PDA

View Full Version : We're number one!

Matt McKenzie
03-31-2012, 06:42 AM
http://blog.heritage.org/2012/03/30/no-fooling-u-s-now-has-highest-corporate-tax-rate-in-the-world/
And they wonder why companies are moving overseas. High taxes and high labor costs are two platforms of the Democrat Party. Both are economy killers. Like they say, "it ain't rocket surgery".

paul young
03-31-2012, 08:10 AM
OK!

one problem at a time- we'll just cut everyones wages by 50% so we can compete with cheap overseas labor. EVERYONE'S!!!! from the U.S. President to the guy working for minimum wage. no exceptions!

WHADDAYA SAY,HOOKY? YA READY FOR THAT?????

then we can get started on the tax code. NO EXEMPTIONS, NO TAX CREDITS, NO INCENTIVES FOR DEVELOPING NEW BUSINESS, NO SUBSIDIES. 20% ACROSS THE BOARD. CORPORATE TAXES AS WELL AS PERSONAL INCOME TAX AND CAPITAL GAINS.

then, truly, we will live in Cuba.-Paul

Buzz
03-31-2012, 02:47 PM
OK!

one problem at a time- we'll just cut everyones wages by 50% so we can compete with cheap overseas labor. EVERYONE'S!!!! from the U.S. President to the guy working for minimum wage. no exceptions!

then we can get started on the tax code. NO EXEMPTIONS, NO TAX CREDITS, NO INCENTIVES FOR DEVELOPING NEW BUSINESS, NO SUBSIDIES. 20% ACROSS THE BOARD. CORPORATE TAXES AS WELL AS PERSONAL INCOME TAX AND CAPITAL GAINS.

Good luck on the oil subsidy.

Matt McKenzie
03-31-2012, 04:24 PM
OK!

Really? I know you aren't stupid, so you can't actually think that I am suggesting those things. But that's a pretty standard tactic. Kinda like the Dems saying that Republicans who support the Ryan budget want seniors to have to chose between food and medicine. It's so much easier than having a conversation about the issues. Just today on the radio I was listening to the President talking about rich people who don't pay their "fair share" and the old BS about billionaires and their secretaries. And how it's "common sense" for rich people to pay more than they are paying. Unfortunately, the dumb masses buy this garbage lock, stock and barrel.
There used to be a couple of guys on here who I would consider liberal, but who actually gave intelligent arguments for their positions on the issues. I learned a lot from them and actually adjusted my position on a few things because of them.
I'm sure they got tired of coming around because they were in the minority and got abused a good bit, but it's too bad. I miss them. Now all we get from the left is Sambo's verbal diarrhea and this kind of stuff. It's really too bad.

HPL
03-31-2012, 06:43 PM
OK!

How 'bout we just start with the Pres and every elected official at the national level and see how that works first?

paul young
04-01-2012, 03:57 AM
if you want to compete with China, or any other developing nation in terms of labor costs, i don't think even a 50% across the board reduction in wages is sufficient to level the playing field.

you DO know what those people are willing to work for, right?

as far as the tax code does, i can't begin to count how many people on here are for a flat tax. my only spin on it was to include corporate taxes so we all bleed together. you know, share the pain. we hear about that ad nauseum from BOTH sides of the aisle.-Paul

Matt McKenzie
04-01-2012, 07:06 AM
if you want to compete with China, or any other developing nation in terms of labor costs, i don't think even a 50% across the board reduction in wages is sufficient to level the playing field.

you DO know what those people are willing to work for, right?

as far as the tax code does, i can't begin to count how many people on here are for a flat tax. my only spin on it was to include corporate taxes so we all bleed together. you know, share the pain. we hear about that ad nauseum from BOTH sides of the aisle.-Paul

Paul,
I'm certainly not for cutting wages. In fact, I'm not for the Federal government having any input into wages for private firms at all. I'm anti-minimum wage and believe in letting wages be set by market forces. My only point on wages is that we've seen many industries hurt by unreasonably high wages set by unions. We've seen all wages increase with every increase in the false floor (minimum wage). That, in conjunction with high corporate tax levels plus rapid advances in technology has seriously hurt our economy and led to higher unemployment. No, I don't think that these are the only factors affecting the unemployment rate. But they are significant and can be corrected to some degree. But what I see from the Democrats is a push to raise corporate tax rates even higher and they always seem ready to raise wages. Both of these moves would hurt our economy as a whole and thereby all of us individually to some degree.
Back to my comment on technology so that I'm not misunderstood. The rapid increase in technology in the aggregate has improved productivity while increasing unemployment.
Paul, I will gladly discuss these issues if you disagree with me, but would prefer that we keep it rational and civil. As far as the flat tax, Fairtax or any other income tax structure, I'll discuss those, as well, if you like.

