PDA

View Full Version : Donít be a City Squirrel

Ken Bora
02-21-2012, 11:34 PM
Donít be a City Squirrel
An original composition by
Ken Bora.

I was sitting in my Pick up truck this morning February 21, 2012 doing paperwork.
It was cold, 17į above zero but Sunny. Yesterday was Presidents Day so no mail or Banks. I was sitting there doing the mindless tasks of filling out bank deposit slips and opening mail. And I thought of my Grandfather Oliver. As a youngster my Grandfather, on days like this would go out in the driveway and sit in his car and read the paper. Not start the car or even play the radio but just sit in the warmth of the sun, on a cold clear February Vermont day. So I am thinking about my Grandfather and sitting in the Sun in my truck in my driveway doing paperwork and I see a Squirrel. Now bear in mind I am already thinking of my Grandfather when I see the Squirrel so instantly I am 9 years old. Living with my Grandparents in Rural Charlotte, Vermont. It was a time before gun safes and trigger locks. If you wanted a gun there was a living room closet full of them and a big one right behind the kitchen door. But as a youth it was ammunition that was at a premium. You had to work for ammunition. You had to lug and stack and haul and feed and shovel out, to get ammunition. But once you had it. Squirrel season started September 1st and went into Christmas. School got out at 3 and the woods were right there behind the hay field. The Wild Squirrel was a worthy adversary. It was smart and quick. It would seek and store food for hard times all while eluding the peep sight of my Sears and Roebucks .22 long rifle, bolt action with the tubular magazine under the barrel.
Back to the present. This Squirrel I see now is nothing like the Squirrel of my youth. It is a fat lazy Squirrel. The Squirrel and I are familiar. I feed the birds. This Squirrel has learned what time I feed the birds. It has become familiar with the quality of seed I provide. This Squirrel no longer bothers to save for hard times. The bird feeder will always be there. This Squirrel no longer bothers to forage. The bird feeder will always be there. As I sit in the concealment of my sun lit pick up truck I am disgusted by the Squirrel. How could such a noble creature that back in the day, more times than naught would best me and my tack driver of a .22 long rifle, become a mere scavenger of handouts? Casting away swift of foot and quick of mind to become a slave to the bird feeder? Was it a conscious decision? Did one morning the Squirrel wake up and think ď I am not going to feed myself todayĒ Or did the available handout of the bird feeder lull the Squirrel away from itís God given skill to provide for itself? Who is in the wrong, the Squirrel for living off of my bird feeder, or me for keeping it full? While I do not know the answer to these questions, I do know one thing. Given the choice, I would never be a city Squirrel.

M&K's Retrievers
02-22-2012, 12:01 AM
Well written, Ken. I can't help but wonder that if instead of a city squirrel they are in fact liberal squirrels.

Tree rats regards,

Ken Bora
02-22-2012, 06:29 AM
but if the feeder were not filled, would the liberal Squirrel turn conservative?
what is more important, the politicks of the Squirrel, or of the person filling the feeder?

paul young
02-22-2012, 07:36 AM
thanks for pre-supposing that all liberal squirrels don't forage for themselves.....i know this liberal squirrel (by your definition anyways) does his own foraging., and then distributes some of that forage to other squirrels who are in need of some without whining about it.

conservative squirrels, on the other hand, prefer to hoard as much forage as they can, and view ALL the other squirrels as wanting EVERYTHING they have.- just call me Rocky

mudminnow
02-22-2012, 07:47 AM
This conservative squirrel could do alot better job at distrubuting his extra food than the government could. Here he is foraging all day only for the "squirrel counsel of the woods" to tell him he is whining when he opposes them taking a third of what he works for and gives it to squirrels that don't forage themselves.

How about them acorns?

coachmo
02-22-2012, 07:47 AM
Mr. Young,
You're right! You figured all of us conservatives out. We all want to hoard everything for ourselves. None of us give to food banks, church charities, or provide children in our community with school clothes, supplies, etc. Yes we are all just greedy, self-serving individuals with no compassion or concern for our fellow Americans. Get a clue!!

paul young
02-22-2012, 08:24 AM
Mr. Young,
You're right! You figured all of us conservatives out. We all want to hoard everything for ourselves. None of us give to food banks, church charities, or provide children in our community with school clothes, supplies, etc. Yes we are all just greedy, self-serving individuals with no compassion or concern for our fellow Americans. Get a clue!!

it was also assumed that liberals don't work . get a clue!!! guess that makes us even.

and there have been MANY posts by people on this board who would only do the charity and tax-based work you refer to under government order. i'm not totally wrong on this. i did exagerrate a bit to make my point, though.

