PDA

View Full Version : Augusta National

Matt McKenzie
04-06-2012, 07:02 AM
Why is it so difficult for some people to understand that a private club has the right to exclude anyone for any reason? We can make assumptions about what their criteria may be and we may disagree with what we assume to be their policies, but at the end of the day, it's a private club and they can do what they want.
Why would our President feel the need to comment?

Quackwacker
04-06-2012, 07:09 AM
Because he is an Idiot.

That is all

huntinman
04-06-2012, 07:12 AM
Why is it so difficult for some people to understand that a private club has the right to exclude anyone for any reason? We can make assumptions about what their criteria may be and we may disagree with what we assume to be their policies, but at the end of the day, it's a private club and they can do what they want.

Pretty simple really... the prez and most libs view Augusta Nat'l as a symbol of all that is wrong with America. Oppressive, mean spirited old white men having their way at everyone elses expense. They want to tear down any symbol of the past or traditional America.

M&K's Retrievers
04-06-2012, 08:54 AM
Obama is probably just pi$$ed cause Augusta won't let him play.;)

BonMallari
04-06-2012, 11:00 AM
Augusta National has minority members, one notable in Vernon Jordan,but private country clubs are just that PRIVATE..heck Charley Pride once tried to join Royal Oaks CC on Dallas but was refused, he tried to buy the club, Lee Trevino was granted a membership, I was able to play but only as a guest of the pro....one day I got an invite to play the prestigious WASP club LA North in Bel Air, a man approached me in the parking lot and tried to give me his golf clubs thinking I was the cart attendant..I was dressed very well...he was embarrassed when he saw me on the practice tee warming up with some of the members..

the point being, when you pay money to join a club, you pay for exclusion, whether that be minorities or women...besides with Augusta the membership is invitational, just because you can afford to join doesnt mean you can, I can name at least a half dozen other famous venues that have tougher admission standards..the toughest is Shadow Creek in Las Vegas, it has ONE member...Steve Wynn ;)

cpj
04-06-2012, 03:13 PM
The president commented because he is pandering to women.

cripes
04-06-2012, 03:51 PM
Pretty simple really... the prez and most libs view Augusta Nat'l as a symbol of all that is wrong with America. Oppressive, mean spirited old white men having their way at everyone elses expense. They want to tear down any symbol of the past or traditional America.

Isn't that what tyrannical regimes are supposed to do?

ARay11
04-06-2012, 04:43 PM
I don't mind Augusta being all male. If they are forced to allow women, the Twentieth Century Club is in real trouble and would be a shame to see either of these institutions foundation rocked.

cpj
04-06-2012, 05:18 PM
Let women in, I'm dying to join the Junior League!!

Truman Ellis
04-06-2012, 05:35 PM

Bill, I agree with you. I too am Black and they want me play. If a club is private they have a right to draw the line who they will let play at their courses. I wouldn't let the Prez play at my club. You see I am a CONSERVATIVE BLACK and I am PROUD OF IT.

Truman

Eric Johnson
04-06-2012, 08:04 PM
The problem that Augusta has is that the new head of IBM is female.

The head of IBM has always been granted an honorary membership and IBM has always supported The Masters. Now they have a theoretical problem made critical by the fact that the female head of IBM is reported to be a golfer.

President Obama has simply seized on this quandry to try to make a point. I'd bet that the club would have handled by granting the honorary membership if it had not been made a public issue. Now the club can be seen to give in or of refusing and the President "wins" either way.

Eric

Gerry Clinchy
04-07-2012, 12:23 AM

The head of IBM has always been granted an honorary membership and IBM has always supported The Masters. Now they have a theoretical problem made critical by the fact that the female head of IBM is reported to be a golfer.

President Obama has simply seized on this quandry to try to make a point. I'd bet that the club would have handled by granting the honorary membership if it had not been made a public issue. Now the club can be seen to give in or of refusing and the President "wins" either way.

Eric

Interesting!

