PDA

View Full Version : Moderate a pejorative?

HPL
05-21-2012, 10:39 AM
In one of the US senate races in Texas there is an ad where his opponent for the Republican ballot position is "accusing" David Dewhurst of being a moderate. Never thought that being a moderate in the senate was necessarily a bad thing.

huntinman
05-21-2012, 10:41 AM
Moderate is what got us where we are. We need two opposing positions to keep them from "going along to get along". IMHO

zeus3925
05-21-2012, 11:32 AM
I have as much a problem with the extreme left as I do with the extreme right. Liberal, Conservative, Righty, Lefty, Upper, Downer whatever.. are in reality are labels used by political forces to inflame passions at election time. In the end, when in office, they all fall short of the expectations of their true believers.

Maybe falling short is a good thing for the country, for if one type of extreme philosophy should triumph totally over the other, surely that would generate the frictions strong enough to threaten the republic as we know it.

Franco
05-21-2012, 12:23 PM
One of the big problems is that today, the left has gone so far left and the right has gone so far right, that nothing gets done!

Socks
05-21-2012, 01:04 PM
One of the big problems is that today, the left has gone so far left and the right has gone so far right, that nothing gets done!

Yep..sums it up.

BonMallari
05-21-2012, 01:21 PM
I have as much a problem with the extreme left as I do with the extreme right. Liberal, Conservative, Righty, Lefty, Upper, Downer whatever.. are in reality are labels used by political forces to inflame passions at election time. In the end, when in office, they all fall short of the expectations of their true believers.

Maybe falling short is a good thing for the country, for if one type of extreme philosophy should triumph totally over the other, surely that would generate the frictions strong enough to threaten the republic as we know it.

agree with the first part of your post.....disagree with the second part......

IMO the special interest groups on both extremes are being served, while most of America falls in the middle, and really have no voice or say so in the matter and are forced to accept whatever group wins the election..I could be wrong too

paul young
05-21-2012, 02:57 PM
Moderate is what got us where we are. We need two opposing positions to keep them from "going along to get along". IMHO

Yep! nothing better than a good ol' STALEMATE!

Screw working together to resolve a problem. Go to war instead. Posturing and saber rattling is a lot more fun. No Statesmen left, regards......-Paul

huntinman
05-21-2012, 03:01 PM
Yep! nothing better than a good ol' STALEMATE!

Screw working together to resolve a problem. Go to war instead. Posturing and saber rattling is a lot more fun. No Statesmen left, regards......-Paul

Way to put your own spin on it. I say each side should stand by their convictions, represent the voters that sent them there. Let each side debate the issue, then VOTE on it. No more smoke filled, back room deals ie... Obamacare. let the majority of votes rule the issue.

Uncle Bill
05-21-2012, 05:10 PM
In one of the US senate races in Texas there is an ad where his opponent for the Republican ballot position is "accusing" David Dewhurst of being a moderate. Never thought that being a moderate in the senate was necessarily a bad thing.

Does Dewhurst vote the way you'd like? Is he consistant? While 'pejorative' is a pretty strong adjective, it may be the correct usage if Dewhurst is nothing more than a Scott Brown type RINO.

Is his opponent considered a true conservative? If so, he may have a point if Dewhurst has a voting record that shows him to be a middle-of-the-road type. The voters in Indiana just voted out of office a "moderate" Republican. So will other states, if the conservatives run a decent candidate that is trustworthy, and won't become 'moderate'.

UB

HPL
05-21-2012, 06:07 PM
Does Dewhurst vote the way you'd like? Is he consistant? While 'pejorative' is a pretty strong adjective, it may be the correct usage if Dewhurst is nothing more than a Scott Brown type RINO.

Is his opponent considered a true conservative? If so, he may have a point if Dewhurst has a voting record that shows him to be a middle-of-the-road type. The voters in Indiana just voted out of office a "moderate" Republican. So will other states, if the conservatives run a decent candidate that is trustworthy, and won't become 'moderate'.

UB

Dewhurst is currently Lieutenant governor here in Texas and the race is for Kay Bailey Hutchison's seat. From what I can tell, Dewhurst is Republican enough for me. I certainly would never vote for someone who considers being moderate an evil thing. Being moderate doesn't mean that you one doesn't stand up for one's beliefs, it indicates that one has "moderate" beliefs. The opposite of "moderate" isn't "conservative", it's "extremist" and extremists are always problematic. I am a strong supporter of the right to own and bear arms, but don't for instance think that civilians should be able to own LAWS rocket launchers as an example. I think that abortion is a terrible form of birth control, but as long as the world has about twice the population it really ought to have, and as long as there are so many "conservatives" that oppose sensible population control policies............. I want us to produce oil and gas, but I also want clean water and air and I personally like to see some wild areas preserved and don't really trust the free market to assure that, etc. I would consider myself to be a "moderate" even though on some subjects I have what some would consider "extreme" positions.

