PDA

View Full Version : Republican Debates: Dec. 10

Gerry Clinchy
12-11-2011, 12:35 PM
http://www.2012presidentialelectionnews.com/2011/12/video-watch-the-entire-abc-newsyahoo-iowa-republican-debate/

I think this one went pretty well for everyone.

At the end it was interesting to see Santorum give credit to Gingrich for shaping his conservative views; for Rick Perry to credit Ron Paul with educating him about the Federal Reserve; for Newt to compliment Rick and Santorum for respective merits.

Rick Perry made a good point, WRT Newt's controversial Palestinian statement, was far less important than Obama not destroying that stealth drone (I find it INCREDIBLE that they don't have a self-destruct mechanism in those things!).

RP substantiated that Newt's Palestinian statement was, indeed, technically correct.

I think Romney still has a tough time disengaging himself from the individual mandate for health care that he supported in MA.

Franco, still think that RP could be a potent resource for change, if he could hook up with one of the othe candidates.

Interesting that Santorum has been able to stay high enough in the polls to merit inclusion in the debate when Huntsman did not.

BonMallari
12-11-2011, 02:21 PM
Have not had time to watch the replay of the debate yet, but I did see the clip where Perry took a jab at Gingrich about cheating on a spouse or in business...which brings up this question

why do they grill Cain for perceived infidelity but yet they give Gingrich an apparent pass on his transgressions

Gerry Clinchy
12-11-2011, 02:49 PM
Bon, they didn't exactly give Newt a "pass" ... but since this is something that goes back a few years for Newt; and it has been common knowledge; it is easier for Newt to say: I've made mistakes, learned from them, and made my peace with that. Basically, Christianity has a foundation based on forgiveness, so Christian voters could relate to such a "defense" of past sins? If we want to get biblical, King David broke lots of Commandments, but he was always forgiven.

The Cain situation was new ... and Cain's position is that he didn't do it. He might be able to prove it, but by the time he did, it would be too late to salvage his campaign.

Also note that Bachmann mentions Cain twice in her remarks ... perhaps trying to attract some of those who had supported Cain?

However, if Newt were to be the actual nominee, I'd be pretty sure that the Dems will hit on all of Newt's background, and they wouldn't be handing out much forgiveness. However, voters seemed pretty willing to forgive Bill and Hillary for White Water; and Bill for Monica (et al). It seems that voters will forgive a lot of character flaws when they have jobs and prosperity. FDR and Kennedy also got "passes" for their womanizing. Not saying that is a good thing ... but seems to be the reality.

Surprising that nobody has brought up the ethics issues of Newt's history in Congress. That might be of more impactful than his marital history.

I am struck by the fact that if these egos can eventually be harnessed behind whomever wins the nomination, it could be a force for great good for the country. Similarly, the nominee, if elected, might be very smart to get the others into positions where they could help get the job done that all of them seem to want done. We could certainly use someone other than Holder as AG!

M&K's Retrievers
12-11-2011, 02:52 PM
Have not had time to watch the replay of the debate yet, but I did see the clip where Perry took a jab at Gingrich about cheating on a spouse or in business...which brings up this question

why do they grill Cain for perceived infidelity but yet they give Gingrich an apparent pass on his transgressions

Probably because Newt's are old news while Cain's are new and he's still denying their validity.

BonMallari
12-11-2011, 03:58 PM
Bon, they didn't exactly give Newt a "pass" ... but since this is something that goes back a few years for Newt; and it has been common knowledge; it is easier for Newt to say: I've made mistakes, learned from them, and made my peace with that. Basically, Christianity has a foundation based on forgiveness, so Christian voters could relate to such a "defense" of past sins? If we want to get biblical, King David broke lots of Commandments, but he was always forgiven.

The Cain situation was new ... and Cain's position is that he didn't do it. He might be able to prove it, but by the time he did, it would be too late to salvage his campaign.

Also note that Bachmann mentions Cain twice in her remarks ... perhaps trying to attract some of those who had supported Cain?

However, if Newt were to be the actual nominee, I'd be pretty sure that the Dems will hit on all of Newt's background, and they wouldn't be handing out much forgiveness. However, voters seemed pretty willing to forgive Bill and Hillary for White Water; and Bill for Monica (et al). It seems that voters will forgive a lot of character flaws when they have jobs and prosperity. FDR and Kennedy also got "passes" for their womanizing. Not saying that is a good thing ... but seems to be the reality.

Surprising that nobody has brought up the ethics issues of Newt's history in Congress. That might be of more impactful than his marital history.

I am struck by the fact that if these egos can eventually be harnessed behind whomever wins the nomination, it could be a force for great good for the country. Similarly, the nominee, if elected, might be very smart to get the others into positions where they could help get the job done that all of them seem to want done. We could certainly use someone other than Holder as AG!

Pelosi hinted at it and Newt called her hand , but you just know that those events will mysteriously get leaked at the appropriate time to the press for use when necessary...

As for Newt saying that Palestine is "made up", its his subtle way of playing to the pro Israel crowd, by denying the Palestinians have any standing..

Gerry Clinchy
12-11-2011, 07:44 PM
As for Newt saying that Palestine is "made up", its his subtle way of playing to the pro Israel crowd, by denying the Palestinians have any standing..

RP was the most truthful in ackowledging that the statement was technically correct ... but also agreed that the statement was not conducive to helping negotiations.

Sue Kiefer
12-11-2011, 09:17 PM
Personally the debate sounded all like rehearsed political statements about nothing. Blah blah blah blah
The only guy that I felt was different was Ron Paul.
Sue

BonMallari
12-11-2011, 09:28 PM
Personally the debate sounded all like rehearsed political statements about nothing. Blah blah blah blah
The only guy that I felt was different was Ron Paul.
Sue

does that mean you have already made up your mind ?

Sue Kiefer
12-11-2011, 10:00 PM
Nope.
Just was kind of funny listening to the candidates answering questions.
More than once a candidate was asked a question numerous times because he/she wasn't actual answering the question ONLY babbling his/her political blah blah blah............
Newt G. was the funnest.
He looked like a white faced old dog up there with his chest so puffed out from "His experience and all".
Blah blah blah .............

BonMallari
12-11-2011, 10:16 PM
Nope.
More than once a candidate was asked a question numerous times because he/she wasn't actual answering the question ONLY babbling his/her political blah blah blah............
Newt G. was the funnest.
He looked like a white faced old dog up there with his chest so puffed out from "His experience and all".

have to admit I am getting tired of the debates too, nothing really of real substance is coming from them, but also admit I have NOT made up my mind either, now that Cain is out of the race...the only thing I know for sure is that it will be for a candidate with a R as their party,no Indy no Incumbent, and I will vote

luvmylabs23139
12-12-2011, 09:05 AM
Nope.
Newt G. was the funnest.

Still, any one of them would be a vast improvement over his royal socailist ass, otherwise known as the chosen one, commie OBUMMA!!!!!
Why hasn't he been charged with treason yet???

zeus3925
12-12-2011, 09:45 AM
Here is the fact check for the debate:

http://www.startribune.com/politics/national/135407703.html?page=1&c=y