PDA

View Full Version : Bank of America

Julie R.
04-23-2012, 01:56 PM
I keep hearing rumors on FB and elsewhere that BOA is muscling into the anti-gun arena, does anyone know anything more about this? see below

This was posted on McMillan Internationals facebook site yesterday

"McMillan Fiberglass Stocks, McMillan Firearms Manufacturing, McMillan Group International have been collectively banking with Bank of America for 12 years. Today Mr. Ray Fox, Senior Vice President, Market Manager, Business Banking, Global Commercial Banking came to my office. He scheduled the meeting as an “account analysis” meeting in order to evaluate the two lines of credit we have with them. He spent 5 minutes talking about how McMillan has changed in the last 5 years and have become more of a firearms manufacturer than a supplier of accessories.
At this point I interrupted him and asked “Can I possible save you some time so that you don’t waste your breath? What you are going to tell me is that because we are in the firearms manufacturing business you no longer what my business.”
“That is correct” he says.
I replied “That is okay, we will move our accounts as soon as possible. We can find a 2nd Amendment friendly bank that will be glad to have our business. You won’t mind if I tell the NRA, SCI and everyone one I know that BofA is not firearms industry friendly?”
“You have to do what you must” he said.
“So you are telling me this is a politically motivated decision, is that right?”
Mr Fox confirmed that it was. At which point I told him that the meeting was over and there was nothing let for him to say.

I think it is import for all Americans who believe in and support our 2nd amendment right to keep and bear arms should know when a business does not support these rights. What you do with that knowledge is up to you. When I don’t agree with a business’ political position I can not in good conscience support them. We will soon no longer be accepting Bank of America credit cards as payment for our products.

Kelly D McMillan
Director of Operations
McMillan Group International, LLC
623-582-9635
www.mcmillanusa.com (http://www.mcmillanusa.com/)

Jason Glavich
04-23-2012, 02:12 PM
I have been following this since yesterday. BofA says on their FB page that they do not have any such rules. But will not say whether or not it was said by saying they do not discuss account holders.

At the same time mcmillan has this exact account of what happened on their page.

I would not doubt if it is true.

BonMallari
04-23-2012, 02:25 PM
as a Wells Fargo customer for the last 20 yrs, I read that piece on another website...unfortunately many of the large corporations that we(as consumers) use adopt practices that are not aligned with our personal beliefs or political stances...

I shudder when I know that my favorites like Carrie Underwood is a big HSUS supporter, that Progressive insurance CEO is a left wing card carrying member, that CBS who carries the majority of TV/sporting events I watch is controlled by Moonves and his minions....makes me sick to my stomach....still waiting to find out that George Soros owns some company like Winchester, Mizuno,or ESPN :rolleyes:

Uncle Bill
04-23-2012, 02:26 PM
Thanks for that post, Julie. Those with even a smigeon of skin in this game to keep our 2nd Amendment rights...hunters...dog trainers that use guns...and especially fishermen that think this Regimes attitudes towards gun owners and their freedoms, won't eventually come to haunt their rights and freedoms, are woefully lacking, or just plain stupid.

UB

smakem
04-23-2012, 02:53 PM
As an individual within the firearms industry and having close ties to Mcmillan, the story is 100% factual. BofA didn't want their business if they were making firearms.

Jim Danis
04-23-2012, 02:55 PM
Bank of America is becoming more and more the scurge of the banking world. I used to do business with thier mortgage side on a daily basis and finally had to stop doing business with them. No ethics or professionalism what so ever. The best way to describe BofA is that they are now the Countrywide Mortgage of the banking world.

Cody Covey
04-23-2012, 03:54 PM
as a Wells Fargo customer for the last 20 yrs, I read that piece on another website...unfortunately many of the large corporations that we(as consumers) use adopt practices that are not aligned with our personal beliefs or political stances...

I shudder when I know that my favorites like Carrie Underwood is a big HSUS supporter, that Progressive insurance CEO is a left wing card carrying member, that CBS who carries the majority of TV/sporting events I watch is controlled by Moonves and his minions....makes me sick to my stomach....still waiting to find out that George Soros owns some company like Winchester, Mizuno,or ESPN :rolleyes:
In Carrie Underwood's defense HSUS comes across as this really helpful organization for helping out stray dogs and cats. And hell there is one right down the street from me that I can go walk dogs at. Little do most people know that the HSUS has no affliation with the local humane shelters and is just a huge lobbying firm and has absolutely no care for animal welfare at all. Now as a big supporter she may know exactly what they stand for and if not she should be doing research. Just saying that they are very good at marketing themselves as something they are not. The others unfortunately I agree with completely.

Gerry Clinchy
04-23-2012, 03:55 PM
This thread might even belong on the main forum?

BonMallari
04-23-2012, 04:08 PM
I can say I refuse to watch a Susan Sarandon/Tim Robbins project, refuse to watch Maher, never bought a Dixie Chicks record and so on...but call me hippocritical when it come Carrie

dback
04-23-2012, 05:08 PM
Thanks Julie......I do business with McMillan and just called them to check on the accuracy of the statement. They verified it, so I just closed two accounts with BofA.

