PDA

View Full Version : There are good people out there.

mngundog
04-23-2012, 11:46 PM
I know POTUS, is pretty negative most of the time, so I thought I would share a little story about the good people out there.
About 10 years ago I moved onto the family homestead in the country and for since them I have been cleaning the place up including restoring a 75 year old 60 ft barn, long story short Saturday a torando came down and took the barn, bins etc, leaving the house pretty much intact. I was away and got back Sunday to find my 5 acres lawn completely covered with debris, and the steel siding and roofing was strung out over about a mile. Well I woke up today and at about 8 a.m. began the cleanup process, which looked pretty endless considering my one small tractor was crushed, and what looked to be months worth of picking up to do. At about 9 a.m. a neighbor showed up pulling his skid loader, followed by the next and the next, by 10 a.m. there were about 25 neighbors with skid loaders, trailers, tractors, and UTVs all who busted there tails off cleaning my place up. Still have a long way to go, but tonight everything looks managable, still have know idea who coordinated the clean-up all I know is I never made a call, its unbelievable living in a communtiy like this, just had to share.

charly_t
04-24-2012, 02:08 AM
Wonderfull story. Thank you for sharing it.

road kill
04-24-2012, 06:56 AM
That is an outstanding story.
Sounds like the America I grew up in and LOVE!!!!

BTW--If I was near you, I would be proud to be part of that crew!!!
Anything we can do, give a holler!

Franco
04-24-2012, 07:21 AM
I know POTUS, is pretty negative most of the time, so I thought I would share a little story about the good people out there.
About 10 years ago I moved onto the family homestead in the country and for since them I have been cleaning the place up including restoring a 75 year old 60 ft barn, long story short Saturday a torando came down and took the barn, bins etc, leaving the house pretty much intact. I was away and got back Sunday to find my 5 acres lawn completely covered with debris, and the steel siding and roofing was strung out over about a mile. Well I woke up today and at about 8 a.m. began the cleanup process, which looked pretty endless considering my one small tractor was crushed, and what looked to be months worth of picking up to do. At about 9 a.m. a neighbor showed up pulling his skid loader, followed by the next and the next, by 10 a.m. there were about 25 neighbors with skid loaders, trailers, tractors, and UTVs all who busted there tails off cleaning my place up. Still have a long way to go, but tonight everything looks managable, still have know idea who coordinated the clean-up all I know is I never made a call, its unbelievable living in a communtiy like this, just had to share.

Good story, they way is should be! Not waiting on the government for everything was the way before government got too big and wasteful.

huntinman
04-24-2012, 08:37 AM
Don't you know you were supposed to call FEMA first?

luvmylabs23139
04-24-2012, 09:42 AM
That is the way it is in our small little part of the county that is not part of the city. We had a small tornado come thru 2 years ago and before you could blink, my husand was out of town, the guys had the main state road open so they could get to our small subdivsion. The tree was off of my neighbors house before Julie could even get in touch with her DH who works 2nd shift.
THe tornado hit around 6 pm. Power was out so the guys got my portable generator up and running before I had a chance to do it myself. While the guys were doing this Julie and I had food going on my grill for the guys.
Then we see on the 11 pm news all the city people whining and bitching about no power etc etc etc.

road kill
04-24-2012, 09:49 AM
What a stark contrast of the behavior in New Orleans after Katrina hit!

RK

luvmylabs23139
04-24-2012, 10:11 AM

RK

Lets admit the facts. Those that live off of the gooberment will never make an effort to help themselves.
How can the general public feel anything but disgust for people shown on TV looting stores for TVs sneakers etc. Too bad everyone of those looters was not eliminated from the gene pool!

HPL
04-24-2012, 10:14 AM
Sorry to hear about the loss of your great old barn, but I'm happy to say that the story is what you hear all over rural America, so maybe we aren't really lost after all. I have a friend who was visiting a friend of his in Louisiana when Katrina hit. They were out in the country up above N. O. and as soon as the winds got down below about 45mph, all the guys got out the tractors and chainsaws and cleared the county road (after clearing their way up to it) so that they could get up to the paved road (state hwy) and then proceeded to clear that up to the main hwy so that they could get out and get supplies etc. and then started the rest of the local cleanup process. My buddy said that the folks in N O that were on TV reminded him of helpless little baby birds, faces upturned, mouths open, chirping "feed me, feed me!"

