PDA

View Full Version : Last Weeks Jobs Report

menmon
02-06-2012, 11:13 AM
At the end of the day, we are all going to vote based on our pocket book.

So here is some food for thought, as the number of unemployeed continues to decline, American's are going to not want to change Presidents.

Now as the stockmarket rallies between now and the election, people are not going to want to change Presidents.

M&K's Retrievers
02-06-2012, 11:23 AM
Liars figure and figures lie.

road kill
02-06-2012, 11:35 AM
At the end of the day, we are all going to vote based on our pocket book.

So here is some food for thought, as the number of unemployeed continues to decline, American's are going to not want to change Presidents.

Now as the stockmarket rallies between now and the election, people are not going to want to change Presidents.

Any comment on the enormous numbers of people who fell off the unemployment ranks??

Standing by.........

RK

HPL
02-06-2012, 11:40 AM
I don't generally vote by what I think will help my pocket book, but by for who I feel best represents the America I wish to see. This is frequently not in my own best economic interest. (I generally vote Rep or Libertarian, and will NOT be voting for the current pres. even if every person in the US who wants a job is working and the DOW hits 15,000)

road kill
02-06-2012, 11:41 AM
I don't generally vote by what I think will help my pocket book, but by for who I feel best represents the America I wish to see. This is frequently not in my own best economic interest. (I generally vote Rep or Libertarian, and will NOT be voting for the current pres. even if every person in the US who wants a job is working and the DOW hits 15,000)

X2

To paraphrase Michelle Obama, "I have never been more ashamed to be an American."
And I was around in the Carter debacle.

RK

2tall
02-06-2012, 11:45 AM
Stan, I can only comment for myself, but I do know a lot of folks in the same or similar situations. I have been gainfully employed now for about 2 months. I am currently working about 50 hours a week and making about one quarter of what I earned before the crash. I can not afford to buy a home, definitely not much of a "consumer" of anything these days, I must carefully maintain my old vehicle so that I can get another 175,000 miles on it, I dare not get sick or injured as I can not afford any health insurance, and oh yeah, I will be lucky to get 15 hours a week once the ski season is over. So yep, I am off the "unemployed" rolls, but I do not see how I or the economy have been positively affected by that fact.

menmon
02-06-2012, 11:50 AM
Any comment on the enormous numbers of people who fell off the unemployment ranks??

Standing by.........

RK

Some fell off and some got on.

Just wait until Obama is saying that we have a lot more to do, but without the republican's help we managed to get unemployment down to 7%. Now you can reelect me to 4 more years and I'll keeping fighting the fight for you, or you can vote for the crowd that put us in deepest recession in 3 generations. And by the way I'm a Christian and I believe that Jesus died for us.

I think Obama need to run and run that Clint Eastwood comercial, too. Because he can take full credit for that and remind Americans how the republicans wanted to turn their back on Amercian workers.

Hooverism does not work in a recession.

Good luck in November;-)

road kill
02-06-2012, 11:53 AM

Just wait until Obama is saying that we have a lot more to do, but without the republican's help we managed to get unemployment down to 7%. Now you can reelect me to 4 more years and I'll keeping fighting the fight for you, or you can vote for the crowd that put us in deepest recession in 3 generations. And by the way I'm a Christian and I believe that Jesus died for us.

I think Obama need to run and run that Clint Eastwood comercial, too. Because he can take full credit for that and remind Americans how the republicans wanted to turn their back on Amercian workers.

Good luck in November;-)

I don't think luck will work for you this time, but you can "HOPE!!!"

RK

menmon
02-06-2012, 12:07 PM
I don't think luck will work for you this time, but you can "HOPE!!!"

RK

Just like the Giants vs Patriots...I picked the Giants and I pick Obama! So soon it will be time to rumble....I hope you are ready to ride that Romney rollercoaster...he is so weak against Obama, and go ahead and keep pretending he is just reading a telecomter;-)

M&K's Retrievers
02-06-2012, 12:10 PM

According to an article in the Wash Post today a 1.2 million net loss in the work force. They are there, just no longer counted. I can't help but wonder what your attitude would be should you be unfortunate enough to join them.

Matt McKenzie
02-06-2012, 12:14 PM

Good luck in November;-)

That's the problem with our electorate. They see that Clint Eastwood commercial for Dodge and don't think about the 1.3 billion of our tax dollars that we won't get back, they don't think about the condition that Detroit is really in (and why), they don't think to question it at all. So you are probably right. Many, if not most, of our fellow citizens will eat that BS sandwich and ask for seconds.

