PDA

View Full Version : Going Postal... or not....

ARay11
04-18-2012, 05:15 PM
Thoughts on the USPS? Mail sorting stations are scheduled to be closed... bar code readers installed are designed to operate 10-12 hours each day only running about 1/3 of each day, perhaps no mail on Saturday?
If this were a "business" I believe they may be holding the buggy whip.

Joe Dutro
04-18-2012, 05:57 PM
Something needs done. I sent a check up to NY on February 23. They received it April 12.
I could have walked it there quicker.

HPL
04-18-2012, 06:43 PM
I use the USPS all the time. I ship several hundred DVD's and CD's by USPS every year, usually in lots of 15-20 at at time and am pretty happy with the cost and service. I have only had a few (probably less than one a year) items not get where they were going expeditiously and intact. For a while they were overcharging me, but that was due to a poor trainer and we have gotten that corrected.

ErinsEdge
04-18-2012, 07:07 PM
I have had good luck with USPS also. I have been using them for my business for about 14 years. Only twice have packages been "lost" and turned up late. Two were parcel post and stuck in Chicago over the holidays and one was delivered by the postman but stolen. Sometimes the people try to say they didn't get it but I have so many that do so in a timely fashion, I think they are just trying to get a second product because it's usually on some really inexpensive toys. All of my packages have tracking now because of the fake "I didn't get it people." Letters sometimes do get delayed but packages are really pretty good.

troy schwab
04-18-2012, 07:35 PM
Just another prime example of government over spending. Over paid old people doing a moronic job. Should have been fixed years ago.....too late. Shut em down...I could care less

BonMallari
04-18-2012, 08:00 PM
Just another prime example of government over spending. Over paid old people doing a moronic job. Should have been fixed years ago.....too late. Shut em down...I could care less

easy there pal, one of my uncles is a postal carrier, its a tough thankless job..the internet and the cell phone have made snail mail almost obsolete...now the Postal service has made some very poor management decisions such as sponsoring sporting events like Lance Armstrong's cycling team, but they have also let themselves being taken over by a union whose benefits and payouts far exceed the revenue taken in...

like many other services its probably time for the government to get out of the mail business and turn it over to a private firm..after all who else is going to deliver the fruitcakes at Christmas time to small town America

luvmylabs23139
04-18-2012, 08:42 PM
They should get rid of Sat delivery. They also should get rid of the law that says fedex ups etc can't charge less than the post office for packages. That's downright wrong.
I never use the post ofice for packages. Lines are long, they are slow, unreliable.
Much less hassle to go to my local UPS store plus I can track my package.

Joe Dutro
04-18-2012, 09:48 PM
I guess I should add that we use USPS for small packages and have had good results. We always use delivery confirmation though.

The check I mentioned was lost in the mail for over 7 weeks another one was lost for 5 weeks. Both ended up showing up but I spent $60 in stop payment charges and had to resend new checks.

Part of the reason they are in the red is because they are too cheap in comparison with UPS. We sent out a package the other day- UPS was over $13.00- USPS was $7.65.

troy schwab
04-18-2012, 09:53 PM
easy there pal, one of my uncles is a postal carrier, its a tough thankless job..the internet and the cell phone have made snail mail almost obsolete...now the Postal service has made some very poor management decisions such as sponsoring sporting events like Lance Armstrong's cycling team, but they have also let themselves being taken over by a union whose benefits and payouts far exceed the revenue taken in...

like many other services its probably time for the government to get out of the mail business and turn it over to a private firm..after all who else is going to deliver the fruitcakes at Christmas time to small town America

No offense intended Bon..... actually my best friends dad is the postmaster at my local post office. I would say the same to his face....u are spot on with the union thing....he is expecting them to shut down our local office in the next few years...he is 60 something and ready to retire anyway. Sorry if I offended anyone.....must be the Nuge in me.....rofl

Buzz
04-19-2012, 07:54 AM
I think in my 51 years, I have had one letter sent to me show up about a year late. The envelope looked like it had jammed in somewhere, it was all crinkled and dirty. I was shocked that it actually was found and delivered. In our business we send out probably 6000 pieces of mail each year. In the last 12 years I can remember maybe 1 or 2 that people claimed did not come. But often when something like that happens when we use UPS with tracking (we probably send 2000 packages by UPS each year), it turns out that the package was delivered to the business we were sending to, but it didn't make it between the front door and the desk of the addressee.

If the postal service ever goes private, those who live in rural or remote areas can expect to see their rates increase and service decrease.

Raymond Little
04-19-2012, 12:21 PM
I think in my 51 years, I have had one letter sent to me show up about a year late. The envelope looked like it had jammed in somewhere, it was all crinkled and dirty. I was shocked that it actually was found and delivered. In our business we send out probably 6000 pieces of mail each year. In the last 12 years I can remember maybe 1 or 2 that people claimed did not come. But often when something like that happens when we use UPS with tracking (we probably send 2000 packages by UPS each year), it turns out that the package was delivered to the business we were sending to, but it didn't make it between the front door and the desk of the addressee.

If the postal service ever goes private, those who live in rural or remote areas can expect to see their rates increase and service decrease.

Buzz, I have had mostly good service from the USPS but cringe at having to go there during the rush when only one person is behind the counter and 25 are inline. Most rural areas are already recieving their mail through a contract carrier so I doubt there will be much disruption.

road kill
04-19-2012, 12:28 PM
I belong to the Postal Consumer Council.
We have meetings monthly (or so).
The USPS expects to have 60% of thier plants closed in the next 4 years.
They also have an aggresive plan to close local post offices that have small amounts of traffic.
The other posts about reduction in operation time on Merlin (bar code pre-sort readers) and other sorting and iMB readers is true.
They feel the savings on labor will be huge.
These machines do not run 24/7 anyways!
1 shift is adequate if managed properly.
They also feel this will not affect delivery schedules.