Franco
04-24-2012, 10:29 AM

RK

Granted that the behavior of the New Orleans' Democrats AFTER Katrina was appauling but, you just can't compare the two!

Katrina flooded 80% of Orleans Parish, 100% of St Bernard Parish and substanial percentages of Jefferson, St Tammany and Plaquimines Parishes not to mention the devastation on the Ms Gulf Coast. People were trapped in thier houses, there was no plan for evacuation of the poor, no drinkable water in the 100 degree heat that lasted for days after and no food or shelter.

FEMA was not prepared, Bush was confused, Gov Blanco was inept and the city's Mayor incompetant! Add the faulty levees built by the US Army Corp Of Engineers compounded by their dredging of the protective coastal marhes by the Corp. and this was a man-made disaster just waiting to happen!

And, what wasn't shown was the huge amount of people helping people.

road kill
04-24-2012, 10:31 AM
Granted that the behavior of the New Orleans' Democrats AFTER Katrina was appauling but, you just can't compare the two!

Katrina flooded 80% of Orleans Parish, 100% of St Bernard Parish and substanial percentages of Jefferson, St Tammany and Plaquimines Parishes not to mention the devastation on the Ms Gulf Coast. People were trapped in thier houses, there was no plan for evacuation of the poor, no drinkable water in the 100 degree heat that lasted for days after and no food or shelter.

FEMA was not prepared, Bush was confused, Gov Blanco was inept and the city's Mayor incompetant! Add the faulty levees built by the US Corp Of Engineers compounded by their dredging of the protective coastal marhes by the Corp. and this was a man-made disaster just waiting to happen!

Weren't there bus' ready to roll to get people out?

It's Bush's fault people looted the store in the own neighborhoods?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I could list more, but it's pointless.

RK

Franco
04-24-2012, 10:38 AM
Weren't there bus' ready to roll to get people out?

It's Bush's fault people looted the store in the own neighborhoods?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I could list more, but it's pointless.

RK

I said that the actions of the Democrats after the storm was appauling. Did you ignore that?

Bush and FEMA were worse than the keystone cops in handling the situation! The local gov and mayor weren't much better.

There were buses but like I said, no plan of where to take them. Were they to drive in circles?

And, the media chose not to show people helping people in the days after the hurricane.

road kill
04-24-2012, 10:41 AM
I said that the actions of the Democrats after the storm was appauling. Did you ignore that?

Bush and FEMA were worse than the keystone cops in handling the situation! The local gov and mayor weren't much better.

There were buses but like I said, no plan of where to take them. Were they to drive in circles?

And, the media chose not to show people helping people in the days after the hurricane.

Should Bush have come down and driven the busses for them??:D

He was confused that the people were too stupid to listen and take advantage of the resources and leave...........:shock:

RK

Franco
04-24-2012, 10:48 AM
Should Bush have come down and driven the busses for them??:D

He was confused that the people were too stupid to listen and take advantage of the resources and leave...........:shock:

RK

Again RK, you know not of what you write!

Bush thought FEMA was doing their job and they weren't. Remember, "Good Job Brownie? All the while people were dying of dehydration, no drinkable water for four days, major failure of FEMA! Had it not been of the U S Coast Guard, the loss of life would have been 10 x's greater. FEMA was clueless as to the conditions on the ground. The Coast Guard said "screw FEMA" we are taking over until relief comes!

road kill
04-24-2012, 10:58 AM

Bush thought FEMA was doing their job and they weren't. Had it not been of the U S Coast Guard, the loss of life would have been 10 x's greater. FEMA was clueless as to the conditions on the ground. The Coast Guard said "screw FEMA" we are taking over until relief comes!

10X's greater?
You KNOW this??

Prove it!!

