PDA

View Full Version : "Confidential" Remarks to Medvedev

Gerry Clinchy
03-27-2012, 11:19 AM
So what do you think about the remarks that came over the mic that Obama thought was not "live" yesterday, at the defense summit?

I noted that the remarks apparently were made after O and M had already had a bilateral meeting. I'm just really amazed that O wasn't able to find a more private setting for such communication. Really poor judgment to so obviously put his hand over the mic, and then make this private statement to M. Even if the mic hadn't been live, would the remarks have been overheard by someone who was not supposed to hear them?

For those who haven't heard the remarks:

Obama could be heard saying, "On all these issues, but particularly missile defense, this, this can be solved but it's important for him to give me space."

Medvedev responds in English, "Yeah, I understand. I understand your message about space. Space for you..."

Obama then brings up a frank statement about timing and what he can get done, "This is my last election. After my election I have more flexibility."

Medvedev replies, "I understand. I will transmit this information to Vladimir," a reference to the next Russian President-elect Valdimir Putin.

Since building up of missile defense in Europe is a major issue between US and Russia, I'm guessing that our European allies aren't too pleased with these comments either.

How many other issues is O trying to schmooze over with the promise of more "flexibility" (I admit to subconsciously, or consciously, reading this word as "concession-ability") after his re-election?

M&K's Retrievers
03-27-2012, 11:33 AM
He doesn't have a clue. He's in way over his head with marginal advisers. When/if he does get good advice he must ignore it or purposely do the opposite.

Coveyrise64
03-27-2012, 11:58 AM
He'd sell us out in a heart beat if it would further his agenda........! :(

cr

HPL
03-27-2012, 12:02 PM
Does kinda make my hair stand on end, but at the same time, one has to wonder if there is some other agenda going on here. Surely he would realize what that remark would sound like and surely there would have been an opportunity to suggest that kind of back room deal in, well, a back room. Just don't know what to think! Huge gaffe if not intentional and can't figure out where the advantage would be if intentional.

charly_t
03-27-2012, 03:28 PM
He doesn't have a clue. He's in way over his head with marginal advisers. When/if he does get good advice he must ignore it or purposely do the opposite.

Yes, Sir. I said a long time ago that he did not know what game he had bought chips in.