PDA

View Full Version : Only In America

Franco
05-14-2012, 03:07 PM
1) Only in America could politicians talk about the greed of the rich at a $35,000 a plate campaign fund raising event.
2) Only in America could people claim that the government still discriminates against black Americans when we have a black President, a black Attorney General, and roughly 18% of the federal workforce is black. 12% of the population is black.
3) Only in America could we have had the two people most responsible for our tax code, Timothy Geithner, the head of the Treasury Department and Charles Rangel who once ran the Ways and Means Committee, BOTH turn out to be tax cheats who are in favor of higher taxes.
4) Only in America can we have terrorists kill people in the name of Allah and have the media primarily react by fretting that Muslims might be harmed by the backlash.
5) Only in America would we make people who want to legally become American citizens wait for years in their home countries and pay tens of thousands of dollars for the privilege while we discuss letting anyone who sneaks into the country illegally just become American citizens.
6) Only in America could the people who believe in balancing the budget and sticking by the country's Constitution be thought of as "extremists."
7) Only in America could you need to present a driver's license to cash a check or buy alcohol, but not to vote.
8) Only in America could people demand the government investigate whether oil companies are gouging the public because the price of gas went up when the return on equity invested in a major U.S. oil company (Marathon Oil) is less than half of a company making tennis shoes (Nike).
9) Only in America could the government collect more tax dollars from the people than any nation in recorded history, still spend a trillion dollars more than it has per year for total spending of $7 million PER MINUTE,and complain that it doesn't have nearly enough money.
10) Only in America could the rich people who pay 86% of all income taxes be accused of not paying their "fair share" by people who don't pay any income taxes at all.

Matt McKenzie
05-14-2012, 03:55 PM
Hear, Hear!

Cody Covey
05-14-2012, 08:11 PM
1) Only in America could politicians talk about the greed of the rich at a $35,000 a plate campaign fund raising event.
2) Only in America could people claim that the government still discriminates against black Americans when we have a black President, a black Attorney General, and roughly 18% of the federal workforce is black. 12% of the population is black.
3) Only in America could we have had the two people most responsible for our tax code, Timothy Geithner, the head of the Treasury Department and Charles Rangel who once ran the Ways and Means Committee, BOTH turn out to be tax cheats who are in favor of higher taxes.
4) Only in America can we have terrorists kill people in the name of Allah and have the media primarily react by fretting that Muslims might be harmed by the backlash.
5) Only in America would we make people who want to legally become American citizens wait for years in their home countries and pay tens of thousands of dollars for the privilege while we discuss letting anyone who sneaks into the country illegally just become American citizens.
6) Only in America could the people who believe in balancing the budget and sticking by the country's Constitution be thought of as "extremists."
7) Only in America could you need to present a driver's license to cash a check or buy alcohol, but not to vote.
8) Only in America could people demand the government investigate whether oil companies are gouging the public because the price of gas went up when the return on equity invested in a major U.S. oil company (Marathon Oil) is less than half of a company making tennis shoes (Nike).
9) Only in America could the government collect more tax dollars from the people than any nation in recorded history, still spend a trillion dollars more than it has per year for total spending of $7 million PER MINUTE,and complain that it doesn't have nearly enough money.
10) Only in America could the rich people who pay 86% of all income taxes be accused of not paying their "fair share" by people who don't pay any income taxes at all.
This post was stolen and posted to my facebook wall...And now people are arguing with me lol. THank you!

M&K's Retrievers
05-14-2012, 08:24 PM
This post was stolen and posted to my facebook wall...And now people are arguing with me lol. THank you!

About what??:confused:

Novemberwitch
05-14-2012, 08:45 PM
Agreed! +1

coachmo
05-14-2012, 09:17 PM
Where's all the libs on this???

Cody Covey
05-14-2012, 10:48 PM
About what??:confused:

That was my question to them...I got no reasonable response other than the person wanted to move to Europe because they were better lol.

