PDA

View Full Version : Should Holder Sue Hillary?

Gerry Clinchy
12-13-2011, 08:43 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2011/12/13/team-obamas-immigration-hypocrisy/

If this article is accurate, you can't help but see some humor in the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing.

According to the State Department’s own website, the Department considers it important that state and local law enforcement comply with the Vienna Convention so that our own citizens will be provided with the same type of assistance by “U.S. consular officers” when they are abroad.

So while the State Department is doing everything it can to encourage local law enforcement officials to check the citizenship status of anyone arrested so that the U.S. can comply with treaty-provided consular access privileges, the Justice Department is suing to prevent local law enforcement officials from checking the citizenship status of anyone arrested even when they have a “reasonable suspicion” that the individual is in the United States unlawfully.

This despite the fact that the State Department manual says on page 13 that it “is the arresting officer’s responsibility to inquire about a person’s nationality if there is any reason to believe that he or she is not a U.S. citizen.” “Any reason to believe” is a less strict standard than “reasonable suspicion.”

It’s time for the Obama administration to stop suing states and start cooperating with them, encouraging them to help the federal government find, detain and deport illegal immigrants. If it lacks the courage to do that, and it truly believes, as its litigation indicates, that authorities should not be checking the citizenship status of local lawbreakers, than the State Department should withdraw its “Consular Notification and Access” manual, and stop telling local police officers to comply with the Vienna Convention by checking the citizenship status of criminals. And it should quit asking the Supreme Court to prevent the executions of convicted murderers because local police did not identify them as foreign nationals.

BonMallari
12-13-2011, 09:09 PM
ask Vince Foster :rolleyes::rolleyes:

HPL
12-14-2011, 11:37 PM
Funniest and most tragic link I have seen in quite a bit. Almost makes my head hurt.

Gerry Clinchy
12-15-2011, 08:44 AM
Funniest and most tragic link I have seen in quite a bit. Almost makes my head hurt.

It raises the question: is it okay to "profile" if it is to "protect" someone, i.e. fully inform a foreign national of his/her right to consular assistance?

I think the states being sued by Holder should use this State Dept. manual as their defense for the process of checking individuals they stop for other infractions?

Actually, wouldn't they all just be smarter to follow the process of the State Dept. manual & simply not make a State law, since they don't need one to follow this ID-checking process? ... and then Holder would simply have to sue the State Dept. :-)

HPL
12-15-2011, 10:13 AM
It raises the question: is it okay to "profile" if it is to "protect" someone, i.e. fully inform a foreign national of his/her right to consular assistance?

I think the states being sued by Holder should use this State Dept. manual as their defense for the process of checking individuals they stop for other infractions?

Actually, wouldn't they all just be smarter to follow the process of the State Dept. manual & simply not make a State law, since they don't need one to follow this ID-checking process? ... and then Holder would simply have to sue the State Dept. :-)
That is a GREAT idea. Just one major flaw. Makes WAY too much sense. We would like to think that somehow the state governments are better than the Federal Govt., but the fact is they are all subject to the same stupidity.

Gerry Clinchy
12-15-2011, 12:00 PM
That is a GREAT idea. Just one major flaw. Makes WAY too much sense. We would like to think that somehow the state governments are better than the Federal Govt., but the fact is they are all subject to the same stupidity.

With such a morass off Federal regulations, this could easily escape a lot of people.

Maybe everyone on this forum who lives in a state being sued, should just send a copy of the article to their state's governor & atty general?

Have to imagine that it would be VERY embarrassing for Holder to see this sprung on him at the last minute ... so I wouldn't send him a copy :-)I'd guess Holder's reasoning would be that his staff just didn't bring the matter to his attention, much like the Fast & Furious operation?