PDA

View Full Version : This tells the truth, and it's pretty much all bad news.

1tulip
12-26-2011, 10:18 PM
http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/286354/vandalized-valley-victor-davis-hanson

Hanson is a skilled observer and superb writer. He's uniquely positioned to comment on the decay in California since he grew up in a farming community and taught (History, I think) in the UC system.

His point about cash-strapped governments preying on the middle class is dead on.

paul young
12-27-2011, 11:12 AM
post removed by originator.

charly_t
12-27-2011, 12:04 PM
http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/286354/vandalized-valley-victor-davis-hanson

Hanson is a skilled observer and superb writer. He's uniquely positioned to comment on the decay in California since he grew up in a farming community and taught (History, I think) in the UC system.

His point about cash-strapped governments preying on the middle class is dead on.

Sis wanted to buy a bronze or brass marker for a relative's grave from about 1908. I told her I thought it better be stone not metal the way people are stealing metal around here. Old cemetery out in the country.

Hew
12-27-2011, 12:23 PM
post removed by originator.
Awww, you're no fun. Your cynicism is always welcome here, friend. ;-)

Hew
12-27-2011, 12:25 PM

Hanson is a skilled observer and superb writer.
Isn't VDH a great writer? Guy always hits 'em out of the park. One of my favorites.

Gerry Clinchy
12-27-2011, 02:00 PM
When I read this stuff, I'm surprised anyone is remaining in CA.

BonMallari
12-27-2011, 02:33 PM
When I read this stuff, I'm surprised anyone is remaining in CA.

one of the reasons I left in '95....no where else in the country has the demographic changed more than it has in Calif...believe it or not Calif was once a solid R state, but with all the influx and population explosion of the minority they have become the majority and have depleted the states resources to bankruptcy and default

Uncle Bill
12-27-2011, 03:56 PM
Isn't VDH a great writer? Guy always hits 'em out of the park. One of my favorites.

You, no doubt, read him more than I do. While I have sincere respect for him, I'd be curious to know where he stands on gun control. My son and his father-in-law fight almost daily against their gun rights being stomped on in that God-forsaken-state.

As to his story of the elderly neighbors, it would be a cold day in hell before that number of violations to my property would reach past 2. And for that sign, that's as pacifist as they come. It's no wonder they are being taken advantage of. Were it my property, the 2nd attempt would require the cops to remove the dead bodies of the intruders. It's a simple axiom...fight fire with fire. The hoodlums know no other way, and have zero respect for those that 'feel' they can negotiate away their unsavory visitors.

VDH is a great "writer", but what he and the many law abiding citizens need, rather than moan about what's happening to their once fair community, is a group of concerned citizens willing to stand up to these criminals. Call them vigilantes or whatever, but this type of anarchy is just getting started...the OWS losers were just the mild beginning. Time is past where the "other guy" should handle the problem...look in the mirror and ask THAT dude what he intends to do about this situation. Time to get organized and prepared to fight for what WAS, and how it should remain. The longer you delay, the stronger the riff-raff becomes.

UB

Franco
12-27-2011, 04:04 PM
one of the reasons I left in '95....no where else in the country has the demographic changed more than it has in Calif...believe it or not Calif was once a solid R state, but with all the influx and population explosion of the minority they have become the majority and have depleted the states resources to bankruptcy and default

When I was living there, we had Gov. Wilson who I thought was very effective. I agree, the minorities hated him and they haven't had a true leader since!

road kill
12-27-2011, 04:12 PM
Maybe someone could explain this,

The state of CA is in dire straits.
In no small part due to the policies they have pursued and implemented.

Is it fair to say they have failed?

MISERABLY???

Why then do other states and the country continue down the same path?

Is it pure raw stupidity??
Or, do some think that CA is the gold standard??

Just askin'........

RK

Uncle Bill
12-27-2011, 04:26 PM
Maybe someone could explain this,

The state of CA is in dire straits.
In no small part due to the policies they have pursued and implemented.

Is it fair to say they have failed?

MISERABLY???

Why then do other states and the country continue down the same path?

Is it pure raw stupidity??
Or, do some think that CA is the gold standard??

Just askin'........

RK

We have only the 2012 election to get this nation in the proper hands, or it's a lost cause.

You KNOW this is why:

The danger to America is not Barack Obama, but the citizenry capable of entrusting a man like him with the presidency.
It will be easier to limit and undo the follies of an Obama presidency, than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to an electorate willing to have such a man for their president.
The problem is much deeper and far more serious than Mr. Obama, who is a mere symptom of what ails us.
Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince.
The republic can survive a Barack Obama. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those that made him their President.

