PDA

View Full Version : Take A Hike... GDG

ARay11
01-18-2012, 02:51 PM
Tired of being outta shape, a good friend of mine and I made the decision to start taking a walk every other day. Here in Oklahoma, most all rural roads are one mile in length, meaning you can go south 1 mi, turn west 1 mi., back north 1mi, turn east 1 mi, and back south again to our starting point...effetively, from my driveway, walk a 4 mile square.
Sunday's walk was awesome... great hills to conquer in the first mile, no wild dogs, no rabid skunks...it was great.

Tuesday's walk was very different....same roads, different outcome...

During the second mile, we were met by an oncoming vehicle (very strange as we are in an extremely rural area). The drunken idiot stopped to ask.."Whattsshhy'alll doin??" We just kept walking. Third mile, yet another drunken fool asking "Heyyy, isshy'all cold?". We gave up, called for my son to come and get us. At least we got in 3 miles.

To my point:
I am certain it was my tax dollars hard at work that put the gas in those trucks and sent the men money for beer.

I try VERY hard to "turn the other cheek" and be thankful that I have the physical and mental ability to work, play, and yes, take a hike. Thankful that I was raised right, given a work ethic, and taught to take on responsibility. Thankful that I make enough money to complain about my taxes.

Right now, in the election climate, we talk a great deal about social security, the banking industry, healthcare reform, welfare, military spending, the deficit, and which talking head will run the country next.

It's time we find a way to educate the next generation. Pass along our values not only to our own children, but to others as well. How can we teach a generation? What can be done differently? If nothing is done, my kiddos will be far out-numbered by those who are dumb, lazy, and intoxicated. Who can get thru to these impressionable young?
Their Dads are... they're out driving dirt roads getting drunk on my dime.
Who will help offset that horrible example of an adult? and how??

Coveyrise64
01-18-2012, 03:31 PM
After your experience and what happened in Weleetka I wouldn't walk a rural road in any area unless I was armed. Just saying.......!

Tired of being outta shape, a good friend of mine and I made the decision to start taking a walk every other day. Here in Oklahoma, most all rural roads are one mile in length, meaning you can go south 1 mi, turn west 1 mi., back north 1mi, turn east 1 mi, and back south again to our starting point...effetively, from my driveway, walk a 4 mile square.
Sunday's walk was awesome... great hills to conquer in the first mile, no wild dogs, no rabid skunks...it was great.

Tuesday's walk was very different....same roads, different outcome...

During the second mile, we were met by an oncoming vehicle (very strange as we are in an extremely rural area). The drunken idiot stopped to ask.."Whattsshhy'alll doin??" We just kept walking. Third mile, yet another drunken fool asking "Heyyy, isshy'all cold?". We gave up, called for my son to come and get us. At least we got in 3 miles.

To my point:
I am certain it was my tax dollars hard at work that put the gas in those trucks and sent the men money for beer.

I try VERY hard to "turn the other cheek" and be thankful that I have the physical and mental ability to work, play, and yes, take a hike. Thankful that I was raised right, given a work ethic, and taught to take on responsibility. Thankful that I make enough money to complain about my taxes.

Right now, in the election climate, we talk a great deal about social security, the banking industry, healthcare reform, welfare, military spending, the deficit, and which talking head will run the country next.

It's time we find a way to educate the next generation. Pass along our values not only to our own children, but to others as well. How can we teach a generation? What can be done differently? If nothing is done, my kiddos will be far out-numbered by those who are dumb, lazy, and intoxicated. Who can get thru to these impressionable young?
Their Dads are... they're out driving dirt roads getting drunk on my dime.
Who will help offset that horrible example of an adult? and how??

BonMallari
01-18-2012, 03:40 PM
After your experience and what happened in Weleetka I wouldn't walk a rural road in any area unless I was armed. Just saying.......!

sadly you are right...and that applies to many rural areas in many states

ARay11
01-18-2012, 03:42 PM

The Weleetka shootings were a tragedy. The man said (through his drug induced hysteria) he saw the kids as "monsters trying to get him"

And we dont walk unarmed.

charly_t
01-18-2012, 10:01 PM
The Weleetka shootings were a tragedy. The man said (through his drug induced hysteria) he saw the kids as "monsters trying to get him"

And we dont walk unarmed.

Ditto to walking armed. Two teens in little white car are driving toward me on one of my walks. A boy and a girl. The girl is driving and when they get close enough for me to see them clearly the boy grabs the steering wheel and steers the car toward me. I can tell you that it scared that poor girl to death and I wasn't happy about it either. She was quick though and got the car back under control. I did not know either of them. I am not young and I don't look young and makes me think that the young don't really like us old people ! I don't walk that road anymore. I do my walking in our yard anymore. I would like to see something different at times but I figure this is much safer.