PDA

View Full Version : #Kony2012

ARay11
03-07-2012, 02:21 PM
Joseph Koney, leader of the LRA.
There is a massive internet campaign to broaden awareness of this person, his organization, and the efforts to capture him.

Just wondering if this guy would qualify as being worth spending our money to track down and bring to justice. kinda goes towards what I have seen talked about on a few other threads... we're having a tough enough time paying for our own citizens, can we afford to give assistance abroad? Can we help out a neighbor being threatened? Or should they handle it themselves...

just checkin the RTF pulse......;-)

menmon
03-07-2012, 04:36 PM
Joseph Koney, leader of the LRA.
There is a massive internet campaign to broaden awareness of this person, his organization, and the efforts to capture him.

Just wondering if this guy would qualify as being worth spending our money to track down and bring to justice. kinda goes towards what I have seen talked about on a few other threads... we're having a tough enough time paying for our own citizens, can we afford to give assistance abroad? Can we help out a neighbor being threatened? Or should they handle it themselves...

just checkin the RTF pulse......;-)

It is their problem...obvious if you can help without burdening your responsibilities or threatening the lives of your own, you should help those in need.

Jacob Hawkes
03-07-2012, 05:01 PM
That's a problem that we must fix. Make him famous.

http://t.co/ydvUqJ2N

ARay11
03-07-2012, 05:55 PM
That's a problem that we must fix. Make him famous.

Thanks for posting the link jacob...#1 on the ICC most wanted list....

Hew
03-07-2012, 06:02 PM
Thanks for posting that link. I'd never heard of the guy before today. He needs to be brought to justice; or as W says, justice will be brought to him.

A few thoughts...

- I have no qualms about the US sending a hundred Green Berets to help track down and kill the SOB. Given the dedication and righteousness of SF personnel, as a hunch, I would suspect they consider the mission important and worthwhile and are proud to be part of it.

- Another hunch, but given the tone of that video, I suspect that most of the organizers of this effort probably had very little use for the US military in general and the Iraq/A-Stan wars in particular. The irony of their cheering US military forces entering Uganda doesn't escape me. US soldiers stopping Kony = good. US soldiers stopping Saddam = bad. I guess some wars are chique and some aren't.

- They're genius guerrilla marketers. Targeting 20 opinion shapers to get them to mention Kony is pretty savy. Waiting until April 20th to plaster all their stickers, posters, signs, etc. is another stroke of brilliance.

- While I watched the entire video, I thought it was a little too self-indulgent and artsy-fartsy. Are you trying to reach the masses or impress your art house friends?

ARay11
03-07-2012, 06:08 PM
Thanks for posting that link. I'd never heard of the guy before today. He needs to be brought to justice; or as W says, justice will be brought to him.

A few thoughts...

- I have no qualms about the US sending a hundred Green Berets to help track down and kill the SOB. Given the dedication and righteousness of SF personnel, as a hunch, I would suspect they consider the mission important and worthwhile and are proud to be part of it.

- Another hunch, but given the tone of that video, I suspect that most of the organizers of this effort probably had very little use for the US military in general and the Iraq/A-Stan wars in particular. The irony of their cheering US military forces entering Uganda doesn't escape me. US soldiers stopping Kony = good. US soldiers stopping Saddam = bad. I guess some wars are chique and some aren't.

- They're genius guerrilla marketers. Targeting 20 opinion shapers to get them to mention Kony is pretty savy. Waiting until April 20th to plaster all their stickers, posters, signs, etc. is another stroke of brilliance.

- While I watched the entire video, I thought it was a little too self-indulgent and artsy-fartsy. Are you trying to reach the masses or impress your art house friends?

hew...after watching the video i was actually wondering if Kony was a real person or if this director dude was making all this crap up just to say "GOTCHA!" to the American people...for the very reasons you mentioned! After a bit of research, it appears he and his crimes are all too real. :(

Jacob Hawkes
03-07-2012, 07:37 PM

A few thoughts...

I had never heard of him until last night. It's a hot topic on Twitter. That's how I found out. It kept popping up so I decided to watch it this afternoon @ work.