A giant hit they are taking is gas prices.
It is devastating to them.

Regardless of what the progressives tell you and dream about on a nightly basis the United States of America runs on gasoline, not wind and solar!!
Disney World is awesome, but it's make believe!!!;-)

RK

Matt McKenzie
04-19-2012, 12:42 PM
The private sector could do it better, cheaper. But I agree that there likely would be some drop in service to those in very remote areas.
I dread walking into the post office but never have a bad experience at the UPS store. Had to go to the post office day before yesterday and after standing inline for about 10 minutes (there are two open registers), I get to the front of the line to find that only one accepts credit or debit. The other is cash only. There are about 10 of us in line and nobody is using cash. So we all wait for the one that accepts plastic while the lady at the other register sits and waits. Now I understand that every business deals with tech problems, but it seems that there is always something to make the experience painful when I go to the post office.
My opinion: get the fed out of parcel delivery, transportation (Amtrak), and education.

huntinman
04-19-2012, 01:20 PM
The private sector could do it better, cheaper. But I agree that there likely would be some drop in service to those in very remote areas.
I dread walking into the post office but never have a bad experience at the UPS store. Had to go to the post office day before yesterday and after standing inline for about 10 minutes (there are two open registers), I get to the front of the line to find that only one accepts credit or debit. The other is cash only. There are about 10 of us in line and nobody is using cash. So we all wait for the one that accepts plastic while the lady at the other register sits and waits. Now I understand that every business deals with tech problems, but it seems that there is always something to make the experience painful when I go to the post office.
My opinion: get the fed out of parcel delivery, transportation (Amtrak), and education.

and health care!

Gerry Clinchy
04-19-2012, 01:24 PM
I think that the USPS does a good job for the volume it handles. BTW, UPS and USPS cooperate with each other. USPS delivers some of UPS's parcels :-) Found that out by accident at the PO one day.

I think we could all do fine without Sat. delivery. There is still a need for national postal service. I can recall dealing with customers in Canada, and they were quick to catch onto fax machines when they came out since Canada's postal service was very unreliable back then (don't know if it's improved or not).

And we DO forget that there are still areas of the country that don't use email and depend on the USPS. I know several people who still don't have email. I was on dial-up for a LONG time! Verizon didn't know I existed, even when my neighbors had DSL. It took me two weeks just to convince them that there was DSL right next door to me. I imagine it's even more difficult in more remote areas.

I also learned that old phone lines to more less densely populated areas are not always reliable for internet service. Cost-cutting measures by the phone companies have those areas at the bottom of their list for replacement as cost/household is high when there are fewer homes. And, the same is true of local cable companies. Cable remains a monopoly in many areas since it is not economical for a new company to string new line in less densely populated areas where there is already an existing company in service. The existing company knows they are a monopoly, so they don't expend their $ in giving much service consideration to those areas.

helencalif
04-23-2012, 01:58 AM
I live in a rural mountain area. I rely on the postal services provided by a small 2-room post office in a tiny building about the size of a single car garage. This little post office has one employee who serves as post mistress. She does everything. It is open Mon-Friday 8 to 5. I drive 3 1/2 miles from my house to ship packages, buy stamps, and send certified or special mail. The post office is not in a "town", it IS the town and serves a small community. I don't know how many post office boxes it has, but I am guessing about 50.

It also serves as an important communication center. When you live in the mountains, wildfires are always a danger. When there are fires, current news about them is available at the post office along with updated maps showing fire locations.

Three months ago there was a notice saying that this little post office was on USPS's list of closures. A public meeting was held. Nobody in the area wants the post office to close.

However, the handwriting is on the wall.

In a letter the USPS suggested the community does not really need this post office even though there is no delivery service to residences which is why all have post office boxes. The USPS suggested that the residents drive 17 miles to a post office in a town for their postal needs, including getting their mail. Not so sure the post office in that town 17 miles away has post office boxes to accommodate 50 new customers which means the p.o. will have to install at least 50 new ones.

Remember this is a rural mountain area that gets snow from December through March. I don't see how folks are going to be driving on icy, snowy mountain roads 34 miles round trip to get their mail. They sure aren't going to be making daily trips to get their mail.

I just don't see how closing this small post office is going to save the USPS a lot of money. The one employee it has now will probably be reassigned to work in the post office 17 miles away. I guess the USPS will save on the electric bill.

Helen

helencalif
04-23-2012, 02:12 AM
Last week I watched a hearing on C-span (either house or senate) on what the Post Master General plans to do to save money because it is deeply in debt. Closing post offices and mail distribution centers is high on his list as is going to 5-day delivery service. Rate increases are also planned, but the costs were not mentioned during the hearing.

It was said more than once that the financial problems the USPS has is having too many employees for the amount of mail now being processed plus the generous pension program for the USPS. Another problem the USPS is having is injury lawsuits and apparently there are a lot of employees getting disability pay, but are not working.

They also reported in the hearing that the postal union suggested that the USPS raise postal fees rather than cut jobs and benefits.

The deadline is May 15 for the governmental committee to come up with ideas. The post master general starts closing post offices and distribution centers on May 16. I don't know when 5-day delivery service is planned to go into effect.

Helen