PDA

View Full Version : Nope, You Just Can't Make this Crap UP!

Buzz
04-29-2012, 12:07 AM
Romney campaign aide claims auto bailout was Romney's idea

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/224371-romney-campaign-claims-auto-bailout-was-his-idea?utm_campaign=briefingroom

One of Mitt Romney's top advisers said Saturday that President Obama's decision to bailout Chrysler and General Motors was actually Romney's idea.

"[Romney's] position on the bailout was exactly what President Obama followed. I know it infuriates them to hear that," Eric Fehrnstrom, senior adviser to the Romney campaign, said.

"The only economic success that President Obama has had is because he followed Mitt Romney's advice."

The claim appears to be a shift from Mitt Romney's November 2008 op-ed in The New York Times, headlined, "Let Detroit go bankrupt."
But on Saturday, Fehrnstrom pointed out that in the op-ed, Romney called for a "managed bankruptcy" to get the auto companies back on stable financial footing.

"The fact that the auto companies today are profitable is because they've shed costs," Fehrnstrom said. "The reason they shed those costs and have got their employee labor contracts less expensive is because they went through that managed bankruptcy process. It is exactly what Mitt Romney told them to do."

But during the primary campaign, Romney repeatedly attacked Obama for lending billions of dollars in government money to the auto companies.

In a February op-ed in The Detroit News, Romney called Obama's auto bailout “crony capitalism on a grand scale.”

“The president tells us that without his intervention things in Detroit would be worse,” Romney wrote. “I believe that without his intervention things there would be better.”

So, do conservative's heads explode, or like good soldiers, do they give Romney a big pat on the back for coming up with this great idea?

sandyg
04-29-2012, 11:29 AM
So, do conservative's heads explode, or like good soldiers, do they give Romney a big pat on the back for coming up with this great idea?

The only time conservative's heads explode is when they try to reason with a liberal.

huntinman
04-29-2012, 02:03 PM
The only time conservative's heads explode is when they try to reason with a liberal.

???? isn't that an oxymoron or something?

BonMallari
04-29-2012, 05:14 PM
just like the Etch a Sketch comment they both came from CAMPAIGN ADVISORS, but the media wants a gotcha moment so bad that they quickly connect the dots and hang it around Romney's neck..huge difference there

Buzz
04-29-2012, 06:39 PM
just like the Etch a Sketch comment they both came from CAMPAIGN ADVISORS, but the media wants a gotcha moment so bad that they quickly connect the dots and hang it around Romney's neck..huge difference there

I got a kick out of my friends over at free republic.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2877656/posts

Marvin S
04-29-2012, 08:36 PM
I got a kick out of my friends over at free republic.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2877656/posts

Buzz - you should move to WA - there would be many like minded non thinkers here you could consort with :).

Last week I get a newsletter from the Tax Foundation noting that WA ranks 4th in high taxes in the nation - later in the week we get a newsletter from our local legislator saying the bad economy is all the fault of the greedy Wall Street guys, not a word about the unsustainable budgets passed 6, 4 & 2 years ago to reward the public employees unions :-P. & today there is a full page ad showing our ranking in potential business productivity - this is a very unfriendly state toward business - & there are multiple reasons why - but mainly, even the RINO's have a thought process that is much like your friends at freerepublic. Those are some very stupid people that you call friends :)!!!!!!!!!!!

Buzz
04-29-2012, 08:52 PM
Buzz - you should move to WA - there would be many like minded non thinkers here you could consort with :).

Last week I get a newsletter from the Tax Foundation noting that WA ranks 4th in high taxes in the nation - later in the week we get a newsletter from our local legislator saying the bad economy is all the fault of the greedy Wall Street guys, not a word about the unsustainable budgets passed 6, 4 & 2 years ago to reward the public employees unions :-P. & today there is a full page ad showing our ranking in potential business productivity - this is a very unfriendly state toward business - & there are multiple reasons why - but mainly, even the RINO's have a thought process that is much like your friends at freerepublic. Those are some very stupid people that you call friends :)!!!!!!!!!!!

Marvin,

Free Republic is an extremely conservative right wing website. I go there frequently to take the pulse of the far right. Kinda the same motivation I have for coming to POTUS. Besides, how do you argue with people you agree with???

;-)

sandyg
04-29-2012, 09:14 PM
Marvin,

Free Republic is an extremely conservative right wing website. I go there frequently to take the pulse of the far right. Kinda the same motivation I have for coming to POTUS. Besides, how do you argue with people you agree with???

