PDA

View Full Version : Thank goodness it floats.

Hugoflats
12-05-2011, 11:23 PM
Saturday my 1 year old BLF and I went hunting for wood ducks in the Tombigbee river. I had placed the transmitter of my Techtronics 500 in the side pocket of my jacket while in a small flat bottom boat. After retrieving several ducks I suddenly noticed that it had fallen out and was nowhere in the boat. Needless to say, my day turned really bad thinking of the high cost of replacement.

As we were about to leave the area, I noticed a small unusual looking 2" long "stick" floating vertically in the water about 20 feet away. On closer look I realized that it was the antenna of my transmitter and immediately remembered that they are built to float. Was I ever happy!!! Thank you Techtronics, it still works great!

BTW, my dog Beretta retrieved her first duck and did me proud. She had to swim through numerous limbs and floating logs along the bank to find it but did so with her usual flair and excitement. Gosh it made all the hours of training worth it. The only problem encountered was her reluctance to get in or out of the boat; the first one she has ever been in.

Jason Glavich
12-06-2011, 11:08 AM
Congrats on your dogs first duck.

Do you mean TriTronics? Or is techtronics a different company?

Hugoflats
12-06-2011, 11:23 PM
You are correct, it is a Tri-tronics. Sorry, was going by memory, always dangerous at 62.

TN_LAB
12-07-2011, 10:54 AM
I'd recommend you make it more visible (hunter's orange tape, paint, lanyard, etc.) and/or make it nice n smelly (won't take much). I even taught my dog that it's OK for her to fetch it up (not chew, but fetch n retrieve).

I'm sure I'm not the only one that has dropped mine in the field and had to solicit help from the dog to find em.

Jason Glavich
12-07-2011, 11:11 AM
I'd recommend you make it more visible (hunter's orange tape, paint, lanyard, etc.) and/or make it nice n smelly (won't take much). I even taught my dog that it's OK for her to fetch it up (not chew, but fetch n retrieve).

I'm sure I'm not the only one that has dropped mine in the field and had to solicit help from the dog to find em.

I dropped mine while tracking a deer with the dog. Found the deer lost the remote. Then got lost in the woods trying to find the remote.

A few hours later I quit looking for it. My buddy went out the next day and walked right to it.

I wish I would have had a orange cover on it instead of the Camo one.

Hugoflats
12-07-2011, 11:29 PM
Good idea on the orange tape. I bought a black cover but now wish it was orange. May try to find one.