Jim Danis
02-06-2012, 12:27 PM
According to the CBO report later that same day the actual unemployment rate is 10% and when counting the underemployed it is 16.7%

Marvin S
02-06-2012, 12:28 PM
I picked the Giants and I pick Obama! pretending ;-)

Major Difference - I also picked the Giants as I did the previous SB for a new appliance for the wife :) - The Giants had & have a game plan, your idol has nothing :-P.

menmon
02-06-2012, 12:28 PM
That's the problem with our electorate. They see that Clint Eastwood commercial for Dodge and don't think about the 1.3 billion of our tax dollars that we won't get back, they don't think about the condition that Detroit is really in (and why), they don't think to question it at all. So you are probably right. Many, if not most, of our fellow citizens will eat that BS sandwich and ask for seconds.

That is wrong...that have paid back most of that and the US owns equity that it will eventially sell. This was a big success:-P

Matt McKenzie
02-06-2012, 12:31 PM
That is wrong...that have paid back most of that and the US owns equity that it will eventially sell. This was a big success:-P

please cite your source

road kill
02-06-2012, 12:31 PM

Our definitions of success evidently differ.

RK

duckheads
02-06-2012, 01:00 PM

Not even close. The government stills owns a third of the company and the stock will have to get up in to the 50"s for the government to be able to sell the stock to recoup the tax payers money. The stock is what somewhere in the 30's now. Stop drinking the cool aid and wake up. This deal is about as successful and the Chevy Volt!!

LokiMeister
02-06-2012, 01:24 PM
When it comes to this coming presidential election, the economy will be doing better and the Republicans don't have anyone that could unseat Obama in a bad year. What I am saying is that get ready for four more years of Obama's bull crap.

scott spalding
02-06-2012, 01:50 PM
Major Difference - I also picked the Giants as I did the previous SB for a new appliance for the wife :) - The Giants had & have a game plan, your idol has nothing :-P.

Would you agree that it should be a simple task to out him then?

menmon
02-06-2012, 02:59 PM

Not my idol but your President for 4 more years!

Jacob Hawkes
02-07-2012, 12:24 AM

"Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so."

Matt McKenzie
02-07-2012, 07:27 AM
please cite your source

I didn't think you could. Oh well.

menmon
02-07-2012, 09:57 AM
"Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so."

So why don't you make your source their SEC filings. They are all on their website or you can go to the Securities Exchange Commisions website and find them there. Then call me a liar again and back it up;-)

menmon
02-07-2012, 10:02 AM
Not even close. The government stills owns a third of the company and the stock will have to get up in to the 50"s for the government to be able to sell the stock to recoup the tax payers money. The stock is what somewhere in the 30's now. Stop drinking the cool aid and wake up. This deal is about as successful and the Chevy Volt!!

Give it time, GM's stock will go to $50, especially as americans go back to work and buy more cars. Obama's mortage plan will help speed that up as folks get some relief on their home mortages.

I know you want him to fail, no matter how bad it is for your neighbor:rolleyes:

road kill
02-07-2012, 10:14 AM
Give it time, GM's stock will go to $50, especially as americans go back to work and buy more cars. Obama's mortage plan will help speed that up as folks get some relief on their home mortages.

I know you want him to fail, no matter how bad it is for your neighbor:rolleyes:
Conversely, I know you want him to succeed, no matter how bad it is for your neighbor.

RK

Gerry Clinchy
02-07-2012, 11:34 AM

Don't count on that. There will be a lot more foreclosures & short sales hitting the market ... they are in limbo right now.

Have a client hoping now for a short sale. Haven't paid their mortgage in over 6 months. Otherwise it will become a foreclosure.

In theory, foreclosure should have been started after 60 days of no mortgage payments, but that still hasn't happened.

This couple had been approved for a modification, but when it came through the payments were still much like the payments they had before! It really gave them no benefit.

Basically, the govt put the foreclosures on "hold", but the dam will burst at some point.

This couple has already moved out of the house. The same is true for many others. This housing inventory will be less attractive (perhaps even damaged or vandalized) before it gets sold, so the selling prices will be lower.

My take on it is that the govt was hoping for the jobs to recover, which would then solve the housing issue. The measures that were put in place were "temporary" fixes based on that hope.

Uncle Bill
02-07-2012, 12:33 PM

Good luck in November;-)

I have nothing to post here. Just wanted to get it quoted, so it can't be erased in November. Hope you are REAL hungry Sambo. Eating your words will taste a lot more bitter than your usual IHOP fare.:rolleyes:

UB

Uncle Bill
02-07-2012, 12:51 PM

Obama buying votes...so what's new. Nothings new here, including your inability to understand what country you live in...America. And every time you ignorantly laugh at your shortcomings, such as blaming your lack of spelling skills, many of us just realize what a fool you really are.

What you fail to understand is conservatives don't have a problem with Obama...we have a problem with fools like you.