Agree with most everything you said. They've certainly thought this through. I know it has a Facebook event for ULM on the night of April 20, 2012. It's crazy how fast this is spreading, but I believe it's a great thing. Those people have lived in fear for far too long.

I only disagree slightly about the video layout/etc. I found it engaging, but I believe it had to be like that to keep certain people's attention.

Julie R.
03-07-2012, 07:43 PM
Kony is definitely real and been around awhile, just not in the mainstream media. I applaud the efforts of those folks to put him in the spotlight, but sadly what he is doing is pretty much business as usual in much of sub Saharan Africa. I'm not sure sending in troops and killing him would do much good--there will be others to take his place.

Anyone even slightly familiar with post-colonial politics in many African countries knows thugs like Kony are everywhere. Some are even heads of state. In this country, we can voice our opinions freely, we go on the internet and rant when we don't like our government, maybe write a letter or two, and we vote. When the people in these thug-ruled countries become disenchanted with their leaders, those leaders and/or their cronies hunt them down, enslave them, brutalize and kill them regularly, and pretty much the standard option for dissidents is to form rebel groups to kill the leader and install an even more brutal leader.

Franco
03-08-2012, 04:11 PM
Joseph Kony can't be bad because Rush Limbaugh says he is the good guy!

From October 2011 the fat man sayith, Limbaugh.....

Lord's Resistance Army are Christians. It means God. I was only kidding. Lord's Resistance Army are Christians. They are fighting the Muslims in Sudan. And Obama has sent troops, United States troops to remove them from the battlefield, which means kill them. That's what the lingo means, "to help regional forces remove from the battlefield," meaning capture or kill. So that's a new war, a hundred troops to wipe out Christians in Sudan, Uganda, and -- (interruption) no, I'm not kidding. Jacob Tapper just reported it. "To remove dictatorship and stop the oppression of our people." Now, again Lord's Resistance Army is who Obama sent troops to help nations wipe out. The objectives of the Lord's Resistance Army, what they're trying to accomplish with their military action in these countries is the following: "To remove dictatorship and stop the oppression of our people; to fight for the immediate restoration of the competitive multiparty democracy in Uganda; to see an end to gross violation of human rights and dignity of Ugandans; to ensure the restoration of peace and security in Uganda, to ensure unity, sovereignty, and economic prosperity beneficial to all Ugandans, and to bring to an end the repressive policy of deliberate marginalization of groups of people who may not agree with the LRA ideology." Those are the objectives of the group that we are fighting, or who are being fought and we are joining in the effort to remove them from the battlefield.

ARay11
03-09-2012, 12:10 PM
John Russsell (the director) was on the Today show this morning being interviewed.

Two things stood out to me:

#1: Joseph Kony has fewer than 200 followers right now (Mr Russell could not tell us exactly how many fighters Kony has right now, it's been a while since they've seen him) ... how many think he has been marginalized? And how long since Kony has actually been a factor??

#2: According to Mr Russell... in his own words...

only about 32% of the funds his organization "Invisible Children" raises actually goes to the MISSION of finding the kids. Again...In His Own Words.... his organization spends money on
"THE MOVIE"
"THE MOVEMENT"
and then: "THE MISSION" (IN THAT ORDER)

So, how many here think this cat John Russell is in this for numero uno?
I could be wrong....but it sure looks like the release date (MARCH 5th, 2012)
comes AFTER Kony has been (at a minimum) marginalized and the US has already committed to taking care of the situation. NOW he wants to raise awareness??? Come in and start scooping up the cash??? Good thing Kony hasnt been caught yet.... it's the only way this guy is making money.

VIDEO Gone VIRAL.... Millions have already been donated...

“Invisible Children has been condemned time and time again. As a registered not-for-profit, its finances are public. Last year, the organization spent $8,676,614. Only 32% went to direct services (page 6), with much of the rest going to staff salaries, travel and transport, and film production. This is far from ideal, and Charity Navigator rates their accountability 2/4 stars because they haven’t had their finances externally audited. But it goes way deeper than that.”

