PDA

View Full Version : Wolverine Ret Club Training Day (MI) - 2/18/12

Dan Wegner
02-13-2012, 09:40 AM
Wolverine Retriever Club (Southeast Michigan) is holding a Training Day on Saturday, February 18th at the Lapeer State Game and Field Trial Training area.

Start time is 9:30 A.M. We will meet in the parking area on Farnsworth Rd. just North of Coulter Rd.

Members and non members are welcome at no charge. Set-up's will be modified for all levels of dogs.

For more information, either reply to this post or call Tim Kaier at home (586) 983-3753 or on his mobile (248) 521-3196.

The forecast all week is showing highs in the upper 30's, so hopefully the little snow we have will melt and we'll have a nice sunny day to enjoy.

Remis Dad
02-13-2012, 04:37 PM
I will be there to observe. I am new to trial dogs, and have a new puppy.

Dan Wegner
02-13-2012, 06:39 PM
As long as your puppy has all his/her shots, bring them along and we'll throw some puppy marks. No need to just watch when you can get involved. We look forward to meeting you!

Remis Dad
02-14-2012, 12:06 AM
My pup isn't ready yet. He's only 7 weeks, and only had one round of shots.....he's not ready for exposure yet. But I still plan on watching myself. I'm very interested in joining. Do you guys have a website?

Remis Dad
02-14-2012, 04:28 AM
One question though. Would any of you going be interested in helping me intro him to birds soon? I am actually located in Clarkston, near the four corners (Clarkston, Brandon, Orion, Oxford.

I haven't hunted in 4 years, between Duke running away, and starting a business. This means I have no birds available, and honestly, I'm a new guy to trial dogs. I met a man 4 years ago from Lake Orion while doing a tree job. He had trial dogs, and amazed me with their abilities. Duke was a fairly well behaved lab/wimey mix who could grab every mark he ever saw. Anyways, I'm looking to join a club, so Remi and I can get into these trials.

How do you guys look at mutts??? See my thread Remi's Dad, there's an explanation of him there. He's now 7.5 weeks, backyard breed. I seen both parents (neighbor dogs), dad was an English, about 80-90 lbs, mom was smaller lab (maybe mixed but strong yellow lab look)

Dan Wegner
02-14-2012, 06:52 PM
Would any of you going be interested in helping me intro him to birds soon? I am actually located in Clarkston, near the four corners (Clarkston, Brandon, Orion, Oxford.
Club training days are a great way to introduce a pup to birds. He may be too young for this one, but maybe the next one. We should be able to hook you up with some folks in your area.

Anyways, I'm looking to join a club, so Remi and I can get into these trials.
Come see what it's all about. This is primarily a Field Trial club. There are also AKC Hunt Test clubs and HRC Hunt Test Clubs in the area. You may want to check each of them out to see what fits best with your goals.

How do you guys look at mutts??? Registered with papers is a requirement for Field Trials, but not for training. Although mixed breeds cannot run AKC Field Trials, you may be able to register him in UKC and run hunt tests. Doesn't mean you can't train with or belong to the club. Who knows, you may get hooked and decide your next dog will have the papers that allow them to play the game. You first need to decide what your goals are. If you are really looking for a good hunting dog and family companion, a HRC club may be a better fit. Lets talk more on Saturday....

Remis Dad
02-14-2012, 09:09 PM
Thanks again.

I went today to pick up another puppy, for a friend.

I passed an area on Fish Lake road that was posted as a trial area or something. Is this where I'm going Saturday? Do you have an address?

Dan Wegner
02-15-2012, 09:51 AM
I passed an area on Fish Lake road that was posted as a trial area or something. Is this where I'm going Saturday? Do you have an address?

Posted in the original message....

...We will meet in the parking area on Farnsworth Rd. just North of Coulter Rd.

Fish Lake Rd. is a couple miles East of where we'll be meeting. The FT training area there is not cut, so we will be at Farnsworth Rd. Parking area is in the 3000 block of Farnsworth Rd. Here's a link to a map: http://g.co/maps/294q2

Remis Dad
02-15-2012, 08:06 PM
My bad, I missed that. Thanks again.

Dallas Detroit
02-15-2012, 08:10 PM
Please count Henry and myself for this weekend.. Dallas
Wolverine Retriever Club (Southeast Michigan) is holding a Training Day on Saturday, February 18th at the Lapeer State Game and Field Trial Training area.

Start time is 9:30 A.M. We will meet in the parking area on Farnsworth Rd. just North of Coulter Rd.

Members and non members are welcome at no charge. Set-up's will be modified for all levels of dogs.

For more information, either reply to this post or call Tim Kaier at home (586) 983-3753 or on his mobile (248) 521-3196.

The forecast all week is showing highs in the upper 30's, so hopefully the little snow we have will melt and we'll have a nice sunny day to enjoy.