This should be on the main forum.......

twall
04-23-2012, 05:41 PM
I am stuck with BoA servicing my home mortgage. We went with our local mortgage broker who left BoA when we refinanced. We were told they would not sell our loan to BoA. They did not. The company that bought it from them sold it to BoA.

Tom

BonMallari
04-23-2012, 05:45 PM
Thanks Julie......I do business with McMillan and just called them to check on the accuracy of the statement. They verified it, so I just closed two accounts with BofA.

This should be on the main forum.......

in light of the subject matter probably, but with all else that is going on its probably better where its at, who knows maybe if we start posting more threads about lifestyle and apolitical topics, we may get more participants besides the usual gang of libs on the left and the "neocons" as Franco like to label some of us on the right..

and another trivial note as a Wells Fargo customer, two of the larger individual owners of WF stock are Warren Buffett via Berkshire Hathaway, and reportedly a well known FT'er who inherited it by her family via a northern exposure bank (no not K.S)

huntinman
04-23-2012, 05:52 PM
I can say I refuse to watch a Susan Sarandon/Tim Robbins project, refuse to watch Maher, never bought a Dixie Chicks record and so on...but call me hippocritical when it come Carrie

The weird thing is, her husband Mike Fisher the hockey player for the Nashville Predators is a big game hunter and you can bet he's a meat eater... you would think he could talk some sense into her...

BonMallari
04-23-2012, 06:07 PM
The weird thing is, her husband Mike Fisher the hockey player for the Nashville Predators is a big game hunter and you can bet he's a meat eater... you would think he could talk some sense into her...

I would guess as Cody C. alluded to is that she may be slightly misinformed on their exact dealings, plus its all part of her All American girl next door Idol image...

ARay11
04-23-2012, 06:58 PM
headin on over to www.boa.com (http://www.boa.com) to close out the accounts.
One would think that if enough people leave the bank, they will feel it.... but, alas, they will just ask Uncle O for a little mo cashe.

BuddyJ
04-23-2012, 07:02 PM
so isn't Wells Fargo aligned with BOA politically?

Julie R.
04-23-2012, 09:04 PM
I actually almost posted this thread on the main forum but there are always a few sanctimonious types over there that thinks anything political belongs here. I don't bank with BOA and in fact have been thinking of ditching SunTrust even tho. I've banked there for my entire adult life; of course it was a local bank when I opened my account though.

Joe Dutro
04-23-2012, 09:45 PM
Anyone here have a Bass Pro Visa Card? It is processed by Bank of America.

I guess I will be making a call in the morning to close that out.

Raymond Little
04-23-2012, 10:03 PM
This $hit needs to go viral.

dback
04-24-2012, 12:10 AM
Figured my post would be too long to list all the apologies necessary in RK's thread and have decided it's time to stop it now. Sent an e-mail to every 2nd Amendment supporter in my address book (and it's lengthy) including two who are in the top 50% of 1%ers. Hope it has some small affect.

Franco
04-24-2012, 07:28 AM
No BOA around here! I banked with a local bank, Hibernia, for decades until they sold to Capital One. Then, I switched to another local bank, The Whitney, and now they sold out to a bigger bank. So, I moved my accounts to another local community bank and continue to refuse letting the big conglomerates have my buisness.

One can't beat the service of a small local bank that has the local community's well being as their main interest!

luvmylabs23139
04-24-2012, 09:14 AM
Oddly not one word in the local media here, and I live about 90 minutes from BOA's corp headquarters. Ya think local media is in the tank for the dems?
Obumma's speach accepting the dem nom for POTUS will be at BOA stadium in Charlotte!

The crickets can be heard chirping in all the Charlotte media!!!

shawninthesticks
04-24-2012, 11:36 PM
Not to political but this thread caught my eye ,I do not bank with them but know of several friends that do and will pass this info on ASAP.

cj6530
04-25-2012, 07:13 AM
I work in banking. I think McMillian is making up the conversation. I bet BOA decided not to renew the revolver because of a change in bus plan by McMillian. No way the conversation went down the way being described. A banker would never say the decision was political (even if it was). No chance.

huntinman
04-25-2012, 08:44 AM
I work in banking. I think McMillian is making up the conversation. I bet BOA decided not to renew the revolver because of a change in bus plan by McMillian. No way the conversation went down the way being described. A banker would never say the decision was political (even if it was). No chance.

You ever hear of a little group called Color of Change? Or a friendly guy by the name of Van Jones? Wouldn't be surprised at all if they aren't behind this.

Color of Change has many American corporations running for cover.

What's Color of Change hiding about itself?

byMark Tapscott Executive Editor

Coca Cola executives who recently decided to stop supporting the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) did so in response to demands from an obscure left-wing activist group, Color of Change (COC). So were executives of giant candy-maker Mars, Inc. when they announced a similar decision earlier today.

That is why Color of Change may be the most powerful group in America you've never heard about.

