PDA

View Full Version : Mom and Pop Stores

Jason Glavich
04-23-2012, 11:35 AM
So every now an again I try to shop local. So over the course of the past week i have went into 3 different stores that all do the same type of work. Each time I have been met with people who do not want my money.

So here is what i was doing.

Buying a small engine carb rebuild kit. Each time I asked to order it, even agreeing to paying them to intall it, I got nowhere.
Shop A: That is not the right motor for that Tractor
Reponse to A: Ok, I agree(even though it is not true). Can we order the part based on the motor and carb?
Shop A: Nah it is a generator motor we do not do that. (I would love to find a place with some knowledge of their trade)

Shop B: They do not make those parts anymore
Response B: Sure they do I can buy them online from several places.
Shop B: Then you should buy it online, it will be cheaper and get delivered to your door.
Response B: I know that but I was hoping to buy it from here, even if I have to pay a little more.
Shop B: I cannot get those parts though. We only buy parts for brands X,Y,Z
Response B: I understand that, the part I am looking for is the same as the part for X,Y,Z so they will work. Even if they do not I am willing to order it and take the chance, if it is wrong it is my fault.
Shop B: Well since you can order it online I suggest you do that.
Response: Will you install it for me?
Shop B: How can we install a part we cannot order.
Response B: Sorry i forgot that, have a good day.

Best part is as I leave I see the same motor I need parts for on another tractor for sale in the parking lot, with a maintenance plan available...(avoid costly repairs by enrolling in our plan type thing.)

All I want to do it spend the money. I will be ordering the part online now, I will do the work myself. I would have gladly let them order it online same place as me and paid a markup. But now I will never be back.

3rd one was a power coating company.
Asked if they could blast then coat a piece of equipment, sure send us a few pics for a quote. I did just that and they said it was too much work. I said ok how much. They said too much as in they do not want to quote it, or do the work on it. I replied by saying I was fine with paying more as I knew it would take a lot of work to get it right. They said no thanks and hung up.

I found the solution, I found the guy who was hungry for work, he will be getting all of my business from here on out. Good price with a good work ethic, which in may case was just wanting the work. Come to find out he is backed up, I am ok with waiting.

Rant over.

Oh wait, Maybe I should have worn video sunglasses during these visits....lol

helencalif
04-23-2012, 12:03 PM
About your experiences, I am wondering. The person behind the counter... ? Was it Mom or Pop or was it a disinterested employee?

Helen

Jason Glavich
04-23-2012, 12:38 PM
About your experiences, I am wondering. The person behind the counter... ? Was it Mom or Pop or was it a disinterested employee?

Helen

In each of the places they went and talked to the bossman, who came to the same conclusion.

And yes I know I am a factor in this as well. I am a pain I know, I am really a pain when i am at a business that should have a certain level of knowledge, or one would hope they do and they do not. It frustrates me majorly.

BonMallari
04-23-2012, 01:01 PM
I live in a big city where the mom and pop store is almost non existent....but when I go to Idaho or TX I am reminded how most of America actually is, where mom/pop stores are members of your community,neighbors,parents of your childrens friends..kind of the Americana that made this country great, the place where the Ace hardware guy not only sold you the tools to fix whatever, he had someone in his family to help you out if not do it himself

Jason Glavich
04-23-2012, 01:03 PM
I live in a big city where the mom and pop store is almost non existent....but when I go to Idaho or TX I am reminded how most of America actually is, where mom/pop stores are members of your community,neighbors,parents of your childrens friends..kind of the Americana that made this country great, the place where the Ace hardware guy not only sold you the tools to fix whatever, he had someone in his family to help you out if not do it himself

I like Ace, the guy I talked to there was not included in this thankfully. He wanted to help but no longer stocked or ordered the parts due to there being so many. He was helpful in telling me a few places to look. But he did warn me that those places may not yield very good results. Man was he right.

charly_t
04-23-2012, 04:02 PM
This reminds me of my trying to buy a part for Mother-in-law's sewing machine one time. The part fit from one brand to the other but the "help" in the store ( parts department ) where I went refused to order the part for me.
Crazy world we live in.

twall
04-23-2012, 04:52 PM
I try to shop local businesses when I can. More often than not I don't give them business because of poor, or no service.

The sewing machine story made me smile. I don't remember who but someone had bought my daughter a very simple, inexpensive Singer sewing machine. It very quickly broke. But, we have a Singer dealer in town. When my wife took the sewing machine in the owner told her since we didn't buy it from him he wouldn't fix!

A few years later my wife decided to start sewing. Guess where we didn't go to buy a sewing machine??

Tom

Thomas D
04-23-2012, 06:16 PM
I have has similar experiences.
Not to make excuses, but I think the Mom and Pop stores have felt the pinch long enough to stop caring. They can't compete salary/benifits with the big chains, so some of the employees are less than adaquate. Most would sell out and quit if they could get a half way decent price for their business.

Jason Glavich
04-23-2012, 07:11 PM
I have has similar experiences.
Not to make excuses, but I think the Mom and Pop stores have felt the pinch long enough to stop caring. They can't compete salary/benifits with the big chains, so some of the employees are less than adaquate. Most would sell out and quit if they could get a half way decent price for their business.

This is a sad truth. I even offered te second place to show them where to buy it online. I would pay them plus let them mark up the parts and pay them to install them. They said the part would be too hard to find so they wouldn't do it. I offered them the job after I did the legwork. Looks like I'll be buying and installing it myself.

charly_t
04-23-2012, 09:14 PM
I try to shop local businesses when I can. More often than not I don't give them business because of poor, or no service.

The sewing machine story made me smile. I don't remember who but someone had bought my daughter a very simple, inexpensive Singer sewing machine. It very quickly broke. But, we have a Singer dealer in town. When my wife took the sewing machine in the owner told her since we didn't buy it from him he wouldn't fix!

A few years later my wife decided to start sewing. Guess where we didn't go to buy a sewing machine??

Tom

There is just something about those Singer people. Many years ago my youngest son and other students were selling ads for their school year book.
The students were required to get a signature from each business they visited. Simple verification of them having been there. The Singer store man ( one man business in this town ) refused to sign the list. I used to sew a lot but I started buying my supplies elsewhere.