PDA

View Full Version : What would be your 1st executive order

BonMallari
12-05-2011, 12:09 AM
this was one of the questions posed to the candidates last night on the Huckabee forum, here were some of the choices, which if any would be your FIRST choice

a. overturning the Health Care Bill

b. overturning Roe vs Wade

c. closing the border between US and Mexico

d. abolish certain cabinet positions

e. abolish EPA

f. eliminate the Fed Reserve

g. end moratoriums on drilling for oil in ANWAR or offshore

h. other- be specific

bbmclain
12-05-2011, 12:22 AM
Why chose JUST one?!?!?!?!?

M&K's Retrievers
12-05-2011, 12:29 AM
Health Care. I believe it has done more to hurt the economy than anything else.

mjh345
12-05-2011, 12:35 AM
h other- Balanced budget

Franco
12-05-2011, 12:54 AM
First, balance the budget and then go for a Balanced Budget Amendment.

P S

The President can not overturn Roe v Wade, it is the law of the land.

BonMallari
12-05-2011, 01:38 AM

P S

understand that but as it was posed to at least one candidate (Bachmann),was asked if she would sign an Exec order which in essence would temporarily neutralize Roe vs Wade

BonMallari
12-05-2011, 01:41 AM
Why chose JUST one?!?!?!?!?

well just like BHO chose to sign the closing of Gitmo as his FIRST Exec order,the panel was looking to see what each candidate's priority was...and we all know how effective BHO's exec order was on closing Gitmo :rolleyes:

mjh345
12-05-2011, 02:04 AM
well just like BHO chose to sign the closing of Gitmo as his FIRST Exec order,the panel was looking to see what each candidate's priority was...and we all know how effective BHO's exec order was on closing Gitmo :rolleyes:

He also promised that he would veto any bill that crossed his desk that contained earmarks. GREAT IDEA

He then followed through by signing the first bill that crossed his desk. It contained 100s of earmarks. Signalling instantly that it was business as usual in the pork barrell known as Washington DC. That was all I needed to see to know that BHO was just another blowhard, career lying politician

BonMallari
12-05-2011, 02:42 AM
He also promised that he would veto any bill that crossed his desk that contained earmarks. GREAT IDEA

He then followed through by signing the first bill that crossed his desk. It contained 100s of earmarks. Signalling instantly that it was business as usual in the pork barrell known as Washington DC. That was all I needed to see to know that BHO was just another blowhard, career lying politician

what did you expect from a person who spent his short State senate career running for the US Senate, and spent his short US Senate career running for President, and has spent his first term as President running for a second term, that's all he knows...history will probably remember this as the greatest political scam ever inflicted on the American public

Hew
12-05-2011, 08:31 AM

P S

The president also can't "balance the budget." Nor can he "go for a balanced budget ammendment." He can propose both and back both, but it ain't up to him because both powers reside w/ Congress. Hence much of Ron Paul's schtick, while in some cases admirable, is a PIPE DREAM. The Harry Potter books are more realistic than Ron Paul's fantasy world where he waves a wand and Congress does his bidding.

Something a President can do, and what I would do is thus....order every department, including Defense, to cut their budget by 5% IMMEDIATELY. And inform them that the budget will be cut another 5% the following year. Any Cabinet member who won't/can't get their dept. in-line and under budget will look for other work.

Nor_Cal_Angler
12-05-2011, 09:10 AM
The president also can't "balance the budget." Nor can he "go for a balanced budget ammendment." He can propose both and back both, but it ain't up to him because both powers reside w/ Congress. Hence much of Ron Paul's schtick, while in some cases admirable, is a PIPE DREAM. The Harry Potter books are more realistic than Ron Paul's fantasy world where he waves a wand and Congress does his bidding.

Something a President can do, and what I would do is thus....order every department, including Defense, to cut their budget by 5% IMMEDIATELY. And inform them that the budget will be cut another 5% the following year. Any Cabinet member who won't/can't get their dept. in-line and under budget will look for other work.

This is what my father has said to me regarding budgeting...FOR THE LAST 4 YEARS...I mean spooky...he has been saying that dang near word for word

Great minds, Birds of a feather and all that stuff to you Hew!!!!

Jake

Ken Bora
12-05-2011, 09:10 AM
hhhmmmmm,
excellent question Bon.
Well, a brand new President would not want to fire folk as a first act. Bad PR but if you are still employed but doing a different task you did not loose your job did you? And it must be a thing that a President could actually do right? So first act of the Bora would be to take every one of the Department of Granny Gropers, the trainers, the supervisors, everyone. And re-deploy them to the U.S.-Mexico border and put them under the command of the border patrol. Line up hand in hand in a chain and let um start groping the folk coming across in the dark. That way the huddled masses seeking freedom can still come. But they will automatically be documented, strip searched, given temper work cards and entered into the system. POOF legal tax paying workers with no bale of coke hidden their shirt and no more Grannies getting groped at the airport. Tell the airlines to take care of their own planes any way they want. Free enterprise! I bet the next morning one of the carriers comes up with a "Fondle Free" flight and for a day or two takes all the customers away from the rest.

that is what I would do first. It would set the tone for my next move.