The demand that Coke, Mars and other corporate donors stop making contributions to ALEC - a long-established conservative legislative group that researches and writes model legislation that is often adopted by state legislatures - is only the latest COC campaign to hit a nerve.

Previous COC successes include pushing advertisers on Glenn Beck's Fox News Show to withdraw their ads, a campaign that played a role in the cable news and opinion network'a decision to drop the controversial production in June 2011.

Others who have felt the wrath of COC include now-former MSNBC opinion analyst Patrick Buchanan, Fox Business News anchor Eric Bolling, Lou Dobbs when he was on CNN, and the late Andrew Breitbart.

On its web site, COC said ALEC should be boycotted because "the right wing has been trying to stop Black people, other people of color, young people, and the elderly from voting — and now some of America’s biggest companies are helping them do it. Demand that these companies stop funding the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC)."

The conservative group's model Voter ID laws require those seeking to vote in state and local elections to present photo IDs, just as commercial airline passengers are required to do when going through security or when customers in a pharmacy buy certain prescription or over-the-counter drugs.

Rob Scheberle, ALEC's executive director, responded to COC's charges:

“Over the last 24 hours, ALEC has been inundated with letters of support from elected officials, community leaders and concerned citizens in response to the intimidation campaign launched by a coalition of extreme liberal activists committed to silencing anyone who disagrees with their agenda.

“I am thankful for the support and want to take this opportunity to remind people what we are facing:

“First, the people now attacking ALEC and its members are the same people who have always pushed for big-government solutions. Our support for free markets and limited government stands in stark contrast to their state-dependent utopia. This is not about one piece of legislation. This is an attempt to silence our organization and it has been going on for more than a year.

“Second, ALEC is one of America’s premier ideas laboratories when it comes to advocating free market reforms. We are a target because our opponents believe they have the opportunity to attack an effective, successful organization that promotes free-market, limited government policies that they disagree with.

More recently, the group has sought to apply its influence to lobbying Congress against passage of anti-Internet piracy legislation and to prevent cuts in funding for student loans.

But for all of its successes in generating public pressure against conservative advocacy groups and media figures, COC remains something of a mysterious organization.

The organization was not forthcoming about details of its operation when approached earlier this week by The Washington Examiner. No response was received to two emails sent to one of the individuals indentified in a news release as spokesmen for COC.

Though it claims to have more than 81,000 "members," the group, which is registered with the IRS as a 501(C)(4) advocacy organization, has a small paid staff of four people and revenues of $515,219, according to its 2010 Form 990 tax return. Only $21,000 was listed for employee salary and benefits costs.

James Rucker is named by the 990 as executive director, but no compensation figures are included for him, even though he is listed as devoting 40 hours per week to the organization. Only one other officer is listed, Heidi Hess, who is named "director," but spends only two hours per week on COC business and receives no compensation, according to the 990.

Rucker is described by Huffington Post as "co-founder of ColorOfChange.org. Founded in the wake of Katrina, ColorOfChange.org is the leading online citizen lobby for African-Americans and their allies. Formerly, Rucker was director of grassroots mobilization at MoveOn.org."

Rucker and Hess are jointly listed on Key Wiki as having contributed $10,000-$14,999 to Dream Reborn, a project of Green for All, which is described as "a national organization that aims to build a green economy 'strong enough to lift people out of poverty.' Its goal is to secure $1 billion in funding for green-collar job training." Former Obama White House green jobs czar Van Jones was a founder of Green for All.

The group's largest single expense - for $197,486 - is listed as "Other," with no further details provided.

The group does have significant liabilities, including a debt of $110,084 owed to "GetEqual," and repayment of a loan by Rucker to the organization in the amount of $72,040 "to temp. fund operations." Other accounts payable and accrued expenses totalling $269,795, for total liabilities of $451,949.

Mark Tapscott is executive editor of The Washington Examiner.

dback
04-25-2012, 07:00 PM
A banker would never say the decision was political (even if it was). No chance.

Funny that the Manager I spoke with at BofA when I closed two accounts never said a word in their defense when I told her why I was closing the accounts. If McMillans account of the story was incorrect, I'd sure think BofA would make some attempt to defend themselves.

cj6530
04-25-2012, 08:52 PM
Funny that the Manager I spoke with at BofA when I closed two accounts never said a word in their defense when I told her why I was closing the accounts. If McMillans account of the story was incorrect, I'd sure think BofA would make some attempt to defend themselves.

http://www.usacarry.com/bank-of-americas-response-mcmillan-firearms-claim/

No chance your bank manager is going to comment on another clients business. My point is not to defend BofA. I could care less about BofA. My point is simply that no way the conversation went like McMillian said it did.

Gerry Clinchy
04-26-2012, 09:48 AM
I mentioned this on another list ... primarily show people ... but one fellow had a pointed reply:

Yet in the B of A branches which have guards, those guards typically
pack heat. Kind of ironic. I wonder where B of A thinks these guards
procure their sidearms? The perfume counter at Macy's?