PDA

View Full Version : A thought exercise

1tulip
01-08-2012, 10:21 PM
This is not about black helicopter conspiracy theories. It's not even about President Obama. OK?

There is some chatter on some blogs (my husband reads them not me so I can't tell you which ones...) to the effect that if things looked bad for the incumbent, that a "crisis" would be manufactured and elections canceled. After that, of course, habeas corpus would be suspended and dissidents silenced, maybe put in some Guantanamo equivalent.

Seriously, I am not wearing my tin foil hat. I don't think this will happen. But it made me wonder how the nation would react if it did, i.e., I'm treating this as a thought exercise.

If some administration decided to play Hugo Chavez or Fidel... how would Americans react?

Would the members of the military cooperate if they were ordered to "secure" a particularly resistant region of the country? Or would National Guard units organize under the direction of their senior officers?

My husband and I have weapons, but at the end of the day... none of us have enough, if it came to actually using them to protect our freedom. (See "Branch Davidians")

What would our (Nevada) governor do? Would he immediately call a session of our legislature and pull our state out of the Union? (Umm, I'n not sure how we'd defend Las Vegas. That would be interesting.)

Would the centralized government anticipate organized resistance and arrest governors who they knew would be non-compliant?

How many old fogey veterans (myself included) would stand by their oaths to support and defend the Constitution against all enemies foreign and domestic? And even if we all became "oath keepers" what on earth could we do?

Not inviting any critique of any party or politician. Honest. Not what I'm interested in. I'm simply wondering what you think the American people would do, and/or could do if these circumstances arose. Sort of like, if you were writing a thriller, how would you have the population responding?

BonMallari
01-08-2012, 11:07 PM
First of all, as much as states all like to claim they can leave the Union,nothing could be further from the truth, states dont have their own army, and the feds could flex their might and shut the state down within hours if not minutes...

As for creating a crisis to avert elections, describes the beginning of the end of this nation as we know it, the American public would eventually have all the conspirators strung up from the highest gallows...the only thing that would temporarily curtail elections would be nuclear war or armageddon

1tulip
01-08-2012, 11:12 PM
Agreed. Even a Civil War didn't stop the election of 1864.

You say the people would have the conspirators hanging from lamp posts. That would be incredibly satisfying, but how would they/we be able to do that?

BonMallari
01-08-2012, 11:18 PM
Agreed. Even a Civil War didn't stop the election of 1864.

You say the people would have the conspirators hanging from lamp posts. That would be incredibly satisfying, but how would they/we be able to do that?

I was being sarcastic....hanging would be too nice...prefer military firing squad :rolleyes:

mjh345
01-09-2012, 01:28 AM
This is not about black helicopter conspiracy theories. It's not even about President Obama. OK?

There is some chatter on some blogs (my husband reads them not me so I can't tell you which ones...) to the effect that if things looked bad for the incumbent, that a "crisis" would be manufactured and elections canceled. After that, of course, habeas corpus would be suspended and dissidents silenced, maybe put in some Guantanamo equivalent.

Seriously, I am not wearing my tin foil hat. I don't think this will happen. But it made me wonder how the nation would react if it did, i.e., I'm treating this as a thought exercise.

If some administration decided to play Hugo Chavez or Fidel... how would Americans react?

Would the members of the military cooperate if they were ordered to "secure" a particularly resistant region of the country? Or would National Guard units organize under the direction of their senior officers?

My husband and I have weapons, but at the end of the day... none of us have enough, if it came to actually using them to protect our freedom. (See "Branch Davidians")

What would our (Nevada) governor do? Would he immediately call a session of our legislature and pull our state out of the Union? (Umm, I'n not sure how we'd defend Las Vegas. That would be interesting.)

Would the centralized government anticipate organized resistance and arrest governors who they knew would be non-compliant?

How many old fogey veterans (myself included) would stand by their oaths to support and defend the Constitution against all enemies foreign and domestic? And even if we all became "oath keepers" what on earth could we do?

Not inviting any critique of any party or politician. Honest. Not what I'm interested in. I'm simply wondering what you think the American people would do, and/or could do if these circumstances arose. Sort of like, if you were writing a thriller, how would you have the population responding?

Step away from the box of wine 1tulip

1tulip
01-11-2012, 12:16 AM

Box wine? BOX wine! Hey, I've been drinking outside the box for a long time now.

Uncle Bill
01-11-2012, 09:15 AM
Box wine? BOX wine! Hey, I've been drinking outside the box for a long time now.

Good for you...keep popping those corks!;-)

UB

road kill
01-11-2012, 09:37 AM

Reminds me of an old W.C. Fields bit.

His wife is raggin' him about all the cheap wine he drinks.
He responds with "cheap?? it's not cheap, it costs $1.50 a gallon!!!"

RK