PDA

View Full Version : Is there any power the POTUS can not claim

cotts135
02-02-2012, 06:41 PM
The ACLU has filed suit against numerous agencies of the Obama administration including Defense, Justice and the CIA for their refusal to disclose information related to the targeting and killing of US Citizens. They sought to find out only the legal and factional rational for these killings. Here is the response

"The office of legal council neither confirms or denies the existence of the documents described in your request. We cannot do so because the very fact of the existence or non existence of such documents is itself classified,protected from disclosure by statue and privledge"

Now I know some of you despise the ACLU but I think what there requesting is something we all should be interested in.
Glenn Greenwald asks a very compelling question: " what more tyrannical power is there than for a government to target its own citizens for death — in total secrecy and with no checks — and then insist on the right to do so without even having to explain its legal and factual rationale for what it is doing?"

Just asking

Buzz
02-02-2012, 07:30 PM
I quoted this about the "war on terror" when Bush was president, and I'll do it again now while Obama is in office.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Benjamin Franklin

Down East Labs 217
02-04-2012, 08:35 AM
The ACLU has filed suit against numerous agencies of the Obama administration including Defense, Justice and the CIA for their refusal to disclose information related to the targeting and killing of US Citizens. They sought to find out only the legal and factional rational for these killings. Here is the response

"The office of legal council neither confirms or denies the existence of the documents described in your request. We cannot do so because the very fact of the existence or non existence of such documents is itself classified,protected from disclosure by statue and privledge"

Now I know some of you despise the ACLU but I think what there requesting is something we all should be interested in.
Glenn Greenwald asks a very compelling question: " what more tyrannical power is there than for a government to target its own citizens for death in total secrecy and with no checks and then insist on the right to do so without even having to explain its legal and factual rationale for what it is doing?"

Just asking

Any American who is killed while serving the enemy is in its own right cause for said American to be killed. By serving the enemy he gave up his rights as an American citizen.

We as citizens do not and should not know everything our country does to keep us safe. To do so would jeopardize the intelligence networks ability to gather the information to stop attacks on our nation. We live in a new world where warfare is nothing like it use to be. New warfare, new ways to stop the crazy's of the world.

The ACLU is by far the worst, most liberal organization in the US. They have no useful purpose and should be disbanded. That is my opinion and my opinion only.

Richard

Buzz
02-04-2012, 12:37 PM
So much for the constitution.

I guess all this talk about "intent of the founders" is nothing but lip service.

Eric Johnson
02-04-2012, 03:18 PM

That's been the Federal gov'ts policy on FOIA actions for something like 30 years. There's been a recent action to place this into a regulation but it's always been the policy.

Eric

Hew
02-05-2012, 07:22 AM
So much for the constitution.

I guess all this talk about "intent of the founders" is nothing but lip service.
LOL. This from a Krugmanite/Keynesian. Really?

Buzz
02-05-2012, 07:40 AM
LOL. This from a Krugmanite/Keynesian. Really?

Yup, really! :)