PDA

View Full Version : Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) guidelines updated

Daniel J Simoens
06-27-2012, 10:19 AM
I know Service Dogs was once a topic here. The ADA Guidelines have been updated and now business must accept Mini-Horses as guide animals.

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/new-disability-regs-limit-slope-mini-golf-holes-require-businesses-admit-mini-horses

Also updated:

Saunas – provision of accessible turning space and an accessible bench.

Shooting facilities – provision of accessible turning space “for each different type of firing position.”

Golf courses – “an accessible route to connect all accessible elements within the boundary.” An accessible route must also “connect golf car rental areas, bag drop areas, teeing grounds, putting greens, and weather shelters.”

Gyms – at least one of each type of exercise machine must be positioned for use by a person in a wheelchair.

Amusement parks – any new or altered ride must provide at least one seat for a person in a wheelchair.

now, don't get me wrong, I have a best friend that is in a wheelchair but I think this is getting ridiculous.

BonMallari
06-27-2012, 10:46 AM
I worked in the golf course business for about 10 years and the costs to make the course ADA compliant was tremendous, the irony was that very few times did anyone use the facilities because generally speaking most handicapped golfers like the challenge of playing a course exactly the way any other golfer plays it...there are also many that stretch the limits of the rules by declaring a handicap and being able to drive a cart from tee to green and doing more damage to the course,than a standard cart

The handicapped people I know want no special treatment,they would rather you treat them as normal human beings, they know what their physical limitations are, and dont need to be reminded of them

When I saw Ken Robbins win the Open at the Red River FT a couple of years ago it gave you a warm feeling inside because you would never realize that Ken has prosthetic devices, of course his dog marked so well that weekend and handled very well so we didnt get to see just how adept he was at using them

Raymond Little
06-27-2012, 04:02 PM
"I know Service Dogs was once a topic here. The ADA Guidelines have been updated and now business must accept Mini-Horses as guide animals."

Made me think of "Blazing Saddles" and Clevon Little.