PDA

View Full Version : Chistmas Spirit Lives

Gerry Clinchy
12-23-2011, 01:40 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/12/16/anonymous-donors-pay-off-kmart-layaway-accounts/?test=gnews&test=gnews

When you read stuff like this, you can't help but have hope for a country filled with people like this.

Hew
12-23-2011, 05:33 PM
My wife, kids and I did that today at K-Mart (Wal-mart, I discovered, doesn't do layaway). Got the idea from <<insert evil organ music>> Glenn Beck's radio show a few daus ago. It wasn't his original idea...he just passed it on. We shoulda done it earlier as there weren't a lot of people that hadn't paid their's off yet. Asked the ladies at the layaway counter to look through their list for layaways of toys, bike, kid's stuff. They were real helpful and said other folks had done the same thing.

Gerry Clinchy
12-23-2011, 06:02 PM
It is too bad that this didn't get around sooner ... although the ones who had not paid off yet may be the ones who really, really couldn't pay it off, and needed it most?

K-mart is part of Sears, and, the article said, one of the few places that does layaway anymore (and has done it for many years). Sears is also the employer that continued to pay for benefits and wages for those who were called to military service.

For the rest of us, something to keep in mind for next Christmas?

charly_t
12-23-2011, 07:18 PM
It is too bad that this didn't get around sooner ... although the ones who had not paid off yet may be the ones who really, really couldn't pay it off, and needed it most?...............................

My thoughts also. My cash flow will not permit me to do this so I sent a small check to a worthy cause. I figure if all of us who can afford to do something in a small way contribute wherever we can it helps.

Gerry Clinchy
12-23-2011, 09:58 PM
Charly, from what the article said, some of those balances are not that large ... but if the people don't make the final payment they lose their whole wad.

charly_t
12-23-2011, 10:22 PM
Charly, from what the article said, some of those balances are not that large ... but if the people don't make the final payment they lose their whole wad.

I read about that in my local paper and on my juno home page. I am very happy for both the parties ( those who receive and those who give ) in these stories. I have some people that I manage to give things to off and on during the year and it always makes me feel good :-) Hubby has his places where he donates ( church group, Salvation Army and Red cross ) and I have mine. I guess that I am selfish or something as I prefer not to be seen or make a scene of any kind. I love hearing about other people having done this though. I would sure hate to offer to do any of this and have people find out that I didn't have enough money to do it, lol.

Gerry Clinchy
12-24-2011, 10:00 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/12/24/human-christmas-tree-makes-point-at-staten-island-ferry-terminal/?test=latestnews

Christmas tree protest :-)

road kill
12-24-2011, 11:02 AM
I felt very bad for those poor folks Obama trotted out to personify how poor some are.

They had to decide between Friday night pizza or cable TV due to the potential loss of $40 in tax increases.

So since survival is obviously dependent on having cable and PIZZA to eat on Friday nights, I sent them $40 to help them face the pain.

Oh the humanity................:cool:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/40dollars

RK