PDA

View Full Version : Florida government schools

Matt McKenzie
05-16-2012, 10:25 AM
http://www.clickorlando.com/news/Passing-score-lowered-for-FCAT-Writing-exam/-/1637132/13396234/-/k1ckc2z/-/index.html

Draw your own conclusions.

road kill
05-16-2012, 10:54 AM
http://www.clickorlando.com/news/Passing-score-lowered-for-FCAT-Writing-exam/-/1637132/13396234/-/k1ckc2z/-/index.html

The "dumbing down of America!"

Everything is cool though, ask any progressive (fellow traveler).

menmon
05-16-2012, 11:13 AM
The "dumbing down of America!"

Everything is cool though, ask any progressive (fellow traveler).

So I take it you are a traveling man now...that is good knews!

Regarding Florida schools...might want to look at a Bush to blame;-)

road kill
05-16-2012, 11:18 AM

Fellow traveler or fellow traveller is a term referring to a person who sympathizes with the beliefs of an organization or cooperates in its activities without maintaining formal membership in that particular group. In the early Soviet Union the approximate term was used without negative connotation to describe writers and artists sympathetic to the goals of the Russian Revolution who declined to join the Communist Party. The English-language phrase came into vogue in the United States during the 1940s and 1950s as a pejorative term for a sympathizer of Communism or particular Communist states, who was nonetheless not a "card-carrying member" of a Communist party.

Enjoy!!!

Just tryin' to help!!!!!:D

ARay11
05-16-2012, 11:31 AM
those passing percentages are too extremely different year over year and it reads as a statewide problem, not only in one area.
If you were anti-state testing, the best thing you could do would be to get on the test writing board, make it crazy difficult, create the big swing, and get the testing thrown out due to public outcry.
conspiracy theorist at heart :P

BonMallari
05-16-2012, 12:49 PM
but the question is; can they play football in the SEC

Matt McKenzie
05-16-2012, 12:56 PM

I would.....if I were an idiot. Fortunately I'm not that simple-minded.

menmon
05-16-2012, 04:57 PM
I would.....if I were an idiot. Fortunately I'm not that simple-minded.

So you think the governor has done a good job with education?

coachmo
05-16-2012, 10:19 PM
To try and pin the blame solely on the governor is a stretch to say the least.

menmon
05-17-2012, 10:02 AM
To try and pin the blame solely on the governor is a stretch to say the least.

No there are others...but he has been governor a long time. Obama is suppose to correct everything in one term...seems like you should hold him to the same standard;-)

road kill
05-17-2012, 10:11 AM
No there are others...but he has been governor a long time. Obama is suppose to correct everything in one term...seems like you should hold him to the same standard;-)
The teachers unions run the classrooms.

menmon
05-17-2012, 10:25 AM
The teachers unions run the classrooms.

If so...shouldn't the governor fix it?

Big business runs Washington and you expect the president to fix it, right?

road kill
05-17-2012, 10:33 AM
If so...shouldn't the governor fix it?

Big business runs Washington and you expect the president to fix it, right?
They have contracts and collective bargaining, nothing anyone can do.

Here in WI, Governor Walker has fixed that issue.
Look at how the whiney crybabies acted;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZ0dJM3h-tE

That dude is a teacher in WI, member in WEAC.
This is part of the reason some question teachers here.
Would any teacher accept that behavior in their classroom?

Now, in the recall election, the guy the unions are running (Mayor Barret) is trailing substantially in every poll.

Matt McKenzie
05-17-2012, 11:33 AM

News flash. It's been a while since a Bush was governor in Florida. As usual, your incredible grasp of current events leaves the rest of us in awe.

menmon
05-17-2012, 11:41 AM
News flash. It's been a while since a Bush was governor in Florida. As usual, your incredible grasp of current events leaves the rest of us in awe.

I didn't say he was still the governor...but he still carries the title. At least I consider the facts unlike you;-)

Matt McKenzie
05-17-2012, 12:42 PM
I didn't say he was still the governor...but he still carries the title. At least I consider the facts unlike you;-)

"but he has been governor for a long time." Your words. Anyone with a basic grasp of the English language understands that to be present tense. Jeb Bush was governor of Florida until 2007. His brother was President of the U.S. until 2008. It is currently 2012. Those are FACTS that I considered. I would ask which facts you considered while developing your erudite analysis of the current state of public education in Florida, but I've learned from experience that I will most likely become dumber by reading your response. I temporarily forgot my vow to avoid responding to your posts, but thanks for reminding me why I made that decision.

I will not wrestle the pig, I will not wrestle the pig, I will not wrestle the pig, I will not wrestle the pig, I will not wrestle the pig.

Marvin S
05-18-2012, 07:07 PM
"but he has been governor for a long time." Your words. Anyone with a basic grasp of the English language understands that to be present tense. Jeb Bush was governor of Florida until 2007. His brother was President of the U.S. until 2008. It is currently 2012. Those are FACTS that I considered. I would ask which facts you considered while developing your erudite analysis of the current state of public education in Florida, but I've learned from experience that I will most likely become dumber by reading your response. I temporarily forgot my vow to avoid responding to your posts, but thanks for reminding me why I made that decision.