You can evaluate Invisible Children’s 2011 budget (http://c2052482.r82.cf0.rackcdn.com/images/737/original/FY11-Audited%20Financial%20Statements.pdf?1320205055), which is public online, for yourself: $1,074,273 was allocated to travel and $1,724,993 was allocated to staff compensation.

Invisible Children replied to the criticism in a blog post (http://www.invisiblechildren.com.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/critiques.html) overnight Thursday, iterating its “three prong” approach to tackling the LRA: documenting crimes, channeling advocacy into energy and operating programs on the ground.
“In response to this explosion of interest about the Kony 2012 film, there have been hundreds of thousands of comments in support of the arrest of Joseph Kony and the work of Invisible Children. However, there have also been a few pieces written that are putting out false or mis-leading information about these efforts.”
Some Reddit users have been very involved (http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/qln68/am_i_the_only_one_who_is_suspicious_about/) in the discussion of the 30-minute documentary, raising similar questions and pointing out Invisible Children’s lack of compliance with the Better Business Bureau’s Wise Giving Alliance (http://www.bbb.org/charity-reviews/national/children-and-youth/invisible-children-in-san-diego-ca-4469).
“While participation in the Alliance’s charity review efforts is voluntary, the Alliance believes that failure to participate may demonstrate a lack of commitment to transparency,” states the organization’s evaluation.

Daniel J Simoens
03-09-2012, 12:27 PM
http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/click-on-uganda.jpg

Matt McKenzie
03-09-2012, 02:19 PM
Uh oh!

http://blog.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2012/03/07/guest_post_joseph_kony_is_not_in_uganda_and_other_ complicated_things

Hew
03-10-2012, 04:47 AM
http://www.mileanhour.com/files/2012/3/419706-747104220492-50102533-34919785-306566457-n.jpg

Too soon?

ARay11
03-10-2012, 11:53 AM
http://www.mileanhour.com/files/2012/3/419706-747104220492-50102533-34919785-306566457-n.jpg

Too soon?

Couldnt come out at a better time!!! ROFLMAO.... especially given all the FACTS now coming out!

Raymond Little
03-10-2012, 11:18 PM

Too soon?

Another sham by hollywood leftist to connect with our inner guilt.:rolleyes:

rzrbck
03-13-2012, 07:17 AM
For those who wish to send our troops down to that God forsaken place:

Isn't that what got us started in the Middle East in the first place? Let's go help someone else deal with their problems instead of focusing on our own?This situation will sadden most Americans and if not they probably don't have a heart however, IMO this is just a can of worms. One false move on our (military members') behalf and we have another Quran burning type scenario in a completely different part of the world.

Why not turn around and fix our country first? I'm not saying this to sound selfish but we have plenty that we can be doing right back in the good ol' US of A that would produce greater benefits for our children not someone elses. Lets work on our borders and economy to make sure that this could never happen on our soil. It is horrible and I'm thankful every day that I was born an Uh-murican but if we don't turn around and get ourselves back on track we're going to end up like one of those countries.

Good read btw, if you have a chance google Invisible Children's 2011 budget refer to page 6. May make you think twice before donating.

Matt McKenzie
03-13-2012, 09:55 AM
For those who wish to send our troops down to that God forsaken place:

Isn't that what got us started in the Middle East in the first place? Let's go help someone else deal with their problems instead of focusing on our own?This situation will sadden most Americans and if not they probably don't have a heart however, IMO this is just a can of worms. One false move on our (military members') behalf and we have another Quran burning type scenario in a completely different part of the world.

Why not turn around and fix our country first? I'm not saying this to sound selfish but we have plenty that we can be doing right back in the good ol' US of A that would produce greater benefits for our children not someone elses. Lets work on our borders and economy to make sure that this could never happen on our soil. It is horrible and I'm thankful every day that I was born an Uh-murican but if we don't turn around and get ourselves back on track we're going to end up like one of those countries.

Good read btw, if you have a chance google Invisible Children's 2011 budget refer to page 6. May make you think twice before donating.

Too late. We're already there.

mudminnow
03-13-2012, 02:12 PM
http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x439/philipchunt/kony.jpg