PDA

View Full Version : A Little Help Here With Romney....

M&K's Retrievers
01-04-2012, 11:50 PM
Why would anyone support Romney who is endorsed by McCain when Romney couldn't beat McCain and McCain couldn't beat Obama?? :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Still looking elsewhere regards,

BonMallari
01-04-2012, 11:57 PM
as I mentioned in Marvin's thread on endorsements , I was not happy to see him march the RINO curmudgeon out here this morning

1tulip
01-05-2012, 09:49 PM
I don't know... but I'm going to Santorum's website and drop a few dollars on him.

Cody Covey
01-06-2012, 01:10 PM
I don't know... but I'm going to Santorum's website and drop a few dollars on him.

I could be wrong, and I am in no way saying you shouldn't donate to who you feel is best. I just don't think Santorum can win the nomination. He lost to Romney in a very conservative midwest caucus. He will be destroyed in the eastern states where he will then lose donations as he loses momentum....just my prediction anyway, like I said I could be wrong :)

Gerry Clinchy
01-06-2012, 03:39 PM
Okay .. let's analyze this.

Santorum's surge against Romney undercut Paul and Gingrich. Santorum has risen in the polls in NH and SC as a result of his showing in Iowa. If Santorum does the same in NH and SC, that could really mean that Romney will be the R candidate, whether any of us like it or not.

The polls say Romney is the only one who can beat Obama in the election.

OTOH, if Romney is just another RINO, what will we have gained?

Can Romney be a leader? Have not really heard anything about his tenure as MA governor that convinces me he can be.

I like some things about each candidate, but still undecided.

BonMallari
01-06-2012, 04:40 PM
Okay .. let's analyze this.

Santorum's surge against Romney undercut Paul and Gingrich. Santorum has risen in the polls in NH and SC as a result of his showing in Iowa. If Santorum does the same in NH and SC, that could really mean that Romney will be the R candidate, whether any of us like it or not.

The polls say Romney is the only one who can beat Obama in the election.

OTOH, if Romney is just another RINO, what will we have gained?

Can Romney be a leader? Have not really heard anything about his tenure as MA governor that convinces me he can be.

I like some things about each candidate, but still undecided.

I keep referring to something Gov. Mitch Daniels stated last year when he contemplated a WH run, basically it was a challenge to social conservatives to put their agenda on the back burner and help get someone elected that is fiscally conservative and put the social issues secondary..

As much as many on this board will accuse me of being a RINO, I think of myself as a Pragmatist...beating BHO is priority one, if we (as in R) can beat him, its almost a certainty that we can capture the Senate and retain the House...there are at least TWO SCOTUS appointments on the line in the next 4 years, that is the bonus kicker prize..

Romney is not my first choice, I was a Cain fan...when he got out, I went back and looked hard again at Perry,but he gained nothing ..heck I like a lot of what Huntsman has to offer....but in the big picture can either stand a snowballs chance in hades against BHO...NO

I wont fault anyone for voting for their ideological candidate, that is your right and you need to exercise that....but when the process is done if it leaves us with someone who cant win the general election, then we ALL are at fault

road kill
01-06-2012, 04:48 PM
We need the economy fixed.

More to the point, we need Obamacare overturned and open up drilling and get rid os some of the regulations choking our businesses.

Who is best suited to do that??

RK

BonMallari
01-06-2012, 05:04 PM
We need the economy fixed.

More to the point, we need Obamacare overturned and open up drilling and get rid os some of the regulations choking our businesses.

Who is best suited to do that??

RK

a businessman,a problem solver, a CEO..a real leader....we got enough politicians....

Gerry Clinchy
01-06-2012, 05:46 PM
Of course, everybody running has been a politician at least once before. Albeit, Romney for the shortest period.

Romney wasn't real good at getting concessions from the opposition as Governor. However, if the House & Senate were both R majorities, he might fare better as a POTUS? Has come off as wishy-washy compared to the other candidates throughout. Not dumb, but not very inspirational either.

One of the things demonstrated by Obama has been that lack of experience in how to bring the opposition into the fold has made for a very messy Presidency requiring "intimidation" of even his own party to push through his pet projects. Of course, he seems to have surrounded himself with staff that were better at strong-arm tactics than more conciliatory methods. That didn't help.

That same confrontational quality (as Obama) seems to have stifled the effectiveness of RP in his Congressional efforts, i.e. his inability to rally more support among his own colleagues for his policies. Not saying that his ideas were bad ones, but he wasn't effective in getting them accepted & promoted.

Santorum also has a similar air of "my way or the highway". Like Paul he has strong convictions, but can he win people over where that air has failed for Paul?

Newt, I can't deny, can come off as condescending. Would he be able to overcome that in dealing with Congress? He's got a quick and sharp tongue. That same quality got Obama in doo-doo early on. His broad-based knowledge of many issues could make him a valuable VP to someone less experienced in how DC works. I'm kind of surprised that Newt is at all a contender since he has several different pieces of baggage to carry.

I really think Perry & Huntsman are out of the picture. Purely perceptions: Huntsman seems like an only slightly different flavor of Romney; and Perry a kind of southern version of Santorum. So they can't really draw enough of a differentiation between themselves & the other two higher in the tiers. Huntsman does have strong foreign policy credentials. Perry was hurt by his state tuition for illegals, I think.

The way things are shaping up, I would have to agree that only Romney & Newt have a chance of coming close to Obama in the general election. And Romney has less personal baggage to overcome. After all, while at least some conservatives hold the MA health care law against him, a lot of other people might consider that in his favor.