Uncle Bill
05-22-2012, 12:14 PM
Dewhurst is currently Lieutenant governor here in Texas and the race is for Kay Bailey Hutchison's seat. From what I can tell, Dewhurst is Republican enough for me. I certainly would never vote for someone who considers being moderate an evil thing. Being moderate doesn't mean that you one doesn't stand up for one's beliefs, it indicates that one has "moderate" beliefs. The opposite of "moderate" isn't "conservative", it's "extremist" and extremists are always problematic. I am a strong supporter of the right to own and bear arms, but don't for instance think that civilians should be able to own LAWS rocket launchers as an example. I think that abortion is a terrible form of birth control, but as long as the world has about twice the population it really ought to have, and as long as there are so many "conservatives" that oppose sensible population control policies............. I want us to produce oil and gas, but I also want clean water and air and I personally like to see some wild areas preserved and don't really trust the free market to assure that, etc. I would consider myself to be a "moderate" even though on some subjects I have what some would consider "extreme" positions.

Sorry to say, you are conflicted. By "sensible population control policies"...you mean like what's been the "policy" in China?

That's my problem with "moderates"..."middle-of-the-road-types"...they vacilate too frequently. They aren't founded by principles they believe in, but by their 'feelings' at the moment.

Being founded by basic beliefs, as were the founding fathers, is NOT being 'moderate'....AND it certainly is NOT being extreme. Only from an individuals point of view is a conservative considered extreme. I'm sure ALL the English saw our founders as being 'extreme'. And FWIW, I doubt there was a 'moderate' among ANY of those signers...they were ALL-IN...nothing wishy washy about their principles.

Moderates aren't moderate in principle, they are moderate because of their feelings. Either they don't wish to hurt someone by their decisions, regardless of right or wrong, ethical or 'politically correct'...OR, they want to be seen as on the correct side of the majority so they can be 'liked', and not stirring the pot. So they vote more based upon which way the wind is blowing, rather than having a rock solid principle to stand on.

Also, FWIW, many of your 'examples' are directly out of the leftist handbook. There isn't anyone, even the most ardent NRA member, like me, in favor of the public owning ANY form of a rocket launcher. That's plainly leftist gun control rabble-rousing at it's finest and most flagrant. But as I stated, moderates like to vacillate from one side to the other, and will use whatever means they 'feel' will support their position as justification for their actions.

UB

MooseGooser
05-22-2012, 12:20 PM

UB

HEY UNCLE BIL!!!!

How is you??

I dont know what a perjoretive is...... I think they make jelly out of it... But anyway,, I just wanted to send Ya a Big HEY!!!

Gooser

road kill
05-22-2012, 12:25 PM
Could someone name 1 moderate progressive?

HPL
05-22-2012, 02:15 PM
Sorry to say, you are conflicted. By "sensible population control policies"...you mean like what's been the "policy" in China?

That's my problem with "moderates"..."middle-of-the-road-types"...they vacilate too frequently. They aren't founded by principles they believe in, but by their 'feelings' at the moment.

Being founded by basic beliefs, as were the founding fathers, is NOT being 'moderate'....AND it certainly is NOT being extreme. Only from an individuals point of view is a conservative considered extreme. I'm sure ALL the English saw our founders as being 'extreme'. And FWIW, I doubt there was a 'moderate' among ANY of those signers...they were ALL-IN...nothing wishy washy about their principles.

Moderates aren't moderate in principle, they are moderate because of their feelings. Either they don't wish to hurt someone by their decisions, regardless of right or wrong, ethical or 'politically correct'...OR, they want to be seen as on the correct side of the majority so they can be 'liked', and not stirring the pot. So they vote more based upon which way the wind is blowing, rather than having a rock solid principle to stand on.

Also, FWIW, many of your 'examples' are directly out of the leftist handbook. There isn't anyone, even the most ardent NRA member, like me, in favor of the public owning ANY form of a rocket launcher. That's plainly leftist gun control rabble-rousing at it's finest and most flagrant. But as I stated, moderates like to vacillate from one side to the other, and will use whatever means they 'feel' will support their position as justification for their actions.

UB

Clearly, you don't know me.

HPL

huntinman
05-22-2012, 02:50 PM
Could someone name 1 moderate progressive?

Harry Reid:cool:

BonMallari
05-22-2012, 04:06 PM
Harry Reid:cool:

not even close, Harry is firmly entrenched as a card carrying member of the Dem party...hardly a moderate..more accurately he is a mealey mouth weasel

roseberry
05-23-2012, 11:48 AM
There isn't anyone, even the most ardent NRA member, like me, in favor of the public owning ANY form of a rocket launcher.
UB

ub,
i know of one who is in favor!:cool:

huntinman
05-23-2012, 11:52 AM
not even close, Harry is firmly entrenched as a card carrying member of the Dem party...hardly a moderate..more accurately he is a mealey mouth weasel

Come on Bon... you didn't think I was serious??

BonMallari
05-23-2012, 12:15 PM
Come on Bon... you didn't think I was serious??

I took the bait,hook,line and sinker:p

huntinman
05-23-2012, 12:29 PM
I took the bait,hook,line and sinker:p

Ha! Your description of Prince Harry was much more kind than mine would be!!