PDA

View Full Version : New Texas Flashlight/gun Nifty!

Mary Lynn Metras
04-10-2012, 11:08 AM
FYI

http://videos2view.net/texas-light.htm#.TpjYMP3QiMM.aolmail

HPL
04-10-2012, 10:25 PM
Why Texas? Looks more like a Florida special to me.

HPL

Brian Cockfield
04-10-2012, 11:11 PM
This isn't the first flashlight/handgun design I have seen. While devices like these are "cool", I see no purpose for such an item to ever be sold to the general public. Deception is the only thing devices like these have going for them. I'm speaking from a law enforcement perspective, but if someone disagrees with me, please explain a good reason to have something like this.

Hew
04-11-2012, 04:36 AM
Deception is the only thing devices like these have going for them. I'm speaking from a law enforcement perspective, but if someone disagrees with me, please explain a good reason to have something like this.
One man's "deception" is another man's "concealment." To me, there's no difference between a firearm hidden from view within a flashlight contraption and a firearm hidden from view beneath a pant leg in an ankle holster. What, if at all, do you think is the practical distinction?

Brian Cockfield
04-11-2012, 04:46 AM
One man's "deception" is another man's "concealment." To me, there's no difference between a firearm hidden from view within a flashlight contraption and a firearm hidden from view beneath a pant leg in an ankle holster. What, if at all, do you think is the practical distinction?
The practical distinction is that in "plain view", not concealed, this item and some of the other designs I've seen look like a flashlight. I'm all about gun rights, etc. but look at this from a law enforcement perspective, would you get a warm fuzzy about designs like this? The other design I've seen looks much more like an actual flashlight and can be fired with what looks like the on/off switch.

Hew
04-11-2012, 05:00 AM
The practical distinction is that in "plain view", not concealed, this item and some of the other designs I've seen look like a flashlight. I'm all about gun rights, etc. but look at this from a law enforcement perspective, would you get a warm fuzzy about designs like this? The other design I've seen looks much more like an actual flashlight and can be fired with what looks like the on/off switch.
I'd disagree that the gun is in "plain view." It cannot be fired while folded up, and is therefore in no more "plain view" or no more of a threat than if the gun were concealed within a shopping bag.

I will concede that your 2nd example of the flashlight (and perhaps even a better example: the walking cane that fires a single shot) are different scenarios to which I'm more open-minded about. But in general, I'll reflexively side with gun rights proponents; even at the expense of making LEOs and civilians a little more nervous.

Brian Cockfield
04-11-2012, 05:11 AM
The fact that it can't be fired from the closed position does make a big difference so I see your point but I still don't like the idea of a flashlight gun but again I'm looking at it strictly from a LE perspective. I could provide some examples of scenarios but I don't see the point in arguing on the subject any further.

Mary Lynn Metras
04-12-2012, 05:16 PM
Not agreeing that this is a necessary item to have I just thought it was interesting someone is making or thinking about this. It is nifty but not necessary. Guns such as this in the wrong hands are nothing but trouble IMO.

HPL
04-12-2012, 06:36 PM
It's pretty cool, but looked like very poor muzzle control when deploying and collapsing.

Blackstone
04-12-2012, 06:49 PM
Interesting design, but a regular .40 Glock will do just fine.