M&K's Retrievers
02-22-2012, 08:42 AM
it was also assumed that liberals don't work . get a clue!!! guess that makes us even.

and there have been MANY posts by people on this board who would only do the charity and tax-based work you refer to under government order. i'm not totally wrong on this. i did exagerrate a bit to make my point, though.

A point not taken....

coachmo
02-22-2012, 08:57 AM
I never assumed anything of the sort. I'm not the one posting broad generalizations about people. It appears that you are the one doing the assuming. I've got a clue and as far as us being even well...

paul young
02-22-2012, 09:20 AM
A point not taken....

of course not Mike. you're a conservative, so all liberals don't work. you also don't want to be confused by facts such as MOST liberals do work.

do a search on "re-distribution of wealth" on this forum, and tell me how many of the self-proclaimed conservatives are in favor of taxation and the social programs made possible by taxation.-Paul

paul young
02-22-2012, 09:26 AM
I never assumed anything of the sort. I'm not the one posting broad generalizations about people. It appears that you are the one doing the assuming. I've got a clue and as far as us being even well...

correct! that would be Mike Whitworth. but, you did support his post, so i included you.-Paul

Byron Musick
02-22-2012, 09:29 AM
Well I am shocked that no one noticed those lazy good fer nothin birds that are getting the free ride?? :) The squirrel's just cleaning up the mess! ~ Going back to my hiding hole.... :0

Jason Glavich
02-22-2012, 09:39 AM
Well I am shocked that no one noticed those lazy good fer nothin birds that are getting the free ride?? :) The squirrel's just cleaning up the mess! ~ Going back to my hiding hole.... :0

Well the food was given to the birds, so isn't the squirrel really the bad guy by taking food from the bird? After all it did come from a bird feeder. Or is the squirrel just being smart and collecting what the birds are wasting?

coachmo
02-22-2012, 10:06 AM
Mr. Young,
You really are in left field (pun intended)! I never supported any post I simply defended the fact that there are a great number of conservatives that give or do charity work for the less fortunate. I believe in charity and compassion as a result of my faith and beliefs not my political affiliation.

road kill
02-22-2012, 10:13 AM
I think we could all agree that there are some squirrels who have taken advantage of the system and have made careers of not foraging for them selves.

Having said that, what percentage of the "non-foraging" squirrel society vote Republican??

Your guess will do......;-)

RK

M&K's Retrievers
02-22-2012, 10:26 AM
of course not Mike. you're a conservative, so all liberals don't work. you also don't want to be confused by facts such as MOST liberals do work.

do a search on "re-distribution of wealth" on this forum, and tell me how many of the self-proclaimed conservatives are in favor of taxation and the social programs made possible by taxation.-Paul

Of course liberals work. That's what's amazing.

The 49% that don't pay taxes (the squirrels) are not liberals. Many are in dire need while most I suspect are freeloaders with no political leanings.

paul young
02-22-2012, 10:34 AM
This conservative squirrel could do alot better job at distrubuting his extra food than the government could. Here he is foraging all day only for the "squirrel counsel of the woods" to tell him he is whining when he opposes them taking a third of what he works for and gives it to squirrels that don't forage themselves.

How about them acorns?

but the squirrel does benefit from his contribution....thru programs like medicare and social security just to name 2 of them. it doesn't all go to the "city squirrels".-Paul

Golddogs
02-22-2012, 10:50 AM
Well written, Ken. I can't help but wonder that if instead of a city squirrel they are in fact liberal squirrels.

Tree rats regards,

More likely they are career squirrels who's affiliation doesn't matter, and have become very skilled at telling the mindless what they want to hear all the while eating at the public trough while padding their nests at the expense of the well meaning.

Term limit regards

Terri
02-22-2012, 09:10 PM
I think it is time for Mr. Bora to get the gun out and put some good old fear back in the squirrel.

Terri

JDogger
02-22-2012, 09:25 PM
Having said that, what percentage of the "non-foraging" squirrel society vote Republican??
RK

Who really cares....Our NE aesop may spin fables, but ask yourself, who spends more time at the trough, he or thee?

Thurber regards, JD

road kill
02-23-2012, 05:42 AM
Who really cares....Our NE aesop may spin fables, but ask yourself, who spends more time at the trough, he or thee?