JDogger
05-14-2012, 10:53 PM
Where's all the libs on this???

Well. I can't speak for the other couple secular liberal progressives that still visit this place...., but since I check in now and again I can only guess that most of us have a more positive view than booty's extremely negative view of the USA, that seems to be shared by many, (er, most of you.)

Call me studid but I still believe I live in the best country to ever exist. I could list all the positives of living in the USA but I can't believe that you are unaware of them...

We may not like the current administration, but we are poised to change it if we wish. Not many places in this world have that choice.

Now Hew will tell me I am once again donning my Mr. Cotter hat. JD

backagain
05-14-2012, 11:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ix-AMYos0Js

OK

Matt McKenzie
05-15-2012, 06:09 AM
Well. I can't speak for the other couple secular liberal progressives that still visit this place...., but since I check in now and again I can only guess that most of us have a more positive view than booty's extremely negative view of the USA, that seems to be shared by many, (er, most of you.)

Call me studid but I still believe I live in the best country to ever exist. I could list all the positives of living in the USA but I can't believe that you are unaware of them...

We may not like the current administration, but we are poised to change it if we wish. Not many places in this world have that choice.

Now Hew will tell me I am once again donning my Mr. Cotter hat. JD

I won't speak for Franco, but I will say that although I agree with most of the original post, that doesn't mean I have a negative view of my country. It means that we enjoy more freedoms than any other nation which allows for some incredible stupidity by certain individuals and groups. From my perspective, these individuals and groups are risking who and what we are with the best of intentions and the worst of results because they don't understand how we became who and what we are and somehow think that they can overcome reality with good feelings and platitudes for the dumb masses. I agree with you that we live in the greatest country to ever exist. I also believe that we are always at risk of losing it all if we are not vigilant. If you interpret that to mean I have a negative view of the U.S., then I don't know what else there is to say.

Franco
05-15-2012, 06:35 AM
Actually, I think it represents the failure of the electorate in sending the wrong people to Congress and the White House over the last 65 years! That our government is dysfunctional, doing a poor job of protecting The Constitution and citizens.

That the only reason we have the Standard Of Living that we do is because we live in a relatively new land, rich in natural resources and the wealth accumulated over the last 200 plus years is the only reason for enjoying what we do.

Gun_Dog2002
05-15-2012, 09:12 AM
Well.

Call me studid. JD

Ok your studid.....:D

/Paul

road kill
05-15-2012, 09:32 AM

/Paul

That right there is funny, I don't care who you are!!:rolleyes:

HPL
05-15-2012, 10:08 AM
Ok you're studid.....:D

/Paul

Fixed it for ya. (perhaps no longer as funny, I don't know)

Uncle Bill
05-15-2012, 10:22 AM
Fixed it for ya. (perhaps no longer as funny, I don't know)

Is that a half fix??? "You're STUDID????"

Nice to see /Paul among the contributors again.:cool:

UB

JDogger
05-15-2012, 09:32 PM

/Paul

Well, you know what momma always said...:)

So now it's "Run JD Run".

Thanx Jenny, :p for the heads up. JD

PS watcher grammar, they're out there. Que no? :D

JDogger
05-15-2012, 09:37 PM

UB

Nice to see you posting again as well, Bill. Hope you're feeling OK. JD

Gerry Clinchy
05-15-2012, 10:53 PM
It's kind of interesting to see that Obama is losing ground with African-Americans, with women, with Independents, with mainstream Democrats ... about the only people he's doing well with right now are the gays. The fact that he took his new position with same-sex marriage seems to be causing this. There are those who disagree with the position; but others, who may agree agree on that issue, seem to see it as a purely political move & have lowered their opinion of BHO for that reason.

Seems like this would have been one instance where he would have been better off just continuing to "evolve" until after the election. Is this a campaign strategy that resulted in unanticipated consequences?

HPL
05-15-2012, 11:56 PM

UB
I was only fixing Gun_Dog2002's slight gaff which was obviously a typo. I figured JDogger said what he meant.