PDA

View Full Version : Implementing Obamacare

Gerry Clinchy
03-21-2012, 10:08 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/03/12/administration-releases-rules-for-signing-up-americans-to-obamas-health-care/?intcmp=obinsite
This is published on Fox News, but it is an AP article

I am a bit confused by the mention first of 50 million uninsured (did they now include everyone who is unemployed). The figure used previously was always around 30 million. As you read further through the article, they then mention about 31 million uninsured. They never do explain about the "other" 20 million.

I love this part:

For things to go smoothly, state and federal officials must work together to verify private personal and financial details for millions of people, make sure that consumers are enrolled in the right health plan, and accurately calculate how much government aid, if any, each household is entitled to.

All that has to get done in hours, not weeks.

Can you really see govt agencies (state or federal) getting this accomplished in a couple of hours when 30 million (if that's an accurate #) hit the system? Even 1/2 that would be amazing for a govt operation.

Another group of uninsured people -- as many as 16 million low-income
Americans expected to qualify for Medicaid -- could also enter the system through their exchanges.

Aren't most of these people already getting Medicaid benefits?

The state exchanges themselves will determine the number and type of health plans offered to consumers, within broad standards set by the federal government. Plans will have to comply with marketing rules to ensure they are not trying to cherry-pick the healthiest customers in the state.

If the state exchanges are there for everyone who can't afford open market health insurance, how could the state-wide exchange "cherry-pick" customers?

Makes me think that any of these programs might be able to offer lower rates to people who don't use tobacco or are not overweight?

Did anyone ever make a provision for that in the whole law ... supposedly coverage cannot be denied due to pre-existing conditions, but what about rate variations? Are all rates the same for everyone? Did anybody read that part of the law before it was passed/signed?

To reduce paperwork, exchanges will rely on existing computer databases to verify basic personal information and eligibility. However, some key details, such as whether the consumer is a legal resident of the U.S., may have to be verified by the government. And the IRS will have final say on tax credits.

Hmm ... if the Fed govt can't find illegal residents now, I wonder what magic wand they will waive to identify them for this law?

menmon
03-21-2012, 10:15 AM
Obamacare is going to be like the Bush/Gore tie.

The supremes are going to vote the party line, so I would quit wasting energy on it.

troy schwab
03-21-2012, 10:18 AM
Described as "ambitious"......... more like laughable.......

BonMallari
03-21-2012, 10:50 AM
Obamacare is going to be like the Bush/Gore tie.

The supremes are going to vote the party line, so I would quit wasting energy on it.

Thank goodness its not Diana and the gals:razz::razz:

Well then we all wait for Justice Kennedy to decide the fate of the nation;)

menmon
03-21-2012, 10:58 AM
Thank goodness its not Diana and the gals:razz::razz:

Well then we all wait for Justice Kennedy to decide the fate of the nation;)

I guess so....they have voted that way through all the lower courts...why should this be different?

coachmo
03-21-2012, 12:24 PM
We can only hope!