PDA

View Full Version : Isn't this Beautiful???

road kill
03-02-2012, 12:03 PM
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l190/ultima84/Wind_Turbines_low.jpg

Gorgeous!!

RK

Marvin S
03-02-2012, 12:10 PM
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l190/ultima84/Wind_Turbines_low.jpg

Gorgeous!!

RK

Makes you want to visit :rolleyes: :( .

road kill
03-02-2012, 12:14 PM
Makes you want to visit :rolleyes: :( .

Makes me wanna PUKE!!!

:barf:

RK

Gerry Clinchy
03-02-2012, 01:10 PM
Sort of ironic that those who are upset by the fact that the windmills can be a negative for birds will have to duke it out with those who want environmentally neutral, clean energy.

HPL
03-02-2012, 01:57 PM
They are loading us up with those things too, and as we are right in a choke point on the central flyway, I wonder how many birds are getting swept from the sky during migration. This may be clean energy, but certainly not "environmentally neutral". Also a bit of an eyesore.

duckheads
03-02-2012, 02:43 PM
And from what I understand, they only have a twenty year lifespan. What will happen to all of those beautiful windmills then? Will it be economically feasable to rebuild or just walk away? Wonder how the contract reads? Is the company liable for the removal or can they just walk away?

BonMallari
03-02-2012, 04:25 PM
And from what I understand, they only have a twenty year lifespan. What will happen to all of those beautiful windmills then? Will it be economically feasable to rebuild or just walk away? Wonder how the contract reads? Is the company liable for the removal or can they just walk away?

that info may be incorrect...the picture looks like the area surrounding Palm Springs Calif, and they have been in existence since the 70's....Yes they are an eyesore, but considering its the middle of the desert, they have impacted the geese that fly thru that area toward their winter grounds on the Colorado River/Arizona and Mexico

Cody Covey
03-02-2012, 06:50 PM
Sort of ironic that those who are upset by the fact that the windmills can be a negative for birds will have to duke it out with those who want environmentally neutral, clean energy.

Studies have shown multiple times that birds just go around then so no negative affect on birds. They are horrible for bats though. The bats sonar can't detect them since they are spinning so the bats fly right into them.

Gerry Clinchy
03-02-2012, 06:56 PM
Studies have shown multiple times that birds just go around then so no negative affect on birds. They are horrible for bats though. The bats sonar can't detect them since they are spinning so the bats fly right into them.

And that could be a problem, since bats are important insectivores.

Down East Labs 217
03-02-2012, 07:27 PM
that info may be incorrect...the picture looks like the area surrounding Palm Springs Calif, and they have been in existence since the 70's....Yes they are an eyesore, but considering its the middle of the desert, they have impacted the geese that fly thru that area toward their winter grounds on the Colorado River/Arizona and Mexico

I don't think that is the wind mills near palm springs. The desert there has less vegetation than in the picture and the land is a lot flatter in the Palm Springs area. However, The wind mills in that area have been around a long time. I remember seeing them the first time I was stationed in 29 Palms in 1978. Boy that was a long time ago.

I could be wrong but I don't think I am.

Richard

BonMallari
03-02-2012, 08:13 PM
I don't think that is the wind mills near palm springs. The desert there has less vegetation than in the picture and the land is a lot flatter in the Palm Springs area. However, The wind mills in that area have been around a long time. I remember seeing them the first time I was stationed in 29 Palms in 1978. Boy that was a long time ago.

Richard

well your memory is good because the windmills are still there just as you come down the hill from 29 Palms where it intersects with Hwy 111....they have added a few unfortunately...Never seen so many barber shops as there are in 29 Palms, but I think they only know one cut (short on the sides-burr on the top aka high and tight)...at least that how I used to get it cut when I was a youngster

M&K's Retrievers
03-02-2012, 11:00 PM
We drove thru West Texas a couple of years ago. I can't guess how many of the things we saw for miles and miles. Odd thing was most were not turning and the wind was blowing pretty good.

JDogger
03-02-2012, 11:20 PM
I

Richard

That could be the most definitive statement ever made on PP.

JD

Down East Labs 217
03-03-2012, 05:32 AM
That could be the most definitive statement ever made on PP.

JD

My, without even knowing me you are throwing stones. Not sure why the personal attack. One thing I was always taught. If you roll with a pig you only get muddy.

Have a blessed day JD

Richard

Ken Bora
03-03-2012, 07:58 AM
I like wind.
I think they look just fine.
better than a mushroom cloud.
the bats are geting shafted yes, but here white nose syndrom is killing them as they winter over so soon none will be left for the windmills to dice anyway.

JDogger
03-04-2012, 09:03 PM
My, without even knowing me you are throwing stones. Not sure why the personal attack. One thing I was always taught. If you roll with a pig you only get muddy.

Have a blessed day JD

Richard

Sorry Richard. My comment was aimed at the thead, not at you personally. I should not have quoted you to make that point.

JD

HPL
03-04-2012, 10:22 PM
When they were in the public relations stages of bringing them into our area there were several public meetings and in at least one of them they addressed the bird smacking issue and apparently the ones with the open truss construction (like those pictured) actually do pose a threat to raptors which find the towers enticing perches. The ones in our area have giant, one piece tubes as the tower, so no place for birds to land (but still real eyesores)

roseberry
03-04-2012, 11:05 PM
When they were in the public relations stages of bringing them into our area there were several public meetings and in at least one of them they addressed the bird smacking issue and apparently the ones with the open truss construction (like those pictured) actually do pose a threat to raptors which find the towers enticing perches. The ones in our area have giant, one piece tubes as the tower, so no place for birds to land (but still real eyesores)

hpl,
somewhere there is a montana rancher saying, "ya, ya, yak, yak the rest of the country voted for those ugly things in texas so live with it. we hope the windmills chop up your job somehow too!"

just giggin' from the wolf thread, lol.

HPL
03-05-2012, 12:24 AM
hpl,
somewhere there is a montana rancher saying, "ya, ya, yak, yak the rest of the country voted for those ugly things in texas so live with it. we hope the windmills chop up your job somehow too!"

just giggin' from the wolf thread, lol.
Texas is properly spelled with a capital "T".

Jason Glavich
03-08-2012, 09:31 AM
well your memory is good because the windmills are still there just as you come down the hill from 29 Palms where it intersects with Hwy 111....they have added a few unfortunately...Never seen so many barber shops as there are in 29 Palms, but I think they only know one cut (short on the sides-burr on the top aka high and tight)...at least that how I used to get it cut when I was a youngster

Way too many days of seeing how fast I could go up and down those twisties. The good barbers could cut my low/med reg every sunday.