Thurber regards, JD
To be honest, I wouldn't care if the non-foragers had not become an influential voting block.
The term "poverty-pimp" has meaning.
The pimps are at the same trough.
They produce nothing.
In fact they almost anti-produce in getting even more squirrels to be non-foragers.:rolleyes:

Of course the bigger issue is when the King Squirrell's men come to TAKE your forgae.
Let's say you foraged 10 nuts.
The King's men come to take 5 of them.
But King, you beg, can't you just take 2 nuts??
No says the King, we must give nuts to those who do not forage!!
Can't you give the non-foragers just a little less, and leave some for me, so I can trade them, then more foragers will have more nuts and corn for you to TAKE!!!?
Well, you get it........the KING has to take our forage and distribute so as to get more loyalty!!!:D

Having said that, I love foraging!:D
I am pleased with my nest and the nuts I have gathered!:D
I truly enjoy my life, except for the getting old part!!:mad:

I hope everyone enjoys life, it is too short not to............

RK

Ken Bora
02-28-2012, 10:43 PM
I think sitting in an automobile on a cold sunny day must truly be a family tradition. I was thinking of Granby, Quebec today. You see, my Father, Niles loves to watch White Tailed Deer. For years he would feed Deer. Now Vermont has baiting laws during hunting season but as soon as the black powder season ended he would start. In the beginning it was a bucket or two of drop apples from his tree. That gradually increased to a pick up truck full pile of drops from the local orchard. Dad loved to sit in his truck and watch the Deer feed. He would brag on ":His Deer" to his friends. Towards the end I would drive over across the lake to about Malone or Massena, hang a right and cross the border someplace west of Granby. It was just huge vast gently rolling land made up of vegetable fields, root crops. And huge warehouse buildings with fun, friendly short little Frenchmen. Who, if you gave um a $20 would fire up a tractor and dump a huge bucket full of carrots into your pick up truck. Dad loved it. The Carrots lasted so much longer than the apples and made a regular food source for his Deer. I recall one time pulling up to the border kid, Carrots dripping of over the side of the truck and onto the pavement as I stop at the booth. And the Kids says, "Do you have anything to declare?" "No Kid! I always drive around with a heaping load of carrots! You think this is my lunch?"
So, finally Vermont did a study about feeding Deer. Seems it causes more issues that is solves. Made it against the law to feed the Deer. My Dad was crushed. How will they survive? So he no longer sits for hours and watches his Deer. And they fend for themselves in the forest.

M&K's Retrievers
02-29-2012, 12:45 AM
I think sitting in an automobile on a cold sunny day must truly be a family tradition. I was thinking of Granby, Quebec today. You see, my Father, Niles loves to watch White Tailed Deer. For years he would feed Deer. Now Vermont has baiting laws during hunting season but as soon as the black powder season ended he would start. In the beginning it was a bucket or two of drop apples from his tree. That gradually increased to a pick up truck full pile of drops from the local orchard. Dad loved to sit in his truck and watch the Deer feed. He would brag on ":His Deer" to his friends. Towards the end I would drive over across the lake to about Malone or Massena, hang a right and cross the border someplace west of Granby. It was just huge vast gently rolling land made up of vegetable fields, root crops. And huge warehouse buildings with fun, friendly short little Frenchmen. Who, if you gave um a $20 would fire up a tractor and dump a huge bucket full of carrots into your pick up truck. Dad loved it. The Carrots lasted so much longer than the apples and made a regular food source for his Deer. I recall one time pulling up to the border kid, Carrots dripping of over the side of the truck and onto the pavement as I stop at the booth. And the Kids says, "Do you have anything to declare?" "No Kid! I always drive around with a heaping load of carrots! You think this is my lunch?"
So, finally Vermont did a study about feeding Deer. Seems it causes more issues that is solves. Made it against the law to feed the Deer. My Dad was crushed. How will they survive? So he no longer sits for hours and watches his Deer. And they fend for themselves in the forest.

I wasn't feeding the deer. I just dumped this stuff on the ground for the deadbeat squirrels you were talking about earlier. I can't be held responsible if those damn deer decide to help themselves. I put a sign out that said " No Deer Allowed".

Ken Bora
02-29-2012, 11:24 AM
....Our NE aesop may spin fables,, JD

actually, factually, I feel generally, and in this thread specifically. I do not type fables. I type parables.:cool:
As both short stories and the recollections in them are real. But I use them to trigger conversation and thought. Sometimes I trigger fistfights. It's all good. I am humbled at the Aesop comparison.
So very not worthy;-).