PDA

View Full Version : ICE Embezzlement Scam

Gerry Clinchy
05-01-2012, 09:15 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/05/01/top-ice-figure-expected-to-plead-guilty-to-brazen-500g-scam/?test=latestnews

So, now they find that ICE had about $600K embezzled. If we add that to the $800K+ that GSA wasted, we've got around $1 billion.

With the # of agencies in the Fed govt, I find it hard to believe that this isn't just the tip of the iceberg. And the Jordanian fellow socked away $570K in just one year!!

Then about $1 million to let Mr. Panetta go home for the weekends.

I don't think the Fed govt should get a dime more in taxes or debt ceiling until they clean up their act.

M&K's Retrievers
05-01-2012, 09:20 PM
I agree, but good luck with that.:(

Gerry Clinchy
05-01-2012, 11:10 PM
$600k + $800K= $1 billion?
Oops, sorry about that ... meant $1 million+

helencalif
05-02-2012, 01:50 PM
I saw a news report yesterday on TV regarding the ICE scandal. It was reported that there was absolutely no oversight. Expense receipts did not have to be submitted for reimbursement. Requests for reimbursement were submitted with simply no questions asked. He billed for trips he never took, among other things.

And then there was a report on the rental fees for luxury cars for politicians. $1,200+ a month for a Lexus. More for others. It makes your head swim.

But there is no comparison to Leon Panetta's weekend trips home at a cost of $30,000+ each.

He said he has to go home to see his family in Monterey. What family? He is 73 years old. He does not have small children to raise. If he has children, they would be adults. He has a wife who is the head of his foundation. (I don't know what the foundation does.)

He says his weekend trips from Washington DC to California give him time to think and to keep his perspective for the office he holds.

ABOUT EVERY WEEKEND to Monterey, CA,at a cost of $30,000 per weekend?

Helen

road kill
05-02-2012, 01:52 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/05/01/top-ice-figure-expected-to-plead-guilty-to-brazen-500g-scam/?test=latestnews

So, now they find that ICE had about $600K embezzled. If we add that to the $800K+ that GSA wasted, we've got around $1 billion.

With the # of agencies in the Fed govt, I find it hard to believe that this isn't just the tip of the iceberg. And the Jordanian fellow socked away $570K in just one year!!

I don't think the Fed govt should get a dime more in taxes or debt ceiling until they clean up their act.

Obama doesn't have time for such nonsense, he is busy BOASTING about "KILLING" Bin Laden!!!
(not waterboarding or sending him to Gitmo)

Gerry Clinchy
05-02-2012, 02:08 PM
I saw a news report yesterday on TV regarding the ICE scandal. It was reported that there was absolutely no oversight. Expense receipts did not have to be submitted for reimbursement. Requests for reimbursement were submitted with simply no questions asked. He billed for trips he never took, among other things.

And then there was a report on the rental fees for luxury cars for politicians. $1,200+ a month for a Lexus. More for others. It makes your head swim.

But there is no comparison to Leon Panetta's weekend trips home at a cost of $30,000+ each.

He said he has to go home to see his family in Monterey. What family? He is 73 years old. He does not have small children to raise. If he has children, they would be adults. He has a wife who is the head of his foundation. (I don't know what the foundation does.)

He says his weekend trips from Washington DC to California give him time to think and to keep his perspective for the office he holds.

Makes one think again about: "We don't have a revenue problem. We have a spending problem."

$1 million here; $1 million there; $1/2 million here; $1/2 million there.

IMO there is no reason on God's green earth that any of the administration or congress are "entitled" to go home every weekend. They knew when they took the jobs where they would have to work. Private sector employees spend more than a week away from home when required. Our military personnel spend MUCH more time away from their families; and their lives are in danger to boot!

Who are these people to think they are entitled to so much more than those soldiers, sailors and airmen?

I'm sure Mr. Panetta could rent an apartment that could accommodate his wife as well for a heckuva lot less than $1 million. Of course, then it might not be as cheap (for his pocket) as his transportation home every weekend.

huntinman
05-02-2012, 03:05 PM
This is just the waste we hear about.... the very tip of the iceberg.