Do you have statistics to support that the USCG (which I am a veteran of) rescued 10X's more people than were lost?
I don't think so!

You are correct, I know not of what I speak, but YOU know all!!!

Did you stay at a Holiday Inn last night or what???

RK

luvmylabs23139
04-24-2012, 11:00 AM

FEMA was not prepared, Bush was confused, Gov Blanco was inept and the city's Mayor incompetant! Add the faulty levees built by the US Army Corp Of Engineers compounded by their dredging of the protective coastal marhes by the Corp. and this was a man-made disaster just waiting to happen!

And, what wasn't shown was the huge amount of people helping people.

OK people were told to leave and did not.
Beyond that WHAT IS THE EXCUSE FOR NON FOOD WATER looting?

There is no excuse for that other than animals acting like animals/
Good homeowners had their guns taken while the beast was allowed to run wild.

luvmylabs23139
04-24-2012, 11:07 AM

The mayor and other locals and state screwed up first.
BUt how can anyone feel for people who are stealing sneakers, TV's etc?
Also if you choose to live below sea level best be responsible for that choice.

road kill
04-24-2012, 11:07 AM

Bush thought FEMA was doing their job and they weren't. Remember, "Good Job Brownie? All the while people were dying of dehydration, no drinkable water for four days, major failure of FEMA! Had it not been of the U S Coast Guard, the loss of life would have been 10 x's greater. FEMA was clueless as to the conditions on the ground. The Coast Guard said "screw FEMA" we are taking over until relief comes!
My apoligies Franco.
It appears somewhere around 2,000 people lost thier lives in Katrina.

The USCG pulled over 30,000 people out of there (since Bush did not have the busses running).

Assuming that 66% of those rescued would have died, your numbers are good.

Props & Kudos to Mayor Nagin!!!!:D

RK

zeus3925
04-24-2012, 11:48 AM
I have an acquaintance that I went to school with that is an extremely successful. Following Katrina he sent a large generator (I believe he said it cost him $100,00O+) mounted on a flatbed to New Orleans on loan. He said they were able to track it as far as the Louisiana state line. He has not heard of its whereabouts since.

paul young
04-24-2012, 12:26 PM
thank you for the uplifting story, MNGUNDOGS.

it's too bad that it took less than one page for it to devolve into a slamfest of people living in an urban setting. i do not; it doesn't suit my lifestyle. but that doesn't mean that it's a bad way to live.

what was the point? do you all really think city dwellers should own tractors, generators and chainsaws?

yes, the looters (which were a small percentage of the people isolated by the storm in New Orleans) were doing wrong and should have been arrested and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

then started the Democrat bashing. Franco, you should be ashamed of yourself! do you know how many of those Coasties were Democrats? more than a few, i'm sure!

we recently had a couple threads on here asking what's wrong with our country. i don't think we need to look any farther than what's transpired within this thread to answer that question. we're all Americans. it's high time we started acting that way, instead of acting like finger pointing school kids laying fault on the other kid's behavior.-Paul

Raymond Little
04-24-2012, 12:40 PM
I'll wade into this discussion since I am probably the only person on RTF that actually went to Nola just days after the storm. Myself and roughly 200 other natives of Lafayette La towed our boats down to participate in the search and rescue mission. We were stopped by the local police just outside Kenner La and told we were not needed. Being a stubborn lot, we doubled back around and found another route closer to the water line on I-10 that took us through areas that looked like a war zone. Numerous times we had to stop and drag telephone poles and signs from our route.
Most everyone had spent money on ice chest, ice, and gas, we were prepared to spend however long it took to get the job done. We launched out boats on I-10 just east of Westend Blvd and headed out. Most in the area we were in had provisions and refused to leave but we presisted and headed south toward a less desireable part of town. I shuttled folks in my boat for several hours and helped carry many more across a rail road track. Somewhere, there is an interview of me in my boat where the reporter wanted to know what I thought about the situation.:-x I explained that the people let behind were never even thought about by their local/state leaders because they were expendable.
Little did I know then that Hurricane Rita would hit my part of the state within the month and it would all start over.

