PDA

View Full Version : The Night Watchman

duckheads
05-03-2012, 12:02 PM
Once upon a time the government had a vast scrap yard in the middle of a desert.

Congress said, "Someone may steal from it at night." So they created a night watchman position and hired a person for the job. Then Congress said, "How does the watchman do his job without instruction?" So they created a planning department and hired two people, one person to write the instructions, and one person to do time studies. Then Congress said, "How will we know the night watchman is doing the tasks correctly?" So they created a Quality Control department and hired two people. One was to do the studies and one was to write the reports. Then Congress said, "How are these people going to get paid?" So they created two positions: A time keeper and a payroll officer then hired two people. Then Congress said, "Who will be accountable for all of these people?" So they created an administrative section and hired three people, an Administrative Officer, Assistant Administrative Officer, and a Legal Secretary.

Then Congress said, "We have had this command in operation for one year and we are $918,000 over budget, we must cut back." So they laid-off the night watchman.

NOW slowly, let it sink in.

Quietly, we go like sheep to slaughter...Does anybody remember the reason given for the establishment of the DEPARTMENT OF ENERGY during the Carter
administration?

Anybody?

Anything?

No?

Didn't think so!

Bottom line is, we've spent several hundred billion dollars in support of an agency....the reason for which not one person who reads this can remember!

Ready?

It was very simple... and at the time, everybody thought it very appropriate.

The Department of Energy was instituted on 8/04/1977..................

To LESSEN OUR DEPENDENCE ON FOREIGN OIL.

Hey, pretty efficient, huh?

AND NOW IT'S 2012 -- 35 YEARS LATER -- AND THE BUDGET FOR THIS "NECESSARY" DEPARTMENT IS AT $24.2 BILLION A YEAR. IT HAS 16,000 FEDERAL EMPLOYEES AND APPROXIMATELY 100,000 CONTRACT EMPLOYEES; AND LOOK AT THE JOB IT

HAS DONE!

(THIS IS WHERE YOU SLAP YOUR FOREHEAD AND SAY, "WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?")

34 years ago 30% of our oil consumption was foreign imports.

Today 70% of our oil consumption is foreign imports.

Ah, yes -- good old Federal bureaucracy.

NOW, WE HAVE TURNED OVER THE BANKING SYSTEM, HEALTH CARE,

AND THE AUTO INDUSTRY TO THE SAME GOVERNMENT?

Hello!

Anybody Home?

Signed,

The Night Watchman

Matt McKenzie
05-03-2012, 02:24 PM
This reminds me of the earlier post someone made about the research that indicates those on the right and left process the same information differently to come up with completely opposite conclusions.
Some of us believe that governments by nature are ineffective and inefficient and should be entrusted with only those things that are outlined in the constitution and are impossible to outsource. We can show countless concrete examples of how the private sector ALWAYS outperforms the public sector.
Others will deny evidence placed directly in front of them and continue to entrust more and more resources to bloated bureaucratic departments in an attempt to change the outcome from one of total failure to some level of success. If that doesn't work (and it never does), they redefine success. (See Department of Energy, Department of Education, EPA, NOAA, BATF, DEA, etc, etc, etc)

Franco
05-03-2012, 02:25 PM
Good post and right on target.

Many Federal departments and agencies need to be eliminated. I wonder who in DC has been talking about that the longest;-) Could it be the man that some would accuse of not getting anything done?

road kill
05-03-2012, 02:30 PM

Many Federal departments and agencies need to be eliminated. I wonder who in DC has been talking about that the longest;-) Could it be the man that some would accuse of not getting anything done?

Yes, that is who it is.
And we have not accused him, it is fact!

Franco
05-03-2012, 02:41 PM
That's because Dr Ron Paul is the only one on the hill with balls!

All the others are either too scared to want to make a difference or prefer deficit spending.

I also posted the below on the Iowa Primary thread

"There are a lot of establishment Republicans who need to thank Ron Paul for injecting a certain amount of courage to do what people always said needed to be done but where they also said, 'How do we do that?'" Iowa state Rep. Erik Helland said.
Helland said that in 2011, the legislature "deappropriated" $500 million over three years from programs such as state-mandated pre-school, government employee benefits and other programs that usually cause an outcry. Helland, who is the majority whip, said that on the Monday after they announced the spending cuts, he got back to Des Moines and "braced" himself for news of outrage from other state representatives who had spent the weekend meeting with constituents.
"They came back and said, 'We talked to our voters, they want to cut more,'" Helland said. "It was paradigm shifting. The voters started actually saying, 'cut.'"
Helland said he gives credit to Paul, who has spent a lot of time in Iowa over the past several years, for changing the political culture.
"Paul staked out such an aggressive dialogue on cutting government that some of the steps we've taken in the legislature and at the federal level are possible because Ron Paul talked about it to the extent that it became politically palatable," Helland said.
"Ron Paul is the most successful presidential candidate in the last couple decades, even though he hasn't won the election," he continued. "He has shaped the dialogue."

road kill
05-03-2012, 02:46 PM
That's because Dr Ron Paul is the only one on the hill with balls!

