PDA

View Full Version : No more pate in California

Gerry Clinchy
07-01-2012, 08:00 PM
Animal activists have had their way in California. Since it's inhumane to force feed the birds to make the pate de foie gras ... it will no longer be available in California.

..French news organizations have sent journalists to California,
wanting their own reporters on the ground as an entire state rejects an
ingredient synonymous with fine French cuisine. Daguin will spend the
ensuing weeks watching her West Coast customers file lawsuits, lobby
legislators and fight to put foie gras back on the menu. The whole
ordeal may end way it did in Chicago.

"We don't know for sure because this law is very vague," she said, "but
we've read like everybody else that the district attorneys of San
Francisco and Los Angeles are saying it's not really enforceable."
NAIA News

Guess they will work their way up the food chain ... chicken, pork, beef. They probably don't like hunting very much either.

Olliedog
07-02-2012, 11:30 AM
I don't think CA ( I was born and raised there) has a history of what might be considered a logical approach to it's laws. They have what could only be considered feel good legislation. For instance you can hunt predators with dog's ( dog's tend to get killed in the process). Even the AWB doesn't mean you can't get one. You get a modified one that. Makes a legislator feel good to know they " did something with those dangerous black rifles".

LokiMeister
07-02-2012, 02:43 PM
As someone that recently spent two weeks in France on holiday eating, among other things, foie gras, I hope common sense prevails and the animal rights activists are shot down (you can take that how ever you want). Foie gras is truly a delectable dish.

LokiMeister
07-02-2012, 02:44 PM
Gerri, you should change the name of your post. Foie gras is pate, pate isn't necessarily Foie gras.

BonMallari
07-02-2012, 06:06 PM
the restaurant I work at will soon stop serving Foie Gras, mainly because it is getting costly to find the product, many other finer dining establishments and top name chefs are not featuring it on their menus,probably more as a guard against the tree hugger PETA backlash they might receive

it sure is good with a fine pinot noir, or on top of a juicy steak with mushrooms followed by a dose of Lipitor,duck pate is also good stuff when served on a Ritz

Franco
07-02-2012, 07:04 PM
Well, lets hope they don't go after Hogshead Cheese! My mornings just wouldn't be the same without melting down a slab of Hogshead in a hot bowl of grits.

M&K's Retrievers
07-02-2012, 09:28 PM
Well, lets hope they don't go after Hogshead Cheese! My mornings just wouldn't be the same without melting down a slab of Hogshead in a hot bowl of grits.

Can you say Fido's ass?

Marvin S
07-02-2012, 10:13 PM

We butchered our own livestock & nothing was wasted - I never acquired a taste for fried brains, tongue, heart nor head cheese (a rendition of what was in the hog's head, including a generous application of lard) but we had some of the greatest cracklings one would want as we rendered our own lard. My job as a little guy was to gather all the odd's & ends of wood for the fire under the rendering kettle. Wasn't what you would store for a fireplace but worked in this scenario :). My grandpa loved the stuff & along with the beer (some of his own brewing) & a White Owl cigar once a week lived to the ripe old age of 99+. I can still smell those cigars :). $.05 in those days!!!!!!!

T. Mac
07-02-2012, 11:03 PM
And just in case there may be a few of you left who don't think we've gone completely bat sh!t crazy out here.
http://www.sacbee.com/2012/07/02/4604048/california-bill-would-allow-a.html

T. Mac

Uncle Bill
07-03-2012, 04:54 PM
We butchered our own livestock & nothing was wasted - I never acquired a taste for fried brains, tongue, heart nor head cheese (a rendition of what was in the hog's head, including a generous application of lard) but we had some of the greatest cracklings one would want as we rendered our own lard. My job as a little guy was to gather all the odd's & ends of wood for the fire under the rendering kettle. Wasn't what you would store for a fireplace but worked in this scenario :). My grandpa loved the stuff & along with the beer (some of his own brewing) & a White Owl cigar once a week lived to the ripe old age of 99+. I can still smell those cigars :). $.05 in those days!!!!!!!

I wasn't much for 'head cheese' either, Marvin. But after a long afternoon in sub-zero weather chasing rabbits with my .22, going into the granery where those slabs wrapped in cheesecloth were hanging, and slicing off a batch to eat with saltines and apple cider, I never recall turning my nose up at it. ;-)

My favorite job at butchering time was running the sausage stuffer. We'd make up 3 washtubs full of pork sausage, stuff it in casings, and hang it in the smoker shed. We still enjoy that Ashley N.D. recipe to day...the butchers today call it "fry sausage", and it's every bit as good as I recall in the early 50's.

UB

wayne anderson
07-03-2012, 09:01 PM
Another "old fart" memory: "Helping" my grandma making soap during hog butchering on the home farm in eastern SoDak, mid-to-late 1940s.

Olliedog
07-03-2012, 09:26 PM
Gerri, you should change the name of your post. Foie gras is pate, pate isn't necessarily Foie gras.

This isn't true . Foie Gras is the fattened liver of a duck or goose. This is typically (traditionally) produced by force feeding. It can be done with a less desirable end product in a more traditional feeding. The liver won't be comparable in size and arguably quality as well.