PDA

View Full Version : Newt OWNING The Debate

Jacob Hawkes
01-16-2012, 08:59 PM
This isn't remotely close. He's putting everybody in their place. Of the choices for President, I'll take Newt by a mile.

Quackwacker
01-16-2012, 09:02 PM
This isn't remotely close. He's putting everybody in their place. Of the choices for President, I'll take Newt by a mile.

I agree 100%

BonMallari
01-16-2012, 09:03 PM
Juan Williams is playing the role this evening of "race baiter"...the crowd is clearly not amused by the direction of the questions..tensions are high

Coveyrise64
01-16-2012, 09:13 PM
Is Ron Paul for real........? Aside from his foreign policy that squeaky whine is enough for me to rule him out.

Coveyrise64

ARay11
01-16-2012, 09:23 PM
Where can I watch this?

Quackwacker
01-16-2012, 09:24 PM
Where can I watch this?

fox news ;)

BonMallari
01-16-2012, 09:50 PM
Newt is clearly hacked off, he is lecturing and losing his cool...the ugly Newt is rearing its head...Ron Paul looks like he is constipated or ready to pass a kidney stone..

in many ways this is THE BEST debate of all of them, but it is also the worst because Fox has lost control of the debate, and its become the media trying to play "gotcha" with the candidates...

Romney has shown a toughness that I didnt think he had, Perry also has shown well but may be too little too late

bbmclain
01-16-2012, 09:57 PM
Ron Paul looks like he is constipated or ready to pass a kidney stone..

And Paul looks old as dirt!!!!

Coveyrise64
01-16-2012, 11:00 PM
I'm kinda glad one of them is hacked off, this is a pretty sorry situation we're in.

Newt is clearly hacked off, he is lecturing and losing his cool...the ugly Newt is rearing its head...Ron Paul looks like he is constipated or ready to pass a kidney stone..

in many ways this is THE BEST debate of all of them, but it is also the worst because Fox has lost control of the debate, and its become the media trying to play "gotcha" with the candidates...

Romney has shown a toughness that I didnt think he had, Perry also has shown well but may be too little too late

Franco
01-17-2012, 06:26 AM
Funny how we can all watch the same debate and walk away with different opinions.

I thought that Newt was war mongering and catering to a S Carolina audience that was liking it. Newt's policy would clearly lead us into a war with Iran. With Pakistan and now Turkey as strong Iranian allies, Newt doesn't know what he would be getting us into. RP hit the nail on the head when he suggested we missed a great opportunity for change in Iran two years ago when the people of Iran were ready for a revolt which we did not back. It makes me wonder just how much of Newt's Super Pac money is coming from defense contrators!

RP did a great job of explaining the difference between military expenditures and Defense expenditures. He also pointed out that A'stan was largely responsible for the fall of the USSR and that our policy in A'stan will break us here financially as well.

RP receives more in cash donations from military enlisted personel than all the other candidates combined!!!

P S

Newt will probably win the heavy "lets go to war" vote in SC but, across the country it is looking like this...

A new poll from CNN/ORC International shows both Mitt Romney and Ron Paul tied with President Obama in potential general election matchups. The survey showed that 48 percent of voters would support Romney and 47 percent would support Obama in one hypothetical pairing, while 48 percent would vote for Obama and 46 percent would vote for Paul in another. Both margins are well within the poll's sampling error.

road kill
01-17-2012, 07:13 AM
Funny how we can all watch the same debate and walk away with different opinions.

I thought that Newt was war mongering and catering to a S Carolina audience that was liking it. Newt's policy would clearly lead us into a war with Iran. With Pakistan and now Turkey as strong Iranian allies, Newt doesn't know what he would be getting us into. RP hit the nail on the head when he suggested we missed a great opportunity for change in Iran two years ago when the people of Iran were ready for a revolt which we did not back. It makes me wonder just how much of Newt's Super Pac money is coming from defense contrators!

RP did a great job of explaining the difference between military expenditures and Defense expenditures. He also pointed out that A'stan was largely responsible for the fall of the USSR and that our policy in A'stan will break us here financially as well.

RP receives more in cash donations from military enlisted personel than all the other candidates combined!!!

P S

Newt will probably win the heavy "lets go to war" vote in SC but, across the country it is looking like this...

A new poll from CNN/ORC International shows both Mitt Romney and Ron Paul tied with President Obama in potential general election matchups. The survey showed that 48 percent of voters would support Romney and 47 percent would support Obama in one hypothetical pairing, while 48 percent would vote for Obama and 46 percent would vote for Paul in another. Both margins are well within the poll's sampling error.

RP always seems the expert at what we "should have done."

What is his plan on Iran going forward?

RK

Ken Bora
01-17-2012, 08:26 AM

that is the nature of our election processes.
I also thought it was the best debate.
The after the debate interview with Hannity talking to Juan was also good.
I personally thought Sanatorium came out on top.

Franco
01-17-2012, 08:54 AM
RP always seems the expert at what we "should have done."

What is his plan on Iran going forward?

RK

He supports the sanctions which seem to be working.

Our policy has grown Islamic Terrorism, so basically he wants to reverse our policy.

Our policy is why Turkey is becoming an Islamic Republic. The countries in the midddle east see our build up in the region as a threat.

Israel has over 300 nuclear weapons and had demonstrated their abilty to take care of themselves. Just like they took out one of the key Iranian nuclear scientist last week with that car bomb.

It is NOT hindsight that RP speaks from! His stance on the subject has long been documented. There is a reason why he gets by far the most support from enlisted military personel.

Quackwacker
01-17-2012, 09:11 AM
yeah and RP wants our tax rate to be 0% ...................that makes no sense.

His ideas are just too far fetched. ( no pun intended for this site) He has to come up with ideas that will actually work

Franco
01-17-2012, 09:29 AM
yeah and RP wants our tax rate to be 0% ...................that makes no sense.

His ideas are just too far fetched. ( no pun intended for this site) He has to come up with ideas that will actually work

There was no Fed Income Tax prior to 1913. If we as a country lived within our means, we could return to zero Income Tax!

That means living within The Constitution! I know, too far fetched for most to understand today. Government spending is out of control and loaded with waste and all both political parties know how to do is spend, spend and spend!.

HPL
01-17-2012, 10:39 AM
Although I voted for RP in the last election, I have to say that I would rather not have to vote for him this time. He rambles too much and seems to me to possibly be on the edge of age related mental decline. I am just no longer impressed with his delivery. Some of his ideas are appealing, but he just doesn't seem to me to be the man he was four years ago. I would really like to: 1. run someone that is electable, and 2. run someone capable of finishing not only one, but two terms. I just don't think that RP fills that bill.

On another note, and possibly should be a separate thread, I wonder why everyone seems to feel that the Israelis are the only ones who would like to see the Iranian nuclear program shut down. People seem to forget that the Iranians are NOT Arabs. They are Persians and glad to point that out. I can't believe that the Saudis would be that happy to have a nuclear Iran in their neighborhood just to name one other possible source of resistance. Could the Israelis simply be a red herring/obvious scapegoat?

Gerry Clinchy
01-17-2012, 02:57 PM
Although I voted for RP in the last election, I have to say that I would rather not have to vote for him this time. He rambles too much and seems to me to possibly be on the edge of age related mental decline. I am just no longer impressed with his delivery.

That is my feeling, as well, HPL. I like his ideas, respect his integrity, but am not sure his boat didn't sail without him.

Someone speculated that he would choose Rand, his son, as his VP. This would assuage these reservations. Ron could cede his Presidential duties to the VP at any time he felt incapable of continuing, yet be sure that his own ideas would continue with his son as the one to take the reins.

On another note, and possibly should be a separate thread, I wonder why everyone seems to feel that the Israelis are the only ones who would like to see the Iranian nuclear program shut down.