Hew
04-01-2012, 07:09 AM
Nobody with two brain cells to rub together is contending that we need to compete with China for cheap labor. China was pretty smart and recognized that they couldn't be the "cheap labor" place for long and started transitioning to heavier manufacturing. India and Indonesia now "out-cheap" China. Cheap labor is not a sustainable route for any country.

But we could certainly be more competitive with oversease companies. One way to do that would be to lower corporate tax rates so that the goods/services a corp. produces can compete better on the global market. If two companies are making comparable quality widgets and trying to sell them globally you can certainly understand why the widget from a company from a low corporate tax country would be cheaper than the widget made in the USA.

Ham and egger consumers are the ones who ultimately pay corporate taxes or reap corporate subsidies. Beyond that, corporate taxes are regressive in nature (i.e. the poor consumers pay more than the rich consumers). For example, if the govt. raises the corporate tax rate of Skittles (or Skillets as Rev. Al calls 'em :p) by 10% then Skittles just raises the price of their product by 10% to cover the cost of the tax. If Bill Gates eats roughly the same amounts of Skillets per year as a ham-n-egger like Sammy Saltmine then poor ol Sammy Saltmine felt those taxes a helluva lot more than Bill Gates did. Moreover, if the Sammy Saltmine works in the shipping room of Skittles, maybe he sees his time cut because less people are buying the Skittles because the prices were raised.

Matt McKenzie
04-01-2012, 07:23 AM
Nobody with two brain cells to rub together is contending that we need to compete with China for cheap labor. China was pretty smart and recognized that they couldn't be the "cheap labor" place for long and started transitioning to heavier manufacturing. India and Indonesia now "out-cheap" China. Cheap labor is not a sustainable route for any country.

But we could certainly be more competitive with oversease companies. One way to do that would be to lower corporate tax rates so that the goods/services a corp. produces can compete better on the global market. If two companies are making comparable quality widgets and trying to sell them globally you can certainly understand why the widget from a company from a low corporate tax country would be cheaper than the widget made in the USA.

Ham and egger consumers are the ones who ultimately pay corporate taxes or reap corporate subsidies. Beyond that, corporate taxes are regressive in nature (i.e. the poor consumers pay more than the rich consumers). For example, if the govt. raises the corporate tax rate of Skittles (or Skillets as Rev. Al calls 'em :p) by 10% then Skittles just raises the price of their product by 10% to cover the cost of the tax. If Bill Gates eats roughly the same amounts of Skillets per year as a ham-n-egger like Sammy Saltmine then poor ol Sammy Saltmine felt those taxes a helluva lot more than Bill Gates did. Moreover, if the Sammy Saltmine works in the shipping room of Skittles, maybe he sees his time cut because less people are buying the Skittles because the prices were raised.

But don't we want to punish the big, evil corporations? Or at least make them "pay their fair share?" Especially those evil oil companies. Don't I want to tap into some of those "record profits"? I don't care if the taxes they pay are passed on to me at the pump. I want to show them who's boss. I don't care if the 40% of what I pay at the pump goes to taxes and 9% goes to the oil company. It's the principle of the matter. They shouldn't be able to make billions providing the energy our country uses while my uncle Leroy is out of work. It just ain't right.

Franco
04-02-2012, 10:42 AM
What does having the highest coporate tax rate in the world have to do with the cost of labor in China?

If we continue to run corporations out of this country, then maybe I could see China type wages coming to America.

Hew
04-02-2012, 02:07 PM
What does having the highest coporate tax rate in the world have to do with the cost of labor in China?
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!? :p