PDA

View Full Version : Lardy ?

Chris Rosier
12-10-2011, 11:35 AM
Im trying to decide between buying Total Retriever Training and Total Retriever Marking. What are the main differences in the two sets?

I've used a combination of programs with my dog. Looking more for advanced training help but also just want to learn more about training in general. Im of the belief that when you think you know all you need to know, you probably dont know as much as you think. LOL

Shields
12-11-2011, 08:43 PM
Quick response would be TRTraining covers handling while TRMarking covers marking. I own both and would probably purchase Training first, as Marking requires the ability to handle to go through concepts such as decheating banks. They are both nice resources to have and would suggest purchasing both.

J. Walker
12-11-2011, 09:29 PM
Im trying to decide between buying Total Retriever Training and Total Retriever Marking. What are the main differences in the two sets?

I've used a combination of programs with my dog. Looking more for advanced training help but also just want to learn more about training in general. Im of the belief that when you think you know all you need to know, you probably dont know as much as you think. LOL

You really cannot decide between the two. They are different. TRT covers some marking concepts and issues but addresses handling, how to teach it, and how to progress with it. However, TRM does a great job of showing the progression of marking concepts from puppies to highly advanced dogs while giving a lot of the rationale behind what's set up and done. If you have a pup, TRM is the way to go since you'll get a lot more use out of it than you would with TRT, in my opinion. When the dog hits about six or eight months, TRT becomes more relevant but TRM is still very applicable and will continue to be.

Chris Rosier
12-12-2011, 02:49 PM
I'll get both eventually, I should have been more clear I guess. I only have one dog, she already has an HRCH and we're working on an MH. Im trying to find out which would be better for advanced stages of training.....

J. Walker
12-12-2011, 06:49 PM
I'll get both eventually, I should have been more clear I guess. I only have one dog, she already has an HRCH and we're working on an MH. Im trying to find out which would be better for advanced stages of training.....

If your dog is already handling well, I'd get TRM since it's a lot more in depth in what dogs will do most: marking. It also addresses issues in training such as when to handle, recall or have the gun help on marks. He also discusses what to do when dogs make mistakes like hunting behind gun stations. By handling well, I mean your dog will do a tempting 150+ yard poison bird blind in a few casts. If it takes a dozen or so casts to do that right now, you may want to get TRT instead as Lardy covers handling, pattern blinds, pattern blinds with diversions, and so on in pretty good detail. He also gives a good demonstration of drills like the no-no drill and the tune up drill so, again, a lot of it is predicated upon where your dog stands with handling right now.

Chris Rosier
12-12-2011, 09:54 PM
Thats exactly what I was trying to find out. She is handling very well. Her blinds keep getting better and better. We ran a Master test last weekend and I blew 4 whistles on 3 blinds.

Thank you sir for the information on TRM. Thats what Ill go with first.