PDA

View Full Version : School Lunches

Gerry Clinchy
02-15-2012, 11:07 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/02/14/preschoolers-homemade-lunch-replaced-with-nuggets/

The West Hoke Elementary School student was in her More at Four classroom when a state agent who was inspecting lunch boxes decided that her packed lunch — which consisted of a turkey (http://www.foxnews.com/topics/turkey.htm#r_src=ramp) and cheese sandwich, a banana, apple juice and potato chips — “did not meet U.S. Department of Agriculture guidelines,” the Journal reports.

The decision was made under consideration of a regulation put in place by the the Division of Child Development and Early Education at the Department of Health and Human Services, which requires all lunches served in pre-kindergarten programs to meet USDA guidelines.

“When home-packed lunches do not include all of the required items, child care providers must supplement them with the missing ones,” the Journal reports.

The student’s mother told the Journal she received a note from the school about the incident and was charged $1.25 for the cafeteria tray, from which her daughter only ate three chicken nuggets.

The note explained how students who did not bring “healthy lunches” would be offered the missing portions and that parents could be charged for the cost of the cafeteria food, the Journal reports.

The mother, who was not identified in the report, expressed concern about school officials telling her daughter that she wasn’t “packing her lunch box properly.”

Didn't sound like such a bad lunch that mom had packed for her kid.

mngundog
02-15-2012, 11:41 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/02/14/preschoolers-homemade-lunch-replaced-with-nuggets/

[/COLOR]

Didn't sound like such a bad lunch that mom had packed for her kid.[/LEFT]

Well when they go looking for budget cuts, I'd add that one to the list. Goes to show there is no need to increase taxes when you have agencies like this showing how foolishly they can spend it.

M&K's Retrievers
02-15-2012, 12:27 PM
Kinda sounds like the Hitler Youth Group.

Is this a great country or what?

luvmylabs23139
02-15-2012, 12:48 PM
Thing is the kids lunch actually met the standards but the stupid inspector did not know it. 2 portions of fruit or veggies. The kid had a banana and apple juice which combined met the requirement.
This more it at 4 is taxpayer funded babysitting!

Jason Glavich
02-15-2012, 02:02 PM
But wait theres more to the story, Ill try to find the orignal article not from Fox. The kid only ate 3 nuggets out of her meal she had to buy!!!!!!!

Hew
02-15-2012, 02:04 PM
That's f'ed up, right there. If a parent packs their kid a lunch of Fruity Pebbles and cotton candy what business is that of the Fed or state govt.?!?

mngundog
02-15-2012, 02:09 PM
But wait theres more to the story, Ill try to find the orignal article not from Fox. The kid only ate 3 nuggets out of her meal she had to buy!!!!!!!
Thats in the story in the OP.

luvmylabs23139
02-15-2012, 02:17 PM
http://www.carolinajournal.com/exclusives/homemade-lunch-replaced-with-cafeteria-nuggets.html

Original story.

Jason Glavich
02-15-2012, 02:21 PM
Thats in the story in the OP.

oops I missed that. I read another one that left that out.

Eric Johnson
02-15-2012, 04:01 PM
I suspect there is even a constitional issue here. While the school can insist that the lunches they serve meet USDA guidelines, I don't see how they can insist that a lunch from home meet the guidelines without tripping over the several of the amendments. As a pre-kindergartner, the student would be doubly protected in that s/he doesn't have the wherewithal to react appropriately to the "lunch police" searching the lunch-box.

In reality, I'm not in favor of this being a court-case. I am in favor of the adult joining the unemployment line.

Eric

Becky Mills
02-15-2012, 05:12 PM
Our tax dollars at work. That is sooooo wrong on so many levels.

luvmylabs23139
02-15-2012, 05:38 PM
What if this child had a food alergy? This is beyond insane.

M&K's Retrievers
02-15-2012, 06:45 PM
What if this child had a food alergy? This is beyond insane.

Here kid. Gimme that lunch your Mom made and eat these peanuts. Seriously, many chicken nuggets have milk or whey in them. Lots of kids are allergic to dairy. Many products while not containing peanuts are processed in plants that process peanuts. Check the labels. Why would they tell you if it didn't matter?

4 out of our 5 grand kids have food allergies. When they are coming to stay with us grocery shopping is a reading experience. You wouldn't believe what goes in to the stuff we eat. Even some hot dogs have mike in them. Go figure.

Gerry Clinchy
02-15-2012, 07:35 PM
They should be glad that this mom cared enough to pack lunch for her child. Many can't be bothered to take the time. More nutrition in a banana than in the watermelon.

charly_t
02-15-2012, 08:54 PM

In reality, I'm not in favor of this being a court-case. I am in favor of the adult joining the unemployment line.

Eric

That was the same idea that I got after reading part of this story.