BonMallari
01-06-2012, 06:13 PM
I dont see any of these candidates as being the capable of the # 2 VP slot..their Type A egos would not allow it

my picks for the VP slot...Gov. Haley (SC), Gov Daniels , Tim Pawlenty

Gerry Clinchy
01-06-2012, 09:44 PM
I dont see any of these candidates as being the capable of the # 2 VP slot..their Type A egos would not allow it

my picks for the VP slot...Gov. Haley (SC), Gov Daniels , Tim Pawlenty

Newt said some time back that he would consider a VP spot. That was around the time of some of he first candidate debates.

I think Santorum might, too, if it came to that for him. He's young enough to run 8 years from now.

Nobody thinking Rubio for a VP?

BonMallari
01-06-2012, 09:59 PM
Newt said some time back that he would consider a VP spot. That was around the time of some of he first candidate debates.

I think Santorum might, too, if it came to that for him. He's young enough to run 8 years from now.

Nobody thinking Rubio for a VP?

Rubio is way too smart too hitch his career to anyone currently running,heck the way he is going, he might be a #1 choice in four years, if the R's screw this one up

Gerry Clinchy
01-07-2012, 12:09 PM
Looking to the future, it would be an advantage for Rubio and/or Jindal to be a VP candidate. It would give them some credentials for learning the DC ropes.

We know that it did NOT serve Obama well to have so little experience in that (among other things). Then one might look to one or both of these two young, conservatives as being POTUS possibilities. Since Jindal has been rather staunch in wanting to finish his agenda in LA, it would not appear that he would be receptive right now.

While I don't want to make a case for career politicians, I do think that a POTUS has to get to know how to use the DC mentality to make an agenda "fly".

Nor_Cal_Angler
01-07-2012, 02:19 PM
Looking to the future, it would be an advantage for Rubio and/or Jindal to be a VP candidate. It would give them some credentials for learning the DC ropes.

We know that it did NOT serve Obama well to have so little experience in that (among other things). Then one might look to one or both of these two young, conservatives as being POTUS possibilities. Since Jindal has been rather staunch in wanting to finish his agenda in LA, it would not appear that he would be receptive right now.

While I don't want to make a case for career politicians, I do think that a POTUS has to get to know how to use the DC mentality to make an agenda "fly".

Agree and Disagree....

I do not want a future "President(s)" to have the "DC" experience prior to actually going to "DC"

Which is what is making it so hard for me to support Newt (but I feel that in this crop he is the best for the job)

I think that is what make's Gov's so appealing to people....they have the "DC" experience without having to spend time in "DC"

They have to figure out how to make the 3 levels of government work together or they fail before they ever get to "DC"

Jindal has that and in my book is doing a GREAT job.

Rubio does not have that and is a better fit for VP to gain that, but it can backfire and curb his current mindset which is his strongest asset.

In talking with my father (who sounds like he is leanng towards Romney, but he won't say even to his own son) he has really challenged me in my thought process as to why a CEO (Gov.) is best suited for the job.

I think that is why Romney is in part such a strong canidate with Repubs....partialy because his name has been out there for 5 years and partially because he is an ex-gov. I think that most of us have made our mind up that a Senator or Congressmen just does not have the "CEO" mindset as proven by this latest botch job of a President.

One of the actractive things in my book about NEWT is the fact that he may not have the "CEO" experience of a Gov. but he walks and talks the "CEO" mindset...which turns somepeople off about him, but I think it is his best strenght.

Jake

Uncle Bill
01-07-2012, 02:55 PM
Rubio is way too smart too hitch his career to anyone currently running,heck the way he is going, he might be a #1 choice in four years, if the R's screw this one up

How often does he need to say he's not interested???? Why the badgering???

Furthermore, "if the R's screw this one up", what makes you believe there will be anything to run for in 4 years?

UB

Gerry Clinchy
01-07-2012, 08:22 PM
Jake, you have a point about the experience of governors. Reagan was a governor, and hadn't been to Washington. But as I understand it, he got "suckered" by Congress. He agreed to tax increases in return for promised spending cuts, but Congress got the taxes & didn't deliver on the spending cuts. In fact, that's basically the reason that I would want to see spending cuts BEFORE any tax increases. Congress' most recent pattern has to spends all the $ it has ... and then spend more than it has.

Obama's biggest failure was the mindset he adopted immediately, "I won!" He gave the impression he had the intention of using the D control of both houses and the WH as a hammer. There was no sense there would be any conciliation. Talk of bipartisanship was just talk that rang with insincerity. It's almost amazing that with control of both houses, he still needed to strong-arm his agenda. It helps to know something about lions, if you have to walk into the lions' den.

1tulip
01-08-2012, 11:13 PM

Amen! And be as generous as you can.

mjh345
01-09-2012, 01:22 AM
Amen! And be as generous as you can.

Well 1tulip it is certainly nice to see that you are in complete agreement with yourself. Give till it hurts buddy

Gerry Clinchy
01-09-2012, 03:17 PM
On the light side: (from a friend)

I knew someone would find a name for our
Election process for 2012

Electile Dysfunction: the inability to become aroused over any of the choices for President put forth by either party in the 2012
election!!!!

BonMallari
01-09-2012, 03:39 PM
On the light side: (from a friend)

I knew someone would find a name for our
Election process for 2012

Electile Dysfunction: the inability to become aroused over any of the choices for President put forth by either party in the 2012
election!!!!

thats funny no matter who you are.....

JDogger
01-10-2012, 12:11 AM
election!!!!

I'm with Bon. By tomorrow it will most likely be someone's sig line. :)

JD