BonMallari
04-07-2012, 12:46 AM

Eric

the Masters can do without IBM, remember a few years back when Martha Burke had sponsors boycott the tournament, the members had no problem underwriting the expense of the telecast...The Masters is the toughest sporting event to get a ticket to attend, and next to the Super Bowl its one of the highest rated every year (especially if TW is in the mix)

the beauty of the Masters is that they choose to be non political, while the media tries to make them one..I actually think its one tournament that the pros would play whether they gave away prize money or not

road kill
04-07-2012, 06:18 AM
the Masters can do without IBM, remember a few years back when Martha Burke had sponsors boycott the tournament, the members had no problem underwriting the expense of the telecast...The Masters is the toughest sporting event to get a ticket to attend, and next to the Super Bowl its one of the highest rated every year (especially if TW is in the mix)

the beauty of the Masters is that they choose to be non political, while the media tries to make them one..I actually think its one tournament that the pros would play whether they gave away prize money or not

Martha Burke is the driving force behind this.
There is no controversy other than her.

RK

zeus3925
04-07-2012, 08:43 AM
Wouldn't waste my time playing that stupid game. Bad attitude? Maybe. But, the local "country club's" discrimination against those that shared my religious belief cut short my interest early on in ever setting foot on one of those over groomed cow pastures.

Matt McKenzie
04-07-2012, 09:32 AM
Wouldn't waste my time playing that stupid game. Bad attitude? Maybe. But, the local "country club's" discrimination against those that shared my religious belief cut short my interest early on in ever setting foot on one of those over groomed cow pastures.

Me too. Lots of my friends play the game, but I'm just not interested. Maybe because I'm afraid I'll like it and I already have too many expensive hobbies. What those clubs chose to do is none of my business. On the other hand, if they would set aside a day or two each week for dog training on the course, I might be interested in joining. Some of the courses around here have great water!

mngundog
04-07-2012, 11:48 AM
In recent years the Masters has very similar rating to the Kentucky Derby, Daytona 500, Olymipics and a some of the higher profile regular season football games, its been awhile since its made it into the top 25 in most watched sporting events.

zeus3925
04-07-2012, 11:50 AM
Me too. Lots of my friends play the game, but I'm just not interested. Maybe because I'm afraid I'll like it and I already have too many expensive hobbies. What those clubs chose to do is none of my business. On the other hand, if they would set aside a day or two each week for dog training on the course, I might be interested in joining. Some of the courses around here have great water!

Actually I don't know where I would find the time to golf. Training dogs not only keeps me off the streets, it is in way of doing anything else. But, swatting a ball around a cow pasture while spoiling a good walk is last on my list. I do look at lust though with some of the great terrain and water for training some of these courses have.

TN_LAB
04-07-2012, 12:18 PM

Did somebody ask him about it? If so, I understand him commenting (just as with this thread...somebody asked, so i chimed in). If he simply volunteered a comment without being question, I can't help but wonder why he'd even bother worrying about it?

I'm all for folks trying to influence them, I just hope they don't legislate anything.

Blackstone
04-07-2012, 04:46 PM
I don’t play golf, so I don’t have the same reverence for the sanctity of the game’s traditions as some may. However, I do believe a private club should have the right to pick its members based on whatever criteria they choose. I think those that are opposed to what Augusta stands for are directing their ire at the wrong entity. If they are going to go after someone on this issue, they should go after the PGA for holding the event at a venue that excludes women. Maybe they should boycott the PGA unless they agreed to hold the Masters elsewhere.

mngundog
04-08-2012, 02:22 AM
If Augusta had a "no Blacks" or a "no Mexicans" policy do you think the PGA would be playing there?

BonMallari
04-08-2012, 02:53 AM
I donít play golf, so I donít have the same reverence for the sanctity of the gameís traditions as some may. However, I do believe a private club should have the right to pick its members based on whatever criteria they choose. I think those that are opposed to what Augusta stands for are directing their ire at the wrong entity. If they are going to go after someone on this issue, they should go after the PGA for holding the event at a venue that excludes women. Maybe they should boycott the PGA unless they agreed to hold the Masters elsewhere.

