PDA

View Full Version : In terms of process how could you get rid of Big Government Departments

1tulip
01-05-2012, 09:46 PM
I know that a long time ago, Nixon got in trouble (I think it went to the courts) for sequestering funds. Congress passed some bill to spend a certain amount of money and Nixon thought it was wasteful, so he tried to hold on to it.

Fast forward to 2013: God willing, we will have the legislature and the White House. Several Candidates are talking about doing away with the departments of Education, Energy and ..... oops..... In any event, is it even possible for a president to do this?

The method I've thought could be used is to collapse departments into each other. In other words, put Education back into HHS. Then... put the buildings occupied by Dept of Ed. (and others) on the market. Sell them and all the office furnishings. Put the money back in the treasury, and start letting people go by natural attrition.

So my question(s) is/are: 1) Do you think it would be legal for a President to shut down these big departments? 2) How could it be done? 3) Which departments do you think should be closed?

BonMallari
01-05-2012, 10:37 PM
as much as every presidential candidate will profess to eliminating one governmental agency or another...it takes Congressional approval to do so because within each agency there are bureaucratic agencies that oversee that dept and its funding....to be honest its probably easier to try and put all the agencies under one umbrella , but no way in Hades will that happen, its also why we have so many czars because their current power is not yet clearly defined by Congress and they answer only to the Pres

But it all makes for great campaign rhetoric

Eric Johnson
01-06-2012, 12:38 PM
The story goes that one day there were several employees of the Dept of Agriculture found crying at their desks. Their supervisor approached them about their crying. Eventually one managed to say, "Our farmer died."

Eric

charly_t
01-06-2012, 01:50 PM
The story goes that one day there were several employees of the Dept of Agriculture found crying at their desks. Their supervisor approached them about their crying. Eventually one managed to say, "Our farmer died."

Eric

I love it !