You are insightful on this. Iran's neighbors aren't taking much initiative in the hopes, I think, that others will do the dirty work for them. If they diss Iran they fear that if Iran ends up with the upper hand, they will be at a disadvantage ... and they sure are the most vulnerable to Iran's ire due to geography. They'd rather let Israel or the US do the deeds, and smile after they can be sure that Iran is no longer a threat to them. If, just by chance, Iran comes out on top, they'll still be "friends". Yeah, right. They also feared Sadam, and let us take care of that for them. Without the strong man, Sadam, the threat from Iraq was neutralized for them.

Could the Israelis simply be a red herring/obvious scapegoat?

Interesting speculation. Not so far-fetched (oops, I did it, too)

RP hit the nail on the head when he suggested we missed a great opportunity for change in Iran two years ago when the people of Iran were ready for a revolt which we did not back.

I sort of wondered why our govt did not give more "moral support" to the protests in Iran when they occurred. Maybe Obama was trying to be nicey-nicey, since he said he would speak to our enemies without preconditions?

When that didn't work out so well, he must have decided we should do more in Egypt and Libya ... duh? Trial and error? Seems too much like not having a clear view of objectives. But we haven't done nearly as much with the situation in Syria as we did in Egypt and Libya. Another, duh?

If I were a leader of a mid-east country, I'd be scratching my head wondering what to expect from the US; and wouldn't be very quick to think being a friend of the US would have a predictable outcome.

However, if RP thinks we should have done more in supporting Iran's protesters, isn't that also counter to his own principles in letting other countries solve their own civil wars? His approach, from what I can see so far, would be to keep our noses out of ALL those situations in the mid-east.

Haven't watched last night's debates yet. I watched the Huckabee "Forum" ... but not many of the participants answered the voters' questions directly. They fell back to reciting the "boiler plate". When Huckabee later questioned the people who posed the questions, that was their feeling as well in most cases.

1tulip
01-17-2012, 03:34 PM
Our President did not come to the moral aid of the protestors in Iran for the same reason he says zip about the holocaust of Coptic Christians in Egypt. He's perfectly OK with militant islamists taking over Turkey for the same reason he restored diplomatic relations with Bashar Assad in Syria.

He's pretty much OK with strong Islamic dictators and the Muslim Brotherhood. He's ambivalent about Republican, representative government. (He's ruling by executive order and expanding the unelected bureaucratic state.)

I think Ron Paul's time has come and gone (he's 76 yrs old). Some of his ideas have become mainstream and he should get credit for moving the conversation along. He's irresponsible on foreign affairs and still believes in "fortress America."

BUT... I'd happily vote for the man if he was running against Obama. Will Ron Paul's people do the same if their man doesn't get the nomination. We will need every vote possible. Nothing else matters. Obama must go.

HPL
01-17-2012, 04:01 PM
[QUOTE=Franco;907367]Fk

If this is an accurate statement, I would not consider it a ringing endorsement. The enlisted ranks, although to be lauded for their service, are composed of folks who ended their formal education with highschool and are still mostly very young (late teens and early twentys). That does not describe the type of education or experience that would make me look to them for advice on who is best suited to run the country.

BonMallari
01-17-2012, 04:17 PM
the RP zealots are a lot like those ideologues that followed campaigns like Gerry Brown and Gene McCarthy...they are loyal to a fault, and readily regurgitate the mantra of their hero, but they are also a minority in numbers and demographics and in reality have no chance of winning but you wont convince them of that...Have no idea what they will do when RP doesnt get the nomination,since RP has never stated that he would support the party nominee..RP spouts Libertarian but he needs the Republican Party in order to further his agenda...so does his son..if he and his son play it out correctly Rand could catapult to being a major player in the party,if they go off the reservation Rand will be looked at as his dad but forty years younger

road kill
01-17-2012, 07:37 PM
I used to respect Juan Williams.
His performance was dissapointing.

RK

Gerry Clinchy
01-17-2012, 11:11 PM
Just watched the debate online. The candidates and the audience were pretty feisty.

Actually got some factual stuff in this one about how candidates' plans differed on privatization of SS.

I think it's okay for a candidate to admit that they were wrong about some vote or opinion that happened in the past. I'd rather hear them admit that than try and dodge the issue.

RP was kind of incoherent in trying to refute a statement he had made in an interview.