Franco
04-24-2012, 01:36 PM

it's too bad that it took less than one page for it to devolve into a slamfest of people living in an urban setting. i do not; it doesn't suit my lifestyle. but that doesn't mean that it's a bad way to live.

what was the point? do you all really think city dwellers should own tractors, generators and chainsaws?

yes, the looters (which were a small percentage of the people isolated by the storm in New Orleans) were doing wrong and should have been arrested and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

then started the Democrat bashing. Franco, you should be ashamed of yourself! do you know how many of those Coasties were Democrats? more than a few, i'm sure!

we recently had a couple threads on here asking what's wrong with our country. i don't think we need to look any farther than what's transpired within this thread to answer that question. we're all Americans. it's high time we started acting that way, instead of acting like finger pointing school kids laying fault on the other kid's behavior.-Paul

Correct, it was just a small percentage that was looting and one would never know just watching the national news coverage. They also burned down a shopping mall, homes and other acts of destruction. Those stories never made the national news. Maybe shooting looters is one way of making them think twice.

Bashing Democrats? I doubt any of the looters support the GOP or Libertarian Party;-) I'm not saying that there aren't any Republican criminals because there are many. But in this case, they were Democrats!

troy schwab
04-24-2012, 01:39 PM

Yes, actually...... If I was told that a category five hurricane was coming..... these items would make the top ten things to buy list (minus the tractor)...... particularly if I was too stubborn to leave. But then again, that might be to much common sense........

road kill
04-24-2012, 01:41 PM

For a guy who claims to want smaller and less Government, this seems to fly in the face of that!!!!:D

Franco
04-24-2012, 01:44 PM
For a guy who claims to want smaller and less Government, this seems to fly in the face of that!!!!:D

Actually, I oppose FEMA. Just another huge wasteful government agency. People would be much more likely to take care of themselves if they knew they had to!

BTW, I lived in N O for both Hurricane Audry and Betsy. Both cause more flooding than Katrina, the differences were;

no 24 hour news
no FEMA
housing developments were not allowed in low laying areas

People managed to take care of themselves. Much of the city's low laying areas were not developed and were green spaces. Schools and churches took care of thier own.

Franco
04-24-2012, 01:47 PM
Yes, actually...... If I was told that a category five hurricane was coming..... these items would make the top ten things to buy list (minus the tractor)...... particularly if I was too stubborn to leave. But then again, that might be to much common sense........

What good would these items do in 5 feet of water?

troy schwab
04-24-2012, 02:01 PM
Would good would these items do in 5 feet of water?

Do I really need to explain the use of a generator to you? Cmon man.....

Franco
04-24-2012, 02:22 PM
Do I really need to explain the use of a generator to you? Cmon man.....

I am familiar with generators. Never used one underwater;-)

They were plentiful in the rebuilding but not any use for them in the weeks after the hurricane even if one lived in a house that didn't flood. I returned to the city one month after the Katrina. There were no grocery stores open. No fast food, no gasoline or diesel, no nothing! People were living off of bottled water and K-rations. Most areas didn't have electricty until seveal months after. There was nothing open for months, no hospitals, malls, movies, car dealerships...nothing!

One can not comprehend the disaster without having been there.

my checklist if I ever have to do it over;

bottled water
pistol & ammo
canned goods
propane cooker
shotgun & ammo
chips and dip
candy bars
rifle & ammo
tissue paper
clean shorts & shirts
battery operated radio
flashlights
Gerry cans with gasoline
knifes
insect repellant
talcum powder
Bayer Aspirin
antiseptics & antibiotics

to name just a few items

troy schwab
04-24-2012, 02:43 PM
Franco,
I think you are missing the point.... or not. These people in the Katrina path, were warned several days ahead of time...... they should have been more prepared. Yes, Katrina was a freak, and no one was truly ready. Well, except maybe the smart ones who left......... Either way, the government dependants seemed to be the hardest hit, and it doesnt surprise me one bit.....

road kill
04-24-2012, 03:28 PM

Paul,
I told him I would come help!
Hell I might even bring a generator if he needs it!!!:D

RK