The danger to America is not Barack Obama, but the citizenry capable of entrusting a man like him with the presidency.
It will be easier to limit and undo the follies of an Obama presidency, than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to an electorate willing to have such a man for their president.
The problem is much deeper and far more serious than Mr. Obama, who is a mere symptom of what ails us.
Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince.
The republic can survive a Barack Obama. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those that made him their President.

You may indeed succeed in making this nation into a small a 'america', and if you do, it won't take your crowd long before it turns into a small g greece.

UB

duckheads
02-07-2012, 01:41 PM

As GM's stock goes up, if it ever does, then the UAW will want more and more and we the taxpayers will never get our money back. Not sure what you smoke or take on a daily basis to come to the conclusions you come to but you should at least cut back because it is not good!

I grew up in a GM town that at one point had 30,000 workers now there is one to look over the vacant properties. I have only owned one vehicle that was not a GM and have 4 GMC's right now, 2 pick ups and two vans. I will never buy another new GM vehicle!

Like Stan said "I know you want him to succeed, no matter how bad it is for your neighbor".

Julie R.
02-07-2012, 01:55 PM

Just wait until Obama is saying that we have a lot more to do, but without the republican's help we managed to get unemployment down to 7%.

Good luck in November;-)

I don't know where you are getting that figure of 7 percent unless it's from the Hopium you've been smoking. Divide all that stimlas money by number of people who got jobs during his admin; those were some pretty pricey jobs. A shame there's no way to count the millions of illegals (democrat voters) streaming across the borders with their hands out and add them to the unemployment statistics.

Jason Glavich
02-07-2012, 03:10 PM

Fix mortgages? I know people who have went through this, they reduced their payment by 50 a month and now have a massive baloon payment at the end. It did nothing to help them with homes that are worth 1/5 of their value, or to help them make their payments.

Yup they help with paying for everything. How bout the payroll tax cut
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505263_162-57371781/home-buyers-left-holding-bag-for-payroll-tax-cut/

"It's actually built into this [interest] rate. You would never see the fee as a cost to you,"

"Your pocketbook is being raided in order to pay for a tax policy issue decided at the last minute by probably people who didn't understand fully what they were legislating on."

One congressman, Florida Republican Allen West, said he tried to blow the whistle on the whole thing before Christmas.

"I read the legislation and raised the flag. Unfortunately nobody paid attention to what I was saying at the time," he said, calling the fee a backdoor tax increase on the middle class

An Obama administration official defended the mortgage fee, calling it "modest." She said it's "unlikely to negatively affect borrowers" because increases "will be phased in over the next two years." And it will "help bring private capital back into the mortgage market, which [is] good for borrowers over the long term."

Yup all the stuff passed is for the greater good of everyone......:confused:

Nor_Cal_Angler
02-07-2012, 03:50 PM

How many people do YOU know buying GM vehicles versus Other brands???

There are more people PISSED off at the bailout then there are, that are glad to see it in place...the result is PEOPLE are TAKING IT OUT ON GM, and NOT purchasing their vehicles.

I know I will NEVER purchase another GM vehicle...it has to do with the bail out and the fact they took that money and still pruduce a CHIT product. A product that does not compete with others on a sytle, mechanical, safty, reliablilty, and price platform.

There are many, many, many more of people like me then there are people like you on this subject.

Jake

road kill
02-07-2012, 03:55 PM
How many people do YOU know buying GM vehicles versus Other brands???

There are more people PISSED off at the bailout then there are, that are glad to see it in place...the result is PEOPLE are TAKING IT OUT ON GM, and NOT purchasing their vehicles.

I know I will NEVER purchase another GM vehicle...it has to do with the bail out and the fact they took that money and still pruduce a CHIT product. A product that does not compete with others on a sytle, mechanical, safty, reliablilty, and price platform.

There are many, many, many more of people like me then there are people like you on this subject.

Jake

^^^ What he said!^^^

RK

menmon
02-08-2012, 02:33 PM
^^^ What he said!^^^

RK

Obviously you have not owned a Dodge lately...give one a try...you want go back

Buzz
02-08-2012, 02:54 PM
Obviously you have not owned a Dodge lately...give one a try...you want go back

I sure like my RAM!

By the way, I recently heard a statistic that the AVERAGE age of cars on the road is now OVER 10 years.

I'm going to buy some more GM and some more FORD. I have a long horizon. Wish I had liquidated everything and bought all the FORD I could afford when they were under 2 bucks. I did get a small boatload though!

menmon
02-08-2012, 03:39 PM
I sure like my RAM!

By the way, I recently heard a statistic that the AVERAGE age of cars on the road is now OVER 10 years.

I'm going to buy some more GM and some more FORD. I have a long horizon. Wish I had liquidated everything and bought all the FORD I could afford when they were under 2 bucks. I did get a small boatload though!

