30-2011, 03:09 PM
I think the officiating has been terrible this year and it has had huge impact on many games. I think they are ruining the game. When I played, they taught you to lead with the forehead on hits. I had a coach who was an ex pro player and he taught on tackles to keep your eyes open and look it right into their numbers. He also taught us linebackers to shed lead blockers with a helmet under the chin and linemen to shed blockers putting them off balance by lifting with a hand under the chin. I think both approaches are illegal now.

the game has definitely changed. i was taught to pass block by planting my forehead in my opponent's solar plexus and straightening up violently, putting the top of my helmet under his chin. at the same time, driving both hands under the rib cage and extending my arms. a couple good cracks like that and they don't rush with quite the same fervor for some reason....

played both ways, and we were taught to tackle exactly as you were.

do you think all that MIGHT be the reason for 3 cervical vertebra that are out of alignment and the resultant arthritis that goes with it? LOL!!!! sure was fun, though!-Paul

BonMallari
11-30-2011, 03:19 PM
the game has definitely changed. i was taught to pass block by planting my forehead in my opponent's solar plexus and straightening up violently, putting the top of my helmet under his chin. at the same time, driving both hands under the rib cage and extending my arms. a couple good cracks like that and they don't rush with quite the same fervor for some reason....

played both ways, and we were taught to tackle exactly as you were.

do you think all that MIGHT be the reason for 3 cervical vertebra that are out of alignment and the resultant arthritis that goes with it? LOL!!!! sure was fun, though!-Paul

Paul what you described is textbook blocking 101...those skills aren't taught anymore..same with the proper way to tackle someone....goes all the way back to pop warner and jr high fb...some of these kids are more intent on making the you tube highlight reel and practice their TD dance more that the true fundamentals of the game

Hew
11-30-2011, 04:44 PM
I bet a thick book could be written titled, "Stupid Sh!t My Pop Warner and High School Football Coaches Said To Me Back In The Day." Some gems of mine:

"Put that Riddel sticker on your helmet right in his chest, son!"

"You don't need no g-- d---- water!!!"

"Men, eat lots of salt tablets before the game."

"We were worried about you for a minute there, son. It usually doesn't take that long to wake up from getting your bell rung. Why don't you take a play or two off and when you get back in there you gotta take on the fullback deeper in the hole on the iso. Put your Riddel sticker on his Riddel sticker, g-- d----t!"

"That looks a little swollen. Jog it off."

"Groin pull, you say? Put a little Ben Gay on it before bed."

Ah, the good 'ol days. :D

dback
11-30-2011, 07:34 PM
I bet a thick book could be written titled, "Stupid Sh!t My Pop Warner and High School Football Coaches Said To Me Back In The Day." Some gems of mine:

"We were worried about you for a minute there, son. It usually doesn't take that long to wake up from getting your bell rung. Why don't you take a play or two off and when you get back in there you gotta take on the fullback deeper in the hole on the iso. Put your Riddel sticker on his Riddel sticker, g-- d----t!"

"That looks a little swollen. Jog it off." :-) :-)

Love that one.....

One of my favorites....."He!!....it's a long ways from your heart....rub some dirt on it!"

Making half time adjustments, my very excited coach while re-taping me....taped his tie to my ankle. Despite the laughter, everyone seemed to remember assignments.

M&K's Retrievers
11-30-2011, 07:58 PM

"That looks a little swollen. Jog it off."

Don't forget "Tuff Skin and Tape" and

"Where were you then, ____________?"

BonMallari
11-30-2011, 08:19 PM
Don't forget "Tuff Skin and Tape" and

"Where were you then, ____________?"

or how about the all time classic "...walk it off son, its only a cramp.."

I had one tough old coach in jr. high who was my drafting teacher,track coach and tennis coach...anyhow one of his young sons came out and fell and broke his arm on the obstacle course, and this kid refused to cry in front of his dad...

we may not have been the best tennis team but NO ONE messed with us..

Duck Blind
11-30-2011, 08:23 PM

I just hope Tebow stays healthy that long. He takes a pounding every weekend...He ain't in gator country anymore.

dback
11-30-2011, 08:30 PM
we may not have been the best tennis team but NO ONE messed with us..

...... I certainly gave the tennis team a wide berth :mrgreen:

BonMallari
11-30-2011, 08:49 PM
...... I certainly gave the tennis team a wide berth :mrgreen:

in high school, a couple of my team mates were all county wrestlers, even the baseball team that shared the bus rides with us, gave us a wide berth ;-)

LokiMeister
12-01-2011, 08:37 AM
in high school, a couple of my team mates were all county wrestlers, even the baseball team that shared the bus rides with us, gave us a wide berth ;-)

Coming from a high school that has won numerous state titles in wrasslin', that doesn't seem possible. A wrestler that plays tennis...Wow. If I say anymore, I will get kicked off the board.

Didn't wrestle or play tennis, regards.