PDA

View Full Version : Romney/Huckabee

youngblood
03-08-2012, 04:29 PM
So I saw on Fox News that they thought Romney/Huckabee would be the combo to beat Obama out. Thoughts?

BonMallari
03-08-2012, 04:41 PM
who on Fox News threw that out there.....if Huck didnt have the stones to run for Pres. he aint going as second banana on the ticket....Chuck Norris aint getting any younger...Huckabee is fine where he is at, and Chuck can still sell the Total Gym

youngblood
03-08-2012, 04:58 PM
The analyst was saying that Romny would benefit from the working class votes Huckabee would bring in. I would agree with that but I dont think Huckabee would do it.

BonMallari
03-08-2012, 05:18 PM
Which analyst....

Gerry Clinchy
03-08-2012, 09:52 PM
At great risk in this group, I admit, while driving today, to listening to a portion of Rush L's show, since it was a sports game on my regular station.

I thought he made an interesting observation about electability of an R candidate.

First, he cited the average approval rating of Obama ... has been about 45% (via Gallup polling). No incumbent has been re-elected to office with an average approval rating of less than 50%. He points to how the mainstream media tries to deflect from that by adding in the polling of the "personal approval" of Obama. Essentially, the public thinks he's a nice guy, but they don't approve of his performance as President.

He also pointed posed the question, "When have the Rs won the Presidency with a 'moderate' candidate?" The closest one could get to that would be Nixon ... but the Vietnam war had a lot to do with that election. Even GW ran as an avowed conservative, even though he might have seemed more liberal to many Rs. The point made was that a "moderate" R cannot shake up loose enough of the Dem voters to not vote for the Dem candidate. A more "different" candidate can move both the Independents, and the Dems who are not happy with their party

Then a woman called in expressing support for Santorum (and saying she had voted for Kerry when he was a candidate). Her explanation was that both she and her 20-yr old daughter, were of a mind that it was time to vote for someone who had some strong moral convictions. It was their perception that the strongest candidate in that regard is Santorum. She identified herself as an Independent, not affiliated with either party; and not feeling beholden to vote for either R or D just because of party affiliation.

Now, if 84% of the voters believe in God (as polls seem to indicate), might her perception be shared by others, not just "Evangelicals", but those of many different faiths?

I still can't warm up to either Romney or Santorum, but looks like we'll end up with one of them. Paul and Gingrich may be able to impact the party platform, but can't see either one of them being the nominee.

Nate_C
03-08-2012, 11:14 PM
Sorry but Regan would be considered a Moderate today, even Bush Sr.

84% of people might believe in God but they don't mean it. It is just what they think they should say. When you look at % of people that attend worship services, read scriptures, obey the 10 commandments, have sex only in marriage.........ect..... they are much lower. People in America generally just give lip service to faith.

The big problem is that even though Obama is at 45% I cannot see people electing either Romney or Santorum. Personally I would vote Romney out of the three but he come off as unlikable and a snob. Rebublicans don't even like him, how is he going to win over independents. Santorum is way to Right. His religious views which deeply mix with his policy and his views toward women will turn voters off. Unfortunately I cannot see either one of them winning.

Gerry Clinchy
03-09-2012, 12:01 AM
Sorry but Regan would be considered a Moderate today

We might call him a moderate today, but back when he was elected, he would have been perceived as a conservative.