Our work is cut out for us....we MUST educate as many of these 'fools' as we can by next November, or we will be another Greece before the next election is held.

UB

Hew
12-27-2011, 04:32 PM
Call them vigilantes or whatever, but this type of anarchy is just getting started...the OWS losers were just the mild beginning. Time is past where the "other guy" should handle the problem...look in the mirror and ask THAT dude what he intends to do about this situation. Time to get organized and prepared to fight for what WAS, and how it should remain. The longer you delay, the stronger the riff-raff becomes.
I did my part, UB. 4 nights a week, after dropping my daughter off at her frivilously expensive ballet class I'd drive by the OWS riff-raff in my bourgeois mini-van and taunt them. Once while driving by my youngest daughter proclaimed, "Ewwww, daddy, those smelly hippies probably drink screw top wine, don't they?" My proudest moment. ;-)

road kill
12-27-2011, 04:40 PM
I did my part, UB. 4 nights a week, after dropping my daughter off at her frivilously expensive ballet class I'd drive by the OWS riff-raff in my bourgeois mini-van and taunt them. Once while driving by my youngest daughter proclaimed, "Ewwww, daddy, those smelly hippies probably drink screw top wine, don't they?" My proudest moment. ;-)

I did my share, I donated $40 so the poor impoverished would not have to choose between pizza or cable tv!

RK

charly_t
12-27-2011, 04:41 PM
Welllllll.......a good sized target in the yard in plain site with a lot of shell casings ( both rifle and shotgun ) laying at the correct distance from it has a chilling effect on some robbers to be. Our neighbors all know that everyone in this house can shoot and does. Other houses around here were robbed at different times ( neighbor kid ) but I have never missed anything being gone from our place. Of course it helps that we used to have a neighbor that told tall tales and who saw me shoot some rabbits while on crutches one year, lol.

Uncle Bill
12-27-2011, 04:44 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...A chip off the ol' block. Keep poppin' those corks.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d103/Uncle_Bill22/RedAssRhubarbwine.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d103/Uncle_Bill22/cid_00a901ca4240fd19d830B078F770yourbe71e130be.jpg

Give that young lady of yours a hug from Uncle Bill.:D

UB

Marvin S
12-27-2011, 07:03 PM
When I retired some time ago :), we looked at properties in WY, MT, ID, SD, OR & WA. Made several offers that were refused @ the height of the boom & we were not offering bailout money :o. I don't know how many properties we passed on that had a mortgage for more than the property was worth by 100%. We are glad that none were accepted, there is more flexibility being able to travel & move when the weather is not to your liking! Though we would still make a purchase for property only. Al Catey & I were looking to buy a property together to be able to get one of real size, unfortunately Al passed & the sport lost one of the good guys & I lost a a potential property sharer. TBS - one area stuck out in all our viewings - North of Spokane & East of Newport were some nice properties, fairly reasonable, good climate, & fairly decent water for training. But, the majority of homes had bars on the windows, not to prevent Mex infiltration but to keep the druggies out. Shoot one of the bastards & you can bet they belong to someone with political clout, it don't work everywhere, UB.

I laugh at the people, even on this forum who believe dope is victimless, they need to read the article a few times & substitute druggies for the lawless illegals.

40 years ago the cops were targeting those of us who worked coming into one of the local cities. Tickets weren't that expensive but the bump in insurance was. I called the head of the chamber in that city & told him I was going to lead the fight to stop shopping in the town if it wasn't stopped. Worked :o. Tickets from those who can pay are a lucrative form of budget enhancer for the overcompensated public employees of today. We will not take our country back until we get a real hardass elected, Reagan wasn't the answer though he is the Holy Grail for moderates in the party. I am cheering the Tea Party guys on as they are our only hope regardless of how radical most think them to be, in most cases they are not radical enough fiscally. Unfortunately it is the get along go along's who are elected :(.

UB, where can I get a bottle of that wine!!!!!!!

Gerry Clinchy
12-27-2011, 07:13 PM
The Obama administration will ask Congress to raise the nation's borrowing limit by $1.2 trillion this week, marking the third and final increase from a deal negotiated over summer.

Treasury officials say the increase will boost the nation's borrowing limit to $16.4 trillion. Treasury officials say the increase is necessary because the nation will be within $100 billion of the current limit by Friday.

In August, Congress and the administration agreed to raise the borrowing limit by $2.1 trillion in three steps. The parties also agreed to cut more than $2 trillion from the deficit over the next 10 years.

Congress can reject the increase, though Obama can then veto their objection. If Congress doesn't act by Jan. 14, the increase will take place automatically.

