PDA

View Full Version : so, what do you all think about this whole Drone fiasco?

Ken Bora
12-13-2011, 09:44 AM
so, what do you all think about this whole Drone fiasco?
Do you think they could have hacked into it and told it to land?
Do you thing it simply lost contact and hit default and landed itself?
Can you believe our commander in chief asked for it back?
In my minds eye I see a kid calling for his ball from the old man across the fence.
We don't have a self destruct do-hicky on those things????
Might be somptin they might wanna add to the next one!:rolleyes:

charly_t
12-13-2011, 09:55 AM
so, what do you all think about this whole Drone fiasco?....................................

Yep, this is my thought exactly. I really do expect the people who plan this stuff to be smarter than I am ....... and even I would have have planned for this happening.

BonMallari
12-13-2011, 10:05 AM
follow the money trail....million dollar defense systems just dont drop out of the sky...I have watched James Bond save the world way too many times and know better..something smells rotten in the whole deal

Jason Glavich
12-13-2011, 10:05 AM
It reminds me of the movie The Sandlot

Cody Covey
12-13-2011, 11:20 AM
Drones have been hacked into before so wouldn't really be a stretch to say that happened here.

road kill
12-13-2011, 11:34 AM
Evidently another one crashed today.:rolleyes:

RK

road kill
12-13-2011, 12:05 PM
Evidently Iran is demanding an apology from Obama.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/13/iran-downed-drone-obama_n_1145337.html?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmaing11%7Cdl8%7Csec1_lnk3%7C119612

What do you all think Obama will do???

RK

Gerry Clinchy
12-13-2011, 12:14 PM
Originally Posted by Ken Bora http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums/showthread.php?p=892597#post892597)
so, what do you all think about this whole Drone fiasco?....................................

Duh? Seems obvious that they should have a self-destruct mechanism. Did somebody screw up on that?

It was mentioned that they had lost contact with the drone ... then it turned up in Iran. There was some mention along the way of Iran having some electronic jamming capability. Maybe Iran just found out that the new technology it works just fine?

road kill
12-13-2011, 01:11 PM
Now I have read Obama has asked "may we please have it back?"

Iran said "NO!":shock:

Very sad.

Cheney recommended going in and blowing up the drone.

RK

Hew
12-13-2011, 01:39 PM
At first I thought it was just a run-of-the-mill drone like a Predator and figured, "BFD, knock yourselves out, monkey f'ers." I recently saw a picture of it....looks like a miniture B2 stealth bomber. I bet it does have all kinds of sophisticated stuff on it. That's pretty ridiculous that it doesn't have a means to be destructed when control/power is lost. There's a part of me that thinks/hopes that because it wasn't destructed that maybe we want them to have it; like a Trojan Horse...maybe when they start examining the hardware/software it will give them more Stuxnet-type viruses. But the larger part of me says "SNAFU." But if it was just a SNAFU, why embarrass ourselves by a) admitting it was ours, or b) asking for it back? Again, I hope there's some cloak and dagger stuff going on and not us being idjits.

road kill
12-13-2011, 02:33 PM
At first I thought it was just a run-of-the-mill drone like a Predator and figured, "BFD, knock yourselves out, GOAT f'ers." I recently saw a picture of it....looks like a miniture B2 stealth bomber. I bet it does have all kinds of sophisticated stuff on it. That's pretty ridiculous that it doesn't have a means to be destructed when control/power is lost. There's a part of me that thinks/hopes that because it wasn't destructed that maybe we want them to have it; like a Trojan Horse...maybe when they start examining the hardware/software it will give them more Stuxnet-type viruses. But the larger part of me says "SNAFU." But if it was just a SNAFU, why embarrass ourselves by a) admitting it was ours, or b) asking for it back? Again, I hope there's some cloak and dagger stuff going on and not us being idjits.

Fixed!

Hew, sorry, I couldn't resisit.

RK

Ken Bora
12-13-2011, 09:01 PM
I vote for Idjit!
Heck of an $$$$ way to slip um a virus.
Dont we have spies for that?

HPL
12-13-2011, 09:19 PM
Yep, this is my thought exactly. I really do expect the people who plan this stuff to be smarter than I am ....... and even I would have have planned for this happening.
Well, I don't necessarily expect them to be smarter than I am, but at least smarter than my brother in law and even he thought that a self destruct mechanism might be a worthwhile idea.