The Masters is not run by the PGA or the PGA Tour, it is strictly an invitational tournament and they control who they invite and who they give exemptions to, they can also univite people who have lifetime exemptions such as past winners, who are no longer able to shoot respectable scores to keep up with the field

If Augusta had a "no Blacks" or a "no Mexicans" policy do you think the PGA would be playing there?

as I stated earlier , it is probably the only tournament that the pros would play, even if there was no prize money....and there are minorities in the membership at Augusta, just no women

mngundog
04-08-2012, 03:19 AM
The Masters is not run by the PGA or the PGA Tour, it is strictly an invitational tournament and they control who they invite and who they give exemptions to, they can also univite people who have lifetime exemptions such as past winners, who are no longer able to shoot respectable scores to keep up with the field

as I stated earlier , it is probably the only tournament that the pros would play, even if there was no prize money....and there are minorities in the membership at Augusta, just no women
True it's not run by the PGA tour, just like the other four majors, my question was do you believe the PGA tour would be affliatted with the Masters if Augusta excluded a particular ethnic group.

cripes
04-08-2012, 06:20 AM
How many whites are in the black caucus? Does anyone else believe that it is outrageous for our elected officials to isolate THEMSELVES by race?

BonMallari
04-08-2012, 09:11 AM
True it's not run by the PGA tour, just like the other four majors, my question was do you believe the PGA tour would be affliatted with the Masters if Augusta excluded a particular ethnic group.

IMO, they would not...a few years ago maybe, but not in today's world

Blackstone
04-08-2012, 10:57 AM
The Masters is not run by the PGA or the PGA Tour, it is strictly an invitational tournament and they control who they invite and who they give exemptions to, . . . .

I guess that proves how much (or, actually how little) I know about golf. :D

Blackstone
04-08-2012, 10:58 AM

I believe that was the policy until 1990.

rboudet
04-08-2012, 12:46 PM

"Stupid Game" Wow yea that is a bad attitude and very rude, why would you say something like that? About anything. Why chime in on something you hate. Not sure what your religious belief is nor do I care, but there are many many private and public courses open to anyone. Couldn't play the game could ya?

mngundog
04-08-2012, 02:12 PM
"Stupid Game" Wow yea that is a bad attitude and very rude, why would you say something like that? About anything. Why chime in on something you hate. Not sure what your religious belief is nor do I care, but there are many many private and public courses open to anyone. Couldn't play the game could ya?

You must be new to POTUS, people chime in all the time about things they hate. If you don't believe me try saying something positive about Obama and see what responses you get. :D

road kill
04-08-2012, 02:40 PM
You must be new to POTUS, people chime in all the time about things they hate. If you don't believe me try saying something positive about Obama and see what responses you get. :D

Hmmmmmmmmm, that's a tough one.

Nothing comes to mind!!!!;-)

RK

BonMallari
04-08-2012, 03:11 PM
in honor of the true meaning and significance of Easter Sunday, I am going to refrain from anymore political talk today, enjoy the Masters, and then go to work and wait on all the heathens in a city that has very few morals and thrives on many vices

Happy Easter to all my RTF POTUS members, whether you observe the day or not

Novemberwitch
04-08-2012, 03:37 PM
I don't have a problem with a "private" club being all male.
I am sure that there is "private" club somewhere that is all female.
I see nothing wrong with that.

road kill
04-09-2012, 02:14 PM
What a tremendous finish to the GREATEST golf tournament.

The Tiger era is over!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bg8lSyGavc4

RK

BonMallari
04-09-2012, 02:26 PM
it was a great day for the game of golf....in many ways Tiger is the BEST thing and the WORST thing to ever come to golf....he brought the game to a level we may never see again and drug it to the depth we hope we never see again...

there was a lot of spectacular moments on Sunday, lots of golfers had their chance

Bubba played great,so did Louis Oosthuizen....golf was the big winner on Sunday

zeus3925
04-11-2012, 08:31 AM

There were no public links in drivable distances in the 50's when my "attitude" was formed. Never tried golf and never will! Can't say I "hate" the game, but, it is definitely not interesting to me.