BonMallari
05-02-2012, 03:06 PM
How quickly we forget that Madame Pelosi used a whole fleet of Air Force Gulfstreams to shuttle her to Northern Calif every weekend....who picked up the tab for that one...i am still waiting for credit for frequent flyer mileage

gmhr1
05-02-2012, 03:19 PM
I suppose we can't hold the Pres responsible for this either!

luvmylabs23139
05-02-2012, 03:20 PM

Helen

Lets not forget PELOSI's weekend trips home as speaker of the house.

ARay11
05-02-2012, 03:31 PM
How quickly we forget that Madame Pelosi used a whole fleet of Air Force Gulfstreams to shuttle her to Northern Calif every weekend....who picked up the tab for that one...i am still waiting for credit for frequent flyer mileage
And then there was a report on the rental fees for luxury cars for politicians. $1,200+ a month for a Lexus.

We complain about this stuff..but really.. we know they are "entitled" to a vehicle, "entitled" to go home on the weekends and "entitled" to use government vehicles for personal use. They are our leadership.

Geez wonder why America has an "entitlement" problem.

paul young
05-02-2012, 06:11 PM
So if i understand your concerns, the Republican and Independant legislators and Cabinet members of previous administrations have always stayed in Washington on the weekends? they never travel to their home states on business or rto be with their family?

Or is/was it ok for them but not for Democrats or members of this administration?

Double standards anyone?-Paul

BonMallari
05-02-2012, 07:30 PM
So if i understand your concerns, the Republican and Independant legislators and Cabinet members of previous administrations have always stayed in Washington on the weekends? they never travel to their home states on business or rto be with their family?

Or is/was it ok for them but not for Democrats or members of this administration?

Double standards anyone?-Paul

Paul its not a republican vs democrat problem ...it a government problem wasting the taxpayers dollar...I have NO DOUBT there are just as many republican officials that abuse priviliges too

Gerry Clinchy
05-02-2012, 08:10 PM
Paul, to echo Bon, both parties have gotten away with this elitism for too long. If our military can be separated from their families for months at a time, and not in luxury digs in DC, then the congress can darn well do the same.

I think that it also goes hand-in-hand with how our legislators make a career out of their "service" and tend to leave their "service" far wealthier than when they began.

LOL! If Joe Biden had had to make it in the private sector, he'd probably be a lot poorer. Maybe I should take that back. He might have had a career in stand-up comedy. Sorry, I can't help myself on Joe. He just happens to be a Dem.

ARay11
05-04-2012, 10:20 AM
I completely agree. It is not a party problem, it's a goverment waste problem.

Clean up on Aisle 3!! Clean up on Aisle 3!!

Gerry Clinchy
05-04-2012, 02:21 PM
And the waste doesn't stop at the Fed or State levels ... right on down the line ...
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/04/26/california-city-on-bankruptcy-brink-discovers-illegal-payouts-to-elected/?intcmp=obinsite

Stockton, CA is on the verge of bankruptcy ... and they have been contributing about $27,000/year to a state retirement program, which action was forbidden by the city charter. And it is uncertain if the money will be returned to the city ...

"At this point, I need to look at what the options are and if I have any choices or not," Johnston said. [Johnston is the current Mayor of Stockton.]

But Ralph White, an ex-councilman, told Fox40 the options are simple.

"Weighing what options on what?" he asked. "Whether to give the money back, or keep it? Do you wanna be a thief, or does she wanna give the money back? That's the option."

Stockton has been considering bankruptcy while it attempts to balance its finances. Should Stockton take that step, it would mark the largest city bankruptcy in U.S. history.

charly_t
05-04-2012, 03:12 PM
And on down the line to the principal or superintendent of a school about 40 miles from us who was steering the supply buying for the school to a man who was charging big bucks for such things as mops etc. Both men were ( if I remember correctly ) profitting from this little venture. All levels of "government people" seem to view our money as fair game.