Franco
12-05-2011, 10:03 AM

RP's budget that he laid out over a month ago has over a TRILLION dollars in cuts and not only is a balanced budget, there is a surplus to pay down the debt!

road kill
12-05-2011, 10:10 AM
RP's budget that he laid out over a month ago has over a TRILLION dollars in cuts and not only is a balanced budget, there is a surplus to pay down the debt!
Does he have a cure for cancer yet???

Does he wear sandals????:rolleyes:

RK

Franco
12-05-2011, 10:30 AM
Does he have a cure for cancer yet???

Does he wear sandals????:rolleyes:

RK

Yes he does but, Big Pharma's lobby is too influential ;-)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXCZVmQ74OA&feature=youtu.be

Hew
12-05-2011, 02:18 PM
This is what my father has said to me regarding budgeting...FOR THE LAST 4 YEARS...I mean spooky...he has been saying that dang near word for word

Great minds, Birds of a feather and all that stuff to you Hew!!!!

Jake
No wonder you're so smart. :D;-):D

Cody Covey
12-05-2011, 02:41 PM

The point was that a president can only present a budget. Not put it into place via an executive order.

Franco
12-05-2011, 02:59 PM
The point was that a president can only present a budget. Not put it into place via an executive order.

I understood that.

My point is that RP is the only one willing to offer a solution to our budget and deficit problem. Everyone else just wants to make sybolic cuts to future increases in spending and then beat their chest like they've done something.

In my book, the most important issue is our lack of solvency.

Uncle Bill
12-05-2011, 03:51 PM
21st Century Contract With America

A Note from Newt Gingrich

http://www.newt.org/sites/newt.org/files/newt-darkbg.jpgAmerica’s exceptional nature is based on the self-evident truths contained in the Declaration of Independence. Our rights are endowed by our Creator and they are unalienable.
If we are to solve our jobs crisis and meet the challenges of the 21st century, we need a plan for national renewal based on these timeless American values.
That plan is the 21st Century Contract with America.
The 21st Century Contract with America will be much larger than the original, and will consist of four parts.

A set of legislative proposals (http://www.newt.org/contract/part-one) to shift America back to job creation, prosperity, freedom, and safety.
A "Day One Plan" of Executive Orders (http://www.newt.org/contract/first-day) to be signed on inauguration day to immediately transform the way the executive branch works.
A training program for the transition teams and the appointees who will lead the shift back to Constitutional, limited government (coming soon);
A system of citizen involvement to help us sustain grassroots support for change and help implement the change through 2021 (coming soon).The 21st Century Contract with America is so large and covers so many changes necessary to get America back on the right track that it can't possibly be developed by a small group.
Instead, it will be developed with the help and support of the American people.
The entire next year will be devoted to harnessing the wisdom and perspective of the American people to improving, developing and clarifying all four phases of the Contract. This website, Newt.org, will be the central hub where citizens can participate in this development. It will be released in final form on September 27, 2012. (Read "Why We Need a 21st Century Contract with America." (http://www.newt.org/news/why-we-need-21st-century-contract-america))
In an age where massive pieces of legislation are written in secret and passed before anyone has time to understand their contents, it is my hope that this open process of developing the 21st Century Contract with America will help restore the bonds of trust between the American people and their elected representatives.
This is a larger and more complex developmental challenge than any Presidential campaign has undertaken in modern times. The scale will seem impossible to some and grandiose to others. However, I believe it is the minimum necessary to mobilize the American people, change the entrenched elites and their system, and get America back on the right track.
That's why I’m asking Americans to be with me, not just for me, because it will take all of us, working together, to change Washington and to save our country.
I hope you will be with me for the next year as we develop the 21st Century Contract with America together.
Your friend
http://www.gingrichproductions.com/images/newt_sig.png

Newt

Gerry Clinchy
12-05-2011, 06:04 PM

Same for a state ... Keep your eye on Gov. Tom Corbett from PA.

They said it couldn't be done, but it got done. There was a $4 billion budget gap. The gap was bridged; the budget was actually decreased by $2 billion (first time in many years that PA decreased spending) ... and done with no increase in taxes.

While the headlines have focused on Chris Christie, Corbett just went ahead and got it done. Before he became Gov. he had started the investigation into Sandusky's child abuse.

The work's not done yet ... still the knotty problem of state union pensions; and getting out of the liquor business ... but it's a start.

Cody Covey
12-05-2011, 08:27 PM
Our state (Washington) just got out of the liquor business so to you I say good luck!

HPL
12-05-2011, 09:20 PM
Our state (Washington) just got out of the liquor business so to you I say good luck!
Can you explain what you mean?

luvmylabs23139
12-06-2011, 08:52 AM
Can you explain what you mean?

In some states the sale of spirits is totally controled by the state. I live in NC and all but beer and wine must be bought from a state controled ABC store. There is no free market. Strangely enough due to state taxes while NC totally controls the stores a bottle of Scotch is much cheaper in NC than CT even though NC taxes got increased again.

road kill
12-06-2011, 09:05 AM
If I were elected President my first day would be;

#1--Dump Obama care
#2--Open drilling in the Gulf and ANWAR, immediately!!!!
#3--Tell AZ and TX fix your borders however you see fit and mandate securing our borders elsewhere!!!
#4--Begin plans for building a state-of-the-art refinery in the middle USA, so as to service the Gulf and AK.
#5--Cut spending, holding to the 2010 budgets.........Dept heads, figure it out or your fired!!!
#6--Get the HELL out of Afgahnistan
#7--Cut aid to Pakistan

That's just before lunch!!

RK

luvmylabs23139
12-06-2011, 09:08 AM

#5--Cut spending, holding to the 2010 budgets.........Dept heads, figure it out or your fired!!!

RK

I'd tell them to cut to 2000 levels or else except the DOD. 2010 numbers are way to high! Of course I would cut the dept of ED to the 1976 level!

zeus3925
12-06-2011, 09:38 AM
I would mothball 3 carrier battle groups. We already have more carriers than the rest of the world's navies combined.

I would merge the U.S. Marshall''s office with the FBI and maybe the ATF.

I would set up a Hoover type commission to review all aspects with an eye of eliminating inefficiency in the federal government.

I would give priority to collecting royalties due the government for petroleum and mineral extraction.

Raymond Little
12-06-2011, 09:40 AM
Defund;
Obammer care, Dept of Energy, Dept of Education, EPA

Open ANWR, OCS

Encourage the building of New Refineries to process Canadian oil shale.

Bring troops home and place on border

HPL
12-06-2011, 10:38 AM
In some states the sale of spirits is totally controled by the state. I live in NC and all but beer and wine must be bought from a state controled ABC store. There is no free market. Strangely enough due to state taxes while NC totally controls the stores a bottle of Scotch is much cheaper in NC than CT even though NC taxes got increased again.
Thanks for the reply. Seems really strange, but I'm not sure that is something that is or even should be under the purview of the federal govt. Sounds more like a States' Rights issue to me.

luvmylabs23139
12-06-2011, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the reply. Seems really strange, but I'm not sure that is something that is or even should be under the purview of the federal govt. Sounds more like a States' Rights issue to me.
It is really no different than having a dry town. I have no idea if you still have them in Texas but I know they used to exist when I lived there as a child. We still have dry counties in NC and I can say that on principle when we moved here my husband would not look at a house just over the line for that reason. I did not care if it was only a one minute drive.

Jason Glavich
12-06-2011, 11:05 AM
I have only 1 simple order to impose then the rest would follow minutes after this one.

Make the USMC it's own department and stop letting the Navy siphon funds off the top. And of course this means it removes the mens department from Navy... j/k sort of...

Aries
12-06-2011, 11:37 AM
what did you expect from a person who spent his short State senate career running for the US Senate, and spent his short US Senate career running for President, and has spent his first term as President running for a second term, that's all he knows...history will probably remember this as the greatest political scam ever inflicted on the American public

You beat me to it. ;)

JDogger
12-06-2011, 11:53 AM
...history will probably remember this as the greatest political scam ever inflicted on the American public

Nooo...that's still in the works. The "anybody but Obama" shampaign is more likely to give us that scenario. JD

Ken Bora
12-06-2011, 12:02 PM
...history will probably remember this as the greatest political scam ever inflicted on the American public

um,
how about Johnson, back in '64 and his "Great" idea???;-)

BonMallari
12-06-2011, 12:31 PM
um,
how about Johnson, back in '64 and his "Great" idea???;-)

just a touch before my time ...but LBJ was a respected and experienced politician....unlike BHO who is just an experienced campaigner

M&K's Retrievers
12-06-2011, 01:30 PM
just a touch before my time ...but LBJ was a respected and experienced politician....unlike BHO who is just an experienced campaigner

Especially respected by those voters in 1948 from Alice, Texas. :p

charly_t
12-06-2011, 01:47 PM

Experienced......yes. Respected......not by all of us I can tell you. Yes, he was experienced ! In many ways !!!!!!!

Spelling bad ( again ).

subroc
12-06-2011, 02:16 PM
The president also can't "balance the budget."...

Can he refuse to sign any budget that comes to his desk that isn't in balance?

HPL
12-06-2011, 03:39 PM

#1--Dump Obama care
#2--Open drilling in the Gulf and ANWAR, immediately!!!!
#3--Tell AZ and TX fix your borders however you see fit and mandate securing our borders elsewhere!!!
#4--Begin plans for building a state-of-the-art refinery in the middle USA, so as to service the Gulf and AK.
#6--Get the HELL out of Afgahnistan
#7--Cut aid to Pakistan

RK
Allowing Az to secure its border isn't a bad idea, but I don't think I would let Tex do it on its own as it is my impression that the current admin here isn't particularly interested in a controlled border.

BonMallari
12-06-2011, 03:59 PM
Allowing Az to secure its border isn't a bad idea, but I don't think I would let Tex do it on its own as it is my impression that the current admin here isn't particularly interested in a controlled border.

He sure hasnt shown it as Governor but has staked his campaign and reputation on it while campaigning