I will not wrestle the pig, I will not wrestle the pig, I will not wrestle the pig, I will not wrestle the pig, I will not wrestle the pig.

The process of response is normally an exchange where both parties learn something :). Responding to the IHOP person is not that type of exchange. He joins such as Bruce (from Retriever Talk), DNF & (I need help here) as those who by their own admission are presumably well educated & are willing to enlighten the rest of us from the Stone Age. I remember early on when UB tagged him, his post about going to the best schools & being without his proper station in life, all while posting like he was illiterate :p.

Erik Vigeland
05-18-2012, 10:54 PM
Yep, all of us teachers are horrible people.

luvmylabs23139
05-19-2012, 12:11 PM
Yep, all of us teachers are horrible people.

Nobody has said all teachers are horrible people. Many have said that teachers' unions are bad for education overall.
Most of us if not all of us can think back to our days in school and recall at least one if not more teachers who would have been fired for being a useless idiot had they been in a non union job where performance mattered.

Erik Vigeland
05-19-2012, 01:34 PM
And there are cops, firefighters, and many other people with union jobs that are useless idiots. Heck, there are a ton of other people in nonunion jobs that are useless idiots. I can be fired at any time from my union job. Does the union make it tougher? You bet, but my butt can get canned all the same.

luvmylabs23139
05-19-2012, 01:50 PM
And there are cops, firefighters, and many other people with union jobs that are useless idiots. Heck, there are a ton of other people in nonunion jobs that are useless idiots. I can be fired at any time from my union job. Does the union make it tougher? You bet, but my butt can get canned all the same.
Can you get fired because you suck without a huge war? (not saying that you personally suck)
Yes there are people in non union jobs that should be fired due to lack of performance. Many of those still hold their jobs because they are in a protected class that makes it almost impossible to can them even though they should be. If you fire them or cause they run and whine and claim you know what and guess what, it costs the company less to cut them a check to go away even if the should be fired than to pay the legal bills to fight it. Clinton passed a law that requires mediation first in many of these claims. Companies pay because it is cost effective not because they will eventually loose. If the looser had to pay the legal bills of the winner this crap would go away.

Erik Vigeland
05-19-2012, 08:03 PM
Can you get fired because you suck without a huge war? (not saying that you personally suck)
Yes there are people in non union jobs that should be fired due to lack of performance. Many of those still hold their jobs because they are in a protected class that makes it almost impossible to can them even though they should be. If you fire them or cause they run and whine and claim you know what and guess what, it costs the company less to cut them a check to go away even if the should be fired than to pay the legal bills to fight it. Clinton passed a law that requires mediation first in many of these claims. Companies pay because it is cost effective not because they will eventually loose. If the looser had to pay the legal bills of the winner this crap would go away.

In education, if there are administrators doing their jobs, the teachers should be doing their jobs. If there is a solid school board elected, those administrators should be doing their jobs. We (at least in MN) elect our school board. Everything stems from them.

ChopperJustin
05-24-2012, 04:20 PM

You know, frankly I don't know what these legislators expect. You gut your education budget, close schools, lay off teachers, and force others to leave by breaching your own contract by gutting their pensions as well, and then, THEN, you raise the writing standard for your state's standardized exams and now you're scratching your heads wondering why? WAKE UP!!!!!!!! This is ridiculous.... :-x

Gerry Clinchy
05-24-2012, 05:43 PM
Maybe we should be asking what the writing standard is? If the standard is very elemental, then it might be reasonable to expect any student with "x" number of years in school to meet that standard. If the standard is very difficult, maybe only a college student would be capable of meeting the standard.

I've noticed that there are plenty of college graduates who have a poor grasp of writing coherently. Have we neglected teaching that for too long?

Computers are not perfect at that kind of comprehension. Reading on the internet proves it. I've seen a number of cases where there are errors in the communications because only computers are doing the proofing.

luvmylabs23139
05-24-2012, 05:48 PM
You know, frankly I don't know what these legislators expect. You gut your education budget, close schools, lay off teachers, and force others to leave by breaching your own contract by gutting their pensions as well, and then, THEN, you raise the writing standard for your state's standardized exams and now you're scratching your heads wondering why? WAKE UP!!!!!!!! This is ridiculous.... :-x
You can't fix anything until you fix:
1. Parents (no idea how to do this but unless parents give a darn well what do you expect)
2. Teachers Unions. Bad teachers need to fired ASAP not some crap that takes years and costs taxpayers billions.
3. Eliminate tenure!!!
We did better before the feds got involved and when we had largeer class sizes. I do not buy the excuses. We always had an average of 30 kids in our elementary classes. The scores were much higher back then.
What 4th grader doesn't know what a camel is?
My 17 month old nephew knows this.