PDA

View Full Version : Church food pantry

charly_t
05-13-2012, 10:59 AM
I just learned that churches in Oklahoma must have someone with a food handler's license to pass out food to the needy. This is prepacked foods with none being frozen or needing refridgeration. I just don't see the need for this with that kind of food baskets. I have not verified this it is just something that a fellow church member told me when I asked how the food pantry was doing. She said that we can't run a food pantry anymore till we get someone with a food handler's license to run it. I guess it won't be long till potluck dinners need one also !!!!! More government control. :(

BonMallari
05-13-2012, 11:04 AM
I just had to renew my food handlers permit here in LV on Wed. it cost me 50 bucks to have my picture taken and watch an hour of old movies about hygiene and airborne disease....its all about the revenue stream

charly_t
05-13-2012, 11:20 AM
I just had to renew my food handlers permit here in LV on Wed. it cost me 50 bucks to have my picture taken and watch an hour of old movies about hygiene and airborne disease....its all about the revenue stream

Yep, I figured it was. I guess that's why it bothers me so much. The trouble is...........they will need more government workers to oversee etc. this and in the long run the tax payers will have to throw more money into the pot to run things. This is no more than stocking shelves at a grocery store and I bet a food handlers license is not required for that ( I sure hope my last sentence did not give the government any more ideas ! ).

Marvin S
05-13-2012, 10:42 PM
charly - I thought OK was a R state :-P.

I just renewed my permit - $10 online - I won't go into the various dealings we have had with the ignorant food Nazi's at this time - but will tell you they avoid myself & my son like the plague. He has a BS in Dairy Manufacturing so is very knowledgeable on the subject.

It's about jobs for the ignorant & the appearance that they are in control. I have read most of the FDA stuff & it is fairly reasonable, it's the add on crap locally that is a killer.

I don't disagree that some oversight is necessary, but these people don't have the judgment to decide who requires that oversight.

Our product is subject to cold restrictions once it's edible & rarely do you see a properly aged & cared for cheese create health issues. Your little hot meals on the other hand (potluck) can be a real issue. Rarely are though as most of those people know who the good cooks are & avoid the bad ones :cool:.

Have a nice night!!!!!