All the others are either too scared to want to make a difference or prefer deficit spending.

I also posted the below on the Iowa Primary thread

"There are a lot of establishment Republicans who need to thank Ron Paul for injecting a certain amount of courage to do what people always said needed to be done but where they also said, 'How do we do that?'" Iowa state Rep. Erik Helland said.
Helland said that in 2011, the legislature "deappropriated" $500 million over three years from programs such as state-mandated pre-school, government employee benefits and other programs that usually cause an outcry. Helland, who is the majority whip, said that on the Monday after they announced the spending cuts, he got back to Des Moines and "braced" himself for news of outrage from other state representatives who had spent the weekend meeting with constituents.
"They came back and said, 'We talked to our voters, they want to cut more,'" Helland said. "It was paradigm shifting. The voters started actually saying, 'cut.'"
Helland said he gives credit to Paul, who has spent a lot of time in Iowa over the past several years, for changing the political culture.
"Paul staked out such an aggressive dialogue on cutting government that some of the steps we've taken in the legislature and at the federal level are possible because Ron Paul talked about it to the extent that it became politically palatable," Helland said.
"Ron Paul is the most successful presidential candidate in the last couple decades, even though he hasn't won the election," he continued. "He has shaped the dialogue."
The only one I know who has had their dialogue shaped by Dr Paul is......YOU!

Franco
05-03-2012, 02:47 PM
The only one I know who has had their dialogue shaped by Dr Paul is......YOU!

Well then, you need to get out a little more.

road kill
05-03-2012, 02:49 PM
Well then, you need to get out a little more.
I'm busy trying to teach my dog to sit still.

Franco
05-03-2012, 02:56 PM

That's a very tough one! The dog I just retired from hunting (bad wheel and getting old)has never broken at a Field Trial yet I can't keep him steady when shooting wild ducks, so I gave up;-) I'll never buy another Lean Mac/Cosmo cross.

Matt McKenzie
05-03-2012, 03:02 PM
That's a very tough one! The dog I just retired from hunting (bad wheel and getting old)has never broken at a Field Trial yet I can't keep him steady when shooting wild ducks, so I gave up;-) I'll never buy another Lean Mac/Cosmo cross.

You can pull a horse trailer with a Dodge Viper, but it might not be the best vehicle for the job. ;-)

Franco
05-03-2012, 03:07 PM
You can pull a horse trailer with a Dodge Viper, but it might not be the best vehicle for the job. ;-)

I hear ya bruh!

I made the mistake of selling a youngster two years ago that was well-mannered, calm on the hunt, steady as a rock and handled well because he wasn't FT material!

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/303407_432081283486037_151009331593235_1558723_213 5627151_n.jpg

luvmylabs23139
05-03-2012, 06:44 PM
I heard the feds did a recent study that said Head Start (taxpayer funded babysitting for 4 year olds)was a waste of money. Of course what happens? Rather than eliminating the waste they want more money! What a joke!

luvmylabs23139
05-03-2012, 06:57 PM

I'm trying to teach a soon to be 7 year old that he has to listen to all commands even if he has Mr Turtle in his mouth!:rolleyes:
Since Mr Turtle has been rescued 2x's now and sent on his merry way to the stream I can't duplicate the game.

sandyg
05-04-2012, 08:21 AM

It's one thing to talk about it.
It's another to git 'er done!!!!

Marvin S
05-04-2012, 01:14 PM
;-) I'll never buy another Lean Mac/Cosmo cross.

Franco - There is a lot of history behind these two dogs - the closer you were to the scene the more the story changed :o. Having competed against LM I could never understand the infatuation with him as a sire, other than a good job of pimping. Many of his very expensive pups from good lines had the same faults LM did.

Cosmo on the other hand was a somewhat different story - Terry & I were on speaking, dog discussing terms - He had commented to me at one time about young Derby prospects that I would have that would not show up at a later time in the advanced stakes, my return was they would have a fault that made them a dog that I did not want to invest in only to have them not be there later. Cosmo had just gone out of a Derby & Terry was not too happy & thought it time to sell the dog. I told him if he wanted to sell, name a price & if I thought it realistic, we'd have a deal. End of conversation, & no sale. At a later time I commented to a very knowledgable dog person that was the best thing that had happened to me based on Cosmo's antics on the line as an AA performer. His reply "you would not have allowed that to happen" I took as a compliment. IMO - Cosmo received favored treatment on his line manners because of his handler. Terry couldn't get that treatment because Cosmo would not line up at heel for him. Not much of a thrill owning a dog you can't handle :). There are a lot of of dogs with a lot under their hood out there, when one relies on another person's opinion without looking personally on the dog performing, you better be wise in your choice of those whose opinion you rely upon.