PDA

View Full Version : Stupid thought, but Ill throw it out there anyway....

troy schwab
03-28-2012, 02:25 PM
After hearing about Newt's, Romney's, and several other high profile peoples sources of income.......... i.e. Speaking engagements, which they are paid ridiculous sums of money for...... Had me wondering..... Are they issued 1099's for these "engagements". I would bet my paycheck, that 99% of that money (income) goes untaxed as well...... Has anyone ever heard of or know of 1099 (miscellaneous income) that has been claimed by these high profile idiots???? Just wondering out loud.

Matt McKenzie
03-28-2012, 02:36 PM
Maybe you should have stopped with the first two words in the subject line. Wow.

troy schwab
03-28-2012, 03:09 PM
Maybe you should have stopped with the first two words in the subject line. Wow.

I actually thought about it.....LOL But if I remember right I think it was Kerry who had like 1.7 million from speaking engagements in one year..... think about that as a source of taxable income...... times.... however many of these jokers exist.......

BonMallari
03-28-2012, 03:11 PM
They are most likely paid like someone who is hiring a band or some stand up comic...the fee is actually paid to a management company who is their booking agent...its not like someone is chunking down a briefcase of money as they walk out the door...also guessing with some high profile individuals that don't really need the money, have their fees paid to an LLC or some other trust fund,or even directly to their campaign....

Matt McKenzie
03-28-2012, 03:42 PM
Troy, I apologize. That was a smart-a$$ comment that was uncalled for. I've let myself get a little to amped up by all the tax talk and Treyvon talk. I guess I need to take a break.

troy schwab
03-28-2012, 03:51 PM
No biggie man....... I thought it was ridiculous too..... hence the title. I do REALLY wonder about this though. Thats a lot of money. I get kickbacks (spiffs) from the leasing companies I deal with..... this year, my 1099's totaled about 10K. Needless to say Im paying the government this year, while my single mom deadbeat co-worker gets back $7,900..... more than she paid in......makes ya a little sour too........

FOM
03-28-2012, 05:39 PM
No biggie man....... I thought it was ridiculous too..... hence the title. I do REALLY wonder about this though. Thats a lot of money. I get kickbacks (spiffs) from the leasing companies I deal with..... this year, my 1099's totaled about 10K. Needless to say Im paying the government this year, while my single mom deadbeat co-worker gets back $7,900..... more than she paid in......makes ya a little sour too........

Well you can tell her she is welcome! Grrrr...I claim 0 and so does my husband on our W2 and we still owe $8k....I'm not a happy camper! We supposedly make too much money? I would agree we make good money and we live a modest life style, but we are by no means rolling in the big bucks...<sigh>

huntinman
03-28-2012, 05:59 PM
Troy, if someone is willing to pay them... what does it matter if they are speaking, standing up there looking dumb or barking at the moon. It is America... there is a demand and they are the supply. They will make what the market is willing to bear and not a dime more. The higher the profile, the higher the speaking fee... I can guarantee they pay taxes on it. Unless the want Uncle Barack and his goon squad after them...