PDA

View Full Version : Your Definition of.........

road kill
02-19-2012, 03:01 PM
I hope this gets some GREAT answers and gets some traction.

What is YOUR definition of a conservative.

Not personal opinions of what you think of people that claim to be such, but YOUR defintition of what conservatism means.

I hope this is a good thread.

We will do Liberal or Progressive next.

stan b

starjack
02-19-2012, 04:13 PM
Living with in your means

Micah Duffy
02-19-2012, 04:35 PM
Living with in your means

Well said above!

I would add Conservative is saving something that you love or enjoy doing to share with someone else or for use at a later date ie...not using it all up yourself or at one time.

Ex If you have a piece of property at which you hunt. You can hunt it everyday of the season until there is no game left. Or, you can take what you need a couple of times through the season and have game available for the next season...possibly when your now 12 year old sun can hunt with you.

Down East Labs 217
02-19-2012, 04:48 PM
Conservative: Not depending on any outsider for support to live. Believing you are responsible for your families welfare not the government.

Believing the federal government has no say so how a state governs itself.

Believing the federal government is not responsible for the citizens welfare the state is. The federal government is there to keep us safe and independent.

Believing the state government is responsible to its citizens to budget its money and not bounce any checks, I.E. do not go over budget.

Believing welfare, schools, highways, emergencies, etc..... are the states responsibility not the federal governments.

The list goes on. However, being a conservative means little government and knowing the government owes you nothing.

My opinion

Richard

Hew
02-19-2012, 06:43 PM
A Conservative reveres the United States Constitution as written, and admires/respects the principles and morality that inspired the men who wrote and enacted it.

dback
02-19-2012, 07:09 PM
A Conservative reveres the United States Constitution as written, and admires/respects the principles and morality that inspired the men who wrote and enacted it.

+1..............

Matt McKenzie
02-19-2012, 07:19 PM

Brilliant!

Marvin S
02-19-2012, 11:21 PM

I do not disagree - but most folks don't know what the Constitution says nor do they have any idea of the sacrifices of those who wrote the document.

I believe it has something to do with a common sense approach to life including taking care of yourself & your family without asking for help. Not expecting someone else to bail you out when your wants exceed your needs & your ability to meet your obligations.

"When in the woods, always park your truck facing home as you can not predict your condition when you leave the woods."

Don't expect the SP's to understand that :-P.

mudminnow
02-20-2012, 11:40 AM
I think this pretty much explains it

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected."- GK Chesterton

Matt McKenzie
02-20-2012, 05:02 PM
Conservatives believe in personal responsibility, limited government, free markets, individual liberty, traditional American values and a strong national defense. Believe the role of government should be to provide people the freedom necessary to pursue their own goals. Conservative policies generally emphasize empowerment of the individual to solve problems. (StudentNewsDaily.com)

Not a bad definition, I think. Where some conservatives get mixed up is when we get to the "traditional American values" part. That's when some folks begin to disregard the individual liberty part and start trying to control other people's personal lives.

huntinman
02-20-2012, 06:03 PM
Vegetarian: Old conservative word for lousy hunter.

Ken Bora
02-21-2012, 06:57 AM
"When in the woods, always park your truck facing home as you can not predict your condition when you leave the woods." :-P.

when I judged my first hunt test. My co-judge told me the same.
I wanted to be some kind of bad ack self important so and so. And park on the line, using my truck as a view blocker
And after he looked at the field we wuz given to work with and knew what we were going to do he said. "Lets park near the gate";-)
BTW a few of you folk are kinda sorta describing Libertarians instead of conservatives. Are they one and the same?

Franco
02-21-2012, 07:06 AM
when I judged my first hunt test. My co-judge told me the same.
I wanted to be some kind of bad ack self important so and so. And park on the line, using my truck as a view blocker
And after he looked at the field we wuz given to work with and knew what we were going to do he said. "Lets park near the gate";-)
BTW a few of you folk are kinda sorta describing Libertarians instead of conservatives. Are they one and the same?

They kind of use to be;-) The Conservative movement was born out of our countries third oldest political party, Libertarian. Self-reliance, small government, fiscal responsibility and a sane Foreign Policy. Then, the Conservative movement was hijacked.

Today, anyone can call themselves Conservative because it doesn't mean anything anymore.

featherqwest
02-21-2012, 07:11 AM
Well being of sound mind I can attest to what is on the left and the right. I stay in the middle. I don't buy anything new because they shipped all of our jobs overseas. I am "green". I was forced to live a lifestyle that was not so good after I lost all my material things back in 2008. Selling what you have to get to family. I hope that people understand the current state we are in. Gas is going up and everything with it. Be prepared for lots of whining. I still live that frugal lifestyle. What they do in Washington does matter but I really have no control over it. I worked as a project manager in DC for a few years and saw some really stupid shit. Oh well. Having a family with learning disabilities is no problem because we all got over it and we are much better humans. I much like what I am doing now. Being self employed. :cool: My dogs are the center of my world now:D