PDA

View Full Version : Tennese walking horse abuse

gmhr1
05-19-2012, 11:43 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2012-05-18/tennessee-walking-horse-abuse/55053888/1

I just saw this on a news show last night its horrible anyone else see it?

HPL
05-19-2012, 10:50 PM
I saw it and it's bad, but one shouldn't tar a whole group for the actions of a few. I was the official photographer for the equine division of the State Fair of Oklahoma for 13 years and they had a pretty good TWH show every year. I didn't particularly like the "big licks" myself, the gait is very exaggerated and unnatural, and I am sure puts additional stress on various joints, but the "flat shod" horses are very nice and the natural Walking Horse gait is very nice. I am sure that this guy isn't the only one using the old techniques to get the exaggerated gait of the "big licks", but I am also certain that some accomplish the desired effect without the most abusive techniques. Don't forget that not everyone that uses an E-collar uses in the most humane way, but that doesn't mean that every use of an E-collor is abusive, nor for that matter does the use of e-collars by some, or even most folks who run retrievers mean that it is the only way to achieve FCh or MH status. (and before the pile on starts, I'm not saying that the correct use of an e-collar is in any way like the mistreatment that this guy's horses experienced, only that e-collars in the wrong hands could be used in an abusive manner).

gmhr1
05-20-2012, 11:08 AM
On the news they said at the last Championship 52 out of 52 horses tested positive for having some kind of treatment done to the hooves. Seems like it may be way to common. The trainer on the video would burn their hoof to the point the horse couldn't stand up than beat them to get up and walk. I am a horse lover had them my whole life I'm having nightmares seeing the look on those poor horses faces.