Following in CA's footsteps?

1tulip
12-27-2011, 11:10 PM
VDH is a scholarly sort of guy and I don't know if he would use a weapon on another human being. However, one of his special areas of academic interest is ancient military history and warrior ethos. I suspect his head is in the right place when it comes to the 2nd amendment though I can't say for sure.

Having said that... if that garbage had been dropped on my property, and I had the litter in it that gave the address of the dumper... I'd have loaded that stuff up and dumped it back in their yard, with a little reminder that further trespassing would evoke an unambivalent and energetic response.

Vis. immigration as "cause" of the decay: the cause is to be found in the legislature and courts. The out of control immigration is a secondary effect, and also the tipping point to disaster.

Uncle Bill
12-28-2011, 04:23 PM
When I retired some time ago :), we looked at properties in WY, MT, ID, SD, OR & WA. Made several offers that were refused @ the height of the boom & we were not offering bailout money :o. I don't know how many properties we passed on that had a mortgage for more than the property was worth by 100%. We are glad that none were accepted, there is more flexibility being able to travel & move when the weather is not to your liking! Though we would still make a purchase for property only. Al Catey & I were looking to buy a property together to be able to get one of real size, unfortunately Al passed & the sport lost one of the good guys & I lost a a potential property sharer. TBS - one area stuck out in all our viewings - North of Spokane & East of Newport were some nice properties, fairly reasonable, good climate, & fairly decent water for training. But, the majority of homes had bars on the windows, not to prevent Mex infiltration but to keep the druggies out. Shoot one of the bastards & you can bet they belong to someone with political clout, it don't work everywhere, UB.

I laugh at the people, even on this forum who believe dope is victimless, they need to read the article a few times & substitute druggies for the lawless illegals.

40 years ago the cops were targeting those of us who worked coming into one of the local cities. Tickets weren't that expensive but the bump in insurance was. I called the head of the chamber in that city & told him I was going to lead the fight to stop shopping in the town if it wasn't stopped. Worked :o. Tickets from those who can pay are a lucrative form of budget enhancer for the overcompensated public employees of today. We will not take our country back until we get a real hardass elected, Reagan wasn't the answer though he is the Holy Grail for moderates in the party. I am cheering the Tea Party guys on as they are our only hope regardless of how radical most think them to be, in most cases they are not radical enough fiscally. Unfortunately it is the get along go along's who are elected :(.

UB, where can I get a bottle of that wine!!!!!!!

To answer that last question, just Google "Prairie Berry Wines." It will locate the winery, all it's products and how you can order directly from the brewery. It's an excellant table wine that retailers charge around $30 a bottle. I'm always amazed at that 5% rasberry among 95% rhubarb having a definite taste. BTW, Rush's rasberry tea is also an excellant drink. I've had both the regular and diet. Won't get anymore diet. Takes too much of the taste out, and it becomes more 'watery'. I'm looking forward to his Peach and blueberry flavors now. should know next week.

As to your 'real estate' search, where in Sodak were you looking? My daughter is a Real Estate pro, so if you get the urge to investigate the Black Hills, let me know and I'll put you in touch with her. I'm sure she could supply several brochures that might be of interest. Can't say the prices are of the 'fire' sale that is happening in places like Vegas, but properties are moving again in Rapid City vicinity...AND YOU'LL LOVE THE WEATHER...THE BANANA BELT, YA KNOW.

As an avid hunhter/fisherman as I once was, I'd be inclined to be in the Pierre area, however. Not the weather we have in the Rapid area, but centrally located to the outdoor activities. You can be pass shooting
geese in 5 minutes of Pierre. You could still be shooting northern greenies on the Oahe within 15 minutes of Pierre. For those wisenheimers that feed most of the night, and go out after sundown, and return befor shooting hours in the morning, you almost need a boat to set up on the lake, or east of Pierre on the Missouri.

Not attempting to sell you anything, just giving you some info. Last but not least, NO STATE INCOME TAX. And if you select West River, including Pierre and that 1804 to US 83 corridor, you'll be in the mostly conservative part of the state. The Aberdeen, Mitchell, Huron and east region, where Buzz lives, is a form of Minnesota west...lots of liberals. We get some Sx Flls RINOs like the gun control nut that ran against our current Governor and got shellacked in the primary. While we are considered and overall red state, we must always be vigilant for the corruption that seems to invade the reservations each voting season. There's never an end to the cast of libs, even in our state. But as the commercial with the Kia gerbels state in their tag line..."every day I'm shuffeling".:cool:

UB