IowaBayDog
12-14-2011, 11:51 AM
Its amazing how many engineering geniuses are on here :rolleyes:. If someone could jam the drone and take control of it, its pretty easy to imagine they are probably sophisticated enough to disable a self destruct system.

You can't put a system on that blows up as soon as we lose communication with it. Everytime there was a glitch in the datalink system they would be blowing up in the sky. Apparently BHO doesn't have the nuggets to drop a Tomahawk inside Iran, or whatever technology is in the drone isn't worth it. The software to control the drone is where the technology lies, the rest is just an RC plane with cameras.

Hew
12-14-2011, 12:27 PM
Apparently BHO doesn't have the nuggets to drop a Tomahawk inside Iran, or whatever technology is in the drone isn't worth it. The software to control the drone is where the technology lies, the rest is just an RC plane with cameras.
If I were an engineering genius I would hazard that the real value of the drone was in the high-tech photograpy/eavesdropping equipment as well as the stealth design/exterior skin/radar absorbing paint. But I'm not so smart so I will agree with you that we should have probably risked WWIII by tomahawking the Iranians so we could destroy the drone control software that they've already demonstrated they have a thorough understanding of since, as you claim, the Iranians took control of it in mid-air and landed it.

mjh345
12-14-2011, 02:38 PM
Its amazing how many engineering geniuses are on here The software to control the drone is where the technology lies, the rest is just an RC plane with cameras.

I'm definitely no engineering genius, but Really???

After reading this I gotta doubt your chops also

I mean REally???

road kill
12-14-2011, 02:40 PM
Did we apologize yet??

Just askin'.........

RK

caryalsobrook
12-14-2011, 02:48 PM
Did we apologize yet??

Just askin'.........

RK

Apology not necessary. A bow will be sufficient.:p

IowaBayDog
12-14-2011, 03:54 PM
I'm definitely no engineering genius, but Really???

After reading this I gotta doubt your chops also

I mean REally???

Yes really, stealth technology is quite old and probably widely distributed on the black market, nothing to learn there that can't be found somewhere else and easily at that. Most of the imaging equipment has been around for decades as well, its smaller and better now for sure but really not much new.

The control systems and data links to facilitate those control systems are quite sofisticated and you would not get that information from having the drone. 80% of the cost of that drone is in SW and control systems. Feel free to doubt the chops, the people signing my paychecks don't.

IowaBayDog
12-14-2011, 03:57 PM
If I were an engineering genius I would hazard that the real value of the drone was in the high-tech photograpy/eavesdropping equipment as well as the stealth design/exterior skin/radar absorbing paint. But I'm not so smart so I will agree with you that we should have probably risked WWIII by tomahawking the Iranians so we could destroy the drone control software that they've already demonstrated they have a thorough understanding of since, as you claim, the Iranians took control of it in mid-air and landed it.

I never claimed they did anything, your sarcasm detector must be faulty. You can't get the software off of it in a for that could be re-engineered. If they did hack it, it probably isn't worth protecting, and probably the reason we didn't blow it.

Tom Clancy movies, though excellent entertainment, are not real.

Cody Covey
12-14-2011, 04:01 PM
I never claimed they did anything, your sarcasm detector must be faulty. You can't get the software off of it in a for that could be re-engineered. If they did hack it, it probably isn't worth protecting, and probably the reason we didn't blow it.

Tom Clancy movies, though excellent entertainment, are not real.

Thats a pretty stupid statement since the CIA gets hacked on a regular basis.

IowaBayDog
12-14-2011, 04:27 PM
Thats a pretty stupid statement since the CIA gets hacked on a regular basis.

No, they don't, not successfully anyway. And if/when they do all the protocols used in that protection system get scrapped for something new. So the old crypto is useless. They have multiple backup systems to convert to if one is breached.

Being hacked from the outside and leaks from the inside are very different things.

Once again, movies are not real!

Hew
12-15-2011, 01:33 PM
Pretty interesting article with explanation of how Iran likely came to possess the drone: http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Middle-East/2011/1215/Exclusive-Iran-hijacked-US-drone-says-Iranian-engineer