Now I know why you are adding a third dog. By the way I have an 8 month old Willie puppy too. So far I like him!

road kill
02-09-2012, 10:21 AM
White House reveals jobless forecast -- but disavows it
By Caren Bohan | Reuters 35 mins ago....EmailNew: Now the email button gives you a quick and easy way to start a conversation.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Barack Obama will forecast a U.S. unemployment rate averaging 8.9 percent in 2012 in his annual budget on Monday - but before the document was even released a top aide called the projection "stale" and said it should be lower.

"We would certainly lower our forecast of the unemployment rate from the figures that will appear in Monday's Budget if we were to do another forecast today," top White House economist Alan Krueger said in an e-mail.

"The forecast of the unemployment rate that will accompany the Budget should be considered stale and out of date," wrote Krueger, who is chairman of the White House Council of Economic Advisors.

In mid-November, when the economic forecasts were compiled, the nation's latest reported unemployment rate was 9 percent. Last month, the jobless rate dropped to a three-year low of 8.3 percent as employers added 243,000 new jobs.

Because of that, Obama's aides said their previous forecasts are already out of date.

Under pressure to reduce unemployment in an election year, Obama has welcomed a series of monthly reports showing unexpected declines in the unemployment rate.

The unemployment estimates that his administration will release next week underpin the White House forecasts on budget deficits and the national debt.

But the economic assumptions, including the jobless rate and gross domestic product, are usually calculated many weeks before the budget is actually unveiled.

It appears the administration may leave people guessing about its more updated unemployment forecast. However, the White House will seek to make the case that if its policies were adopted -- including the extension of a payroll tax cut for workers and new investment in infrastructure -- the country would see healthy job growth.

An administration official said that a report on the economy expected later this month would project payroll employment growth of 2 million in 2012 if Congress passed Obama's economic agenda.

Republicans vying to challenge Obama in the November 6 election, including frontrunner Mitt Romney, have repeatedly criticized the Democratic president's handling of the economy and made the problem of high unemployment a central theme of the campaign.

Each year since he took office in 2009, Obama has continued the ritual of making public his economic forecasts. But he suffered a political backlash for a forecast his top economists issued in early 2009.

Obama's aides said then that if Congress were to pass his $800 billion economic stimulus package, it would prevent the U.S. unemployment rate from surging above 8 percent.

The Democratic-led Congress quickly approved the stimulus package but the jobless rate ultimately climbed above 10 percent before eventually declining to its current rate of 8.3 percent.

(Reporting By Caren Bohan; additional reporting by Susan Heavey; Editing by Eric Beech and Vicki Allen)

Who's on first????

RK

Pete
02-15-2012, 09:38 AM
In theory, foreclosure should have been started after 60 days of no mortgage payments, but that still hasn't happened.

Are you sure about that.
My lawyer has told me over and over again that PA actually requires 90 days tardy to send out the first letter and get the bankruptcy process going,, even if the contract states 30 days as mine does. Hell,, he was even almost 2 years behind in taxes, And I still had to wait.
PA has the most liberal realestate laws favoring the theives and con artists. I always try to keep in mind that a "common wealth" means my wealth is common to the rest of the sluggards.

Pete

Gerry Clinchy
02-15-2012, 11:47 AM
At this point, Pete, those mortgage payments are getting close to a year in arrears.

The non-payment of taxes would be something different. I believe that after 2 years, the taxing authority will initiate a tax sale (Sheriff's Sale) ... usually, then, the lender will purchase the property for the back taxes due.

Pete
02-15-2012, 09:20 PM
oopppps Gerry I meant forcloser ,,,not bankruptcy.

Gerry Clinchy
02-15-2012, 11:00 PM
Was at a seminar today, given by lawyers. With the right lawyer, one could end up staying in a house, while foreclosure proceedings are going on, for a long while ... meantime not paying a dime in mortgage payments. Of course, you'd have to pay the lawyer to keep filing papers.

The short sale situation is even more of a disaster. Even if there is an offer on the property, the bank can decide to turn it down (that's reasonable). But also during the 3 to 6 mos (or longer) that the bank is pushing paper around, they can decide to sell the mortgage to an investor; and you basically start all over with the new owner of the mortgage. One agent at the seminar has been waiting for a bank approval for 9 mos on a short sale situation.

One can ask a bank to take a deed in lieu of foreclosure, but with the huge number of homes involved, the banks don't want to own that many properties, and make it easy for the owners to dump them back at the bank. So, instead, they will go through the foreclosure process (which can cost as much as $50,000 for the bank), and then they bundle several properties together and sell them off to investors "wholesale". Which they could also do with DILs, but they don't want to set a precedent in making it too easy for the owners to do the DILs ... even though it would make the whole thing more expeditious and cost the bank less $ to do that.

It's such a huge mess, of which we've only seen the tip of the iceberg. Right now about 10% of our MLS's listings are short sale situations. That doesn't count the already bank-owned properties.