;-)

What websites do you go to to take the pulse of the far left? What are some extremely liberal left wing websites? I would like to understand my political opposite to determine if there is any common ground.

backagain
04-30-2012, 02:01 AM
What websites do you go to to take the pulse of the far left? What are some extremely liberal left wing websites? I would like to understand my political opposite to determine if there is any common ground.

You mean msnbc.com, abcnews.com , cbsnews.com etc? lol

I think you mean places like www.democraticunderground.com and www.dailykos.com

I have been registered at freerepublic for almost 12yrs. Great place to check in every day.

road kill
04-30-2012, 09:12 AM
Boy Buzz, you sure got us conservatives on this one.

A staff member got caught on a "GOTCHYA" moment that means nothing.

What is surprising is that you haven't quoted Mother Jones lately.

What is even more disturbing is the GAFFES in the ACTIONS of this administration that the progressives let slide and frankly gush over.

Shall I list them?
Is one of these cabinet members about to be cited for contempt??;-)

Buzz
05-08-2012, 08:41 AM
For those defending this as some kind of "off the reservation statement" by a staffer, here you go...

http://news.yahoo.com/romney-taking-credit-auto-industry-success-031025566.html

Romney taking credit for auto industry success
By STEVE PEOPLES | Associated Press – 9 hrs ago

EUCLID, Ohio (AP) — Campaigning in the backyard of America's auto industry, Mitt Romney re-ignited the bailout debate by suggesting he deserves "a lot of credit" for the recent successes of the nation's largest car companies.
That claims comes in spite of his stance that Detroit should have been allowed to go bankrupt.

The presumptive Republican presidential nominee told a Cleveland television station on Monday that President Barack Obama followed his lead when he ushered auto companies through a managed bankruptcy soon after taking office.

"I pushed the idea of a managed bankruptcy, and finally when that was done, and help was given, the companies got back on their feet," Romney said in an interview inside a Cleveland-area auto parts maker. "So, I'll take a lot of credit for the fact that this industry has come back."

Romney has repeatedly argued that Obama ultimately took his advice on the auto industry's woes of 2008 and 2009. But he went further on Monday by saying he deserves credit for its ultimate turnaround.

The course Romney advocated differed greatly from the one that was ultimately taken. GM and Chrysler went into bankruptcy on the strength of a massive bailout that Romney opposed. Neither Republican President George W. Bush nor Democratic President Barack Obama believed the automakers would have survived without that backup from taxpayers.
Romney opposed taxpayer help.

"If General Motors, Ford and Chrysler get the bailout that their chief executives asked for yesterday, you can kiss the American automotive industry goodbye," Romney wrote in a November 2008 opinion article in the New York Times. "It won't go overnight, but its demise will be virtually guaranteed."
General Motors posted a record profit last year.

The issue is critical in at least two general election swing states: Ohio and Michigan, where the auto bailouts are popular among some Republicans and Democrats.

The Obama campaign pounced on Romney's statement Monday night, calling it "a new low in dishonesty" and calling on him to have "the courage and integrity" to admit he was wrong.

Romney is scheduled to campaign in Michigan on Tuesday.

caryalsobrook
05-08-2012, 10:44 AM
For those defending this as some kind of "off the reservation statement" by a staffer, here you go...

http://news.yahoo.com/romney-taking-credit-auto-industry-success-031025566.htmlIf Romney said that the US auto industry was bailed out, then you ae right. IF ANYBODY SAYS THAT THE US AUTO INDUSTRY WAS BAILED OUT, that is crap also! Ford never asked for nor took any bailout money. Michigan ranks 4th in the manufacture of autos in the US. Tennessee, Kentucky, Alabama, Mississippi and Georga are the homes of the US auto industry. The top three states are in this group. The only plant in Tennessee eligible to receive bailout money was the Saturn plant in Spring Hill, Tn. and it closed. It was also the only union plant in Tn. to my knowledge.

Only those companies that were poorly managed, outdated and inefficient required and took bailout money. Those that were well managed and efficient are still doing just fine AND NEEDED NO BAILOUT. GM continues to get bailout money in the form of subsities for its Volt which it can't sell other than to the government. Chrysler's first bailout surely was a success since it obviously qualified it for a SECOND BAILOUT. Maybe a third will come some years in the future.

I'm sure that whether it be Romney or Obama who claims success today for the bailout of GM and Chrysler, neither will take credit should their poor management and inefficient manufacture of autos continue and another bailout be necessary or letting them go bankrupt be the alternative. Chrysler should have the least worries.j After why sould they not expect to be bailed out a third time since they can claim